GLBT or LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by metoo, Oct 10, 2012.

?

GLBT or LGBT or neither

1. GLBT

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. LGBT

66 vote(s)
    77.6%
  3. other/neither

15 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Ruthven

LGBT flows better for me. Sometimes I'll say LGBTQ+ when I want to be more general and stuff, because LGBTAQQI and so on is too long.

2. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, I never knew there was so much controtrovery over what to lable people as.

I think I like GMS the best. The rainbow people was also a cute idea.

3. It doesn't matter.

Use what term you like

That is all.

4. itsjoanna

why does it matter lol

5. Kiazt

Kiazt Guest

I use both interchangeably, but I'm used to hearing GLBT more because that's the one that my school's GSA uses. (The one that I'm not in, haha.)

Whatever floats your boat, though.

6. aeva

LGBT is easier for me, and I always am taken aback for a second when somebody says GLBT. I agree with the alphabet soup comment, although I don't think the alternative is necessarily queer (although I don't have a personal problem with the word). It would be nice to have an all-inclusive term though.

7. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Neither. I'm not really into the alphabet soup that LGBT has become--there's, what, LGBTQIA (nevermind that intersex should not to be lumped in with trans/gender identities, but whatever) and stupid acronyms like QUILTBAG now... is that supposed to sound cute? (Spoiler alert: It doesn't.)

Just... whatever. "Queer" is my preferred catch-all term I guess, though it's become annoying in that even straight people are trying to appropriate queer identity (the rationality, here, being that as long as you're not "heteronormative", even if you are straight, you're queer? NO. Stop. Stop appropriating our terms just because you're bored with heterosexuality.) IDK, as you can probably tell it all kind of gives me a headache... identity politics are absolutely ridiculous.

#47 waitingfordawn, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I been saying LGBT longer so LGBT

9. Bree

You're missing a lot of people in either acronym. The one that I was taught was LGBTQ*, with the asterisk explaining that the letters could go on and on depending on which labels you added to it.

I use Queer as a catch-all too, but I also understand that a lot of older people find it derogatory, and quite a few transpeople don't consider themselves to be queer.