1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take for you to figure yourself out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyJunkIsYou, Oct 19, 2012.

1. MyJunkIsYou

I realized I was something other than straight nearly four years ago. But four years later I am still in a cloud of confusion over my sexuality.

I don't just mean in the sense of choosing a label, I mean that I really don't feel like I know who I am. I feel like I don't know what behavior and feelings are "real" and what is me testing myself/trying to fit/experimenting. I don't feel I can be natural, I don't know what is natural for me.

At times I just find it hard, when I have opportunities to start a relationship or become involved with someone I find I panic and over-analyze myself/actions/thoughts.
    I have tried to "experiment" with no success, if anything it's made me more confused.

I think my different types of attraction don't figure. I emotionally and physically am attracted to women I know that, but sexually I cannot work it out. I want to be, but I don't know if I'm kidding myself. With men I can be sexually turned on but I rarely feel any emotional connection and physically I think I merely appreciate them like I would a piece of art. How am I supposed to forge a relationship when my attractions don't add up.

How do I find out who I am? Or how do I deal with this never ending confusion. It seems other people get it figured out so quickly or they just know.

2. Mogget

I started questioning at thirteen or fourteen. At nineteen I started to ID as gay. At twenty-three I realized that I can be romantically attracted to women. It's an ongoing process.

3. FishMan27

For me, I knew something was different when I was twelve. Finally, at age 17, I know that I am definitely gay.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew that I was different when I was about 13 or 14. I accepted myself as bi at the end of my senior year of high school (So, I was 18). I realized that I was gay shortly after I turned 19.

5. Catkin

I had a few vague suspicions about four years ago, but I didn't pay them any attention. My uncertainty steadily grew since then, which brings me to my present (absolutely confused) state. It doesn't feel like I'll ever figure things out.

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's most definitely an on going process, it takes longer for some people to figure out everything. It took me 6 years; I'm still trying to figure everything out. Although, I do believe that my menstrual cycle has a lot to do with my crazy emotions. Attraction is a crazy thing, I think you should start writing down how you're feeling. My feelings were pretty consistent, so that's how I figure out that I'm more into women. I can appreciate a nice looking man, but any feelings that I've had never lasted. Just take your time, there's no rush...

7. I had a major crush on a guy when I was 15. At first I thought I was straight and bi-curious and that I was just gay for that special guy, but this crush made me realize I had attraction to other guys as well but I still liked girls.

The religion I was raised in (Catholic) made it harder to realize it, because instead of being bisexual, I thought I was switching from gay to straight. And I that I had to pray my gay feelings away (obviously, didn't work)

1 year and six months later, I woke up and said "nothing's wrong with being bi/gay" and here I am today. :slight_smile:

#7 wonderingdave01, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  8. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I started to have an idea at age 12, but I wasn't able to admit it to myself until now, at age of 20, so it took me a while. The important thing is that I figured it out eventually.

9. Jared

I started questioning when I was around 12, but didn't think I was gay until around a year ago, not long after I turned 18. I finally accepted it and embraced it a few months ago. So it is definitely a long process.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At 14 I started questioning and came to the conclusion that I wasn't straight at 15. by 16, I came out, but I still never got over my internalized homophobia and shame until this year.

11. livinglifefree

When I was in middle school (13 or 14), I started questioning my sexuality. I believed that I was straight and wrote off my attraction to other girls as flukes. When I was in high school, I started to notice my attraction to girls slightly more and for the first time I developed a real crush on a girl which eventually turned into love. It wasn't until my freshmen year of college (18 years old) that I really realized that I was bisexual. I was finding more girls sexually attractive than I had ever before and was still attracted to guys. I think the best thing is to stop pressuring yourself and just keep an open mind. It will all come to you eventually. Until then try to go with the flow of things. Sexuality is fluid so it makes it hard to pin down sometimes.

12. aeva

I didn't realize til I was probably about 16, and didn't identify as gay til 19. A year later, there are still days that I question, just the tiniest bit. I know for sure I'm attracted to women, but I think there might be the tiniest sliver of attraction to men too, but I'm not interested in acting on it.

13. qboy

A long time! I remember that ever since primary school (so 9 / 10) that I was different to others - tended to prefer hanging out with the girls (although in High School I never really bonded with any of them so ended up with just a couple of close male-friends) where we watched the boys who were playing football (as opposed to watching the boys play football!) and play with my little sister and her toys.

As I went though High School I never started feeling the attraction towards girls that most of the other boys did and then when I was 15 I read something which basically said that the insults which had been thrown at me for the last five years were words that meant I was attracted to other guys (and was the first time I realised that it was possible) and it started something inside me - is the reason I don't fancy girls because I fancy guys? Took until I was 17 until I started realising that yup, I did fancy guys. At that point I kinda knew I was gay but kept trying to hide it (however during this time I did come out as gay in some online communities) and finally at 24 admitted to myself yep I'm gay - not a chance of being bi and therefore passing off as straight. Took another half decade before I mustered up the courage of telling someone else - just hope I can make the next step before another half decade passes!

14. MattC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm in my late 20s and I've always felt something was odd about me. I liked sex with women yea but I was "grossed out" by certain parts of the female anatomy. It was fairly recent (within last year) that I started taking the time to review my memories, thoughts, actions and such over my life. Between looking back and within I was able to determine that I'm about 50/50 (so bi). Since the many realizations I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I actually for the first time in ages feel happy and secure.

15. Ticklish Fish

like 4-5 years?
    I kind of knew I like guys in middle school and maybe even elementary, but I didn't bother trying to rationalize and be calm myself to figure out myself until 4 years of HS and 1 year of college...

16. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've identified as gay for about six months now, but I'm not sure if that's the right term anymore. I've been aroused by men since I was about 13, but it's still confusing...sooo...not everyone is in the same spot :icon_bigg

17. VanceA

I knew I wasn't attracted to girls when I was 14 and identified loosely as asexual until I came out as gay to myself at 26.

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some limited ways, I've always known I'm attracted to males and females, and don't exactly identify as male. However I didn't really start accepting the first part until a few years ago, and I'm still trying to work out the latter...

19. jaysuss

I knew I was gay in 7th grade but i tried for 4 years to change myself so that i would be accepted. I broke a lot of hearts by doing that and I regret that choice. Now i am going to identify as gay.

20. burg

i knew since i was 12.i went to a boarding school so my attraction towards guys came out pretty strong.playing games there like gay chicken prob helped.