1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever date someone flamboyant?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebrightficus, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Pyrotactick

I prefer a more casual person, maybe even formal...flamboyant isn't my cup of tea, just as long as they're not revealing.

2. Alexander69

Flamboyant? Whats that? Like feminine? I can be rather bitchy so does that count?

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2012 at 11:31 PM ----------

But I like more manly guys like more tough can take charge, sporty tanned but is fashionable

3. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how you perceive flamboyant? If you associate flamboyant guys with being feminine then I don't think I would. I work with a few guys like this and I don't really get on with them. They are really bitchy and obsessed with materialistic possessions... I have very little in common with these guys so doubt I'd be able to have a relationship with any of them.

If you mean flamboyant in the way that WooEEE has defined it then I probably would. I tend to make light of any situation and am always making jokes, probably due to my insecurities, so have been described as flamboyant by friends. However I'm not really feminine acting and get along much better with straight guys. If I was to meet a guy who was flamboyant in this way then I would definitely date him as we'd be more likely to have things in common.

4. pinetrees

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd like to think so, but I'm honestly not entirely sure. It would depend on the person's character, charms, heart and mind.

5. sguyc

3 Months ago I would have said no. Then I met a few flamboyant gays, and they are awesome and in my opinion are sexier in attitude than more reserved guys.

6. knight of ni

Yeah, I'd date a camp guy. I'm dating one now, in fact, and have been for some time!

7. King

King Guest

You... you.

Fuck yeah I would. Straight-acting people annoy me, no offense.

8. Luke Matt

Call me shallow, but I just don't think I could. I'm not personally attracted to flamboyant gay guys; I like guys because they're 'guys', not women.

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. I find it adorable.

10. Yeah, oops, my definition of 'flamboyant' is similar to what you described. My bad.

Someone who's sentimental, cheery, always with a smile, jokingly pokes fun of each other in a silly way but not completely 'straight acting'.

Yeah, sorry for the misconception. lol. I didn't mean really ultra feminine men (which was why I put in mannerism to try and clear that up). I forgot my definitions of things are sometimes NOT politically correct or anywhere near the general idea of others'

11. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Can I point out, first of all, that being "flamboyant" is not the same thing as "womanly." The word you're looking for is "effeminate." There's a difference, and by acting as if there isn't one, you're perpetuating antiquated gender and societal stereotypes which is a huge part of the reason, if the not the reason, that homophobia is running so rampant in general society and even among ourselves in the LGBT community.

That being said, I would date anyone that I was attracted to, and I've been attracted to and been hit on by guys that were masculine and feminine and everywhere in-between. If I had to describe my dream guy, he would be somewhere in the middle. I'm not interested in a hairy macho-man with a machismo complex, nor am I interested in a lisping bitchy queen. If I could find someone who cared about fashion and had legitimate style and has a patron diva, but is also pretty brave and adventurous and drinks his whiskey straight from the bottle, then I'd be all about him.

12. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  13. Gen

Gen

You beat me to it. This ^

Flamboyance is not femininity. There isnt much of a problem with assuming that someone who is flamboyant is feminine. But it is incorrect to think that someone who is feminine is flamboyant.

For instance, I am partially feminine. I love my flamboyant friends, but I'm too much of a laidback person to have the energy. Femininity and Masculinity are essentially having a softer or harder demeanor. It has nothing to do with limp wrist and lisps. Althought this topic is about flamboyance, the mistake is almost always made elsewhere. Just because someone is more femininity does not mean that I wear makeup or walk like a model. Or dont do 'guy' things. :/

14. jvn95

I dunno 100%

But my answer, No.

I'm not all that flamboyant myself, I want someone who acts restrained and collected. That's just my own tastes though, I act collected most of the time. When I get going though, people are like "Dude are you gay?"

15. JPC5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As long as they aren't being ridiculous with it just for the hell of it I'd have no trepidation with being with a more flamboyant guy. I'm not very effeminate in appearance anyway, so I certainly wouldn't want to go out with someone who's like me in every way possible.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be all for going out with someone who's more effeminate than I am... but it'd be interesting to see, since the way I'm effeminate is more of a childish way than someone else might be effeminate.

17. AAASAS

Urgh ha, The op meant flamboyant not fem.

There is a huge difference, I do not know too many flamboyant girls, but I know a ton of flamboyant guys, my guy friends can act flamboyantly. It literally just means cherry and happy, there is masculine flamboyancy. A guy yelling "Heyyy!" in a really deep long way to a friend is flamboyant, so is a flamer saying "Hey!" in a high pitched voice with the auto dropped wrist image there.

People need to get a dictionary. I am flamboyant, but I've also been called Jaded, and those are two complete opposites. I've also been told that I am "such a guy", "have absolutely nothing metro about me", "am a wolfman", "am a hungry man", been called a million "masculine" things, my nickname at work besides Google is Turbo because I work ridiculously hard and can pick up things that weigh more than me. I'm also really loud, happy, jokey and flamboyant. So there are complete extremes.

The majority of people that know me think of me as a "tank" and "flamboyant" so it's not really a feminin trait.

It has tendencies to get tied into "dramatic", "attention seeker", and "over the top", but all you have to do to be flamboyant is just always be "on". I can send someone a return insult quickly, I make note of my surroundings out loud all the time "God Damn its Cold", I ask people questions, I make conversation.

So the answers of most people from the thread are to the wrong question. Some got it right though.

A flamboyant person is, even though I fucking hate the guy, Dane Cook, or Russel Brand, or Jim Carrey, or Mike Myers, or Robin Williams, a lot of comedians have flamboyant comedians, anyone that is over the top, Eddie Murphy, fucking most of them.

Dane Cook, Russel Brand, Eddie Murphy and Robin Williams are probs the best examples I can think of even though there are definitely a lot more.

---

I'd also like to retract my original post, I'd be more likely to date someone who is flamboyant, I don't get a long with super mellow people, well I can be friends with them. I am the type that like people to show me they're relaxed and in a good mood too, I find too laid back guys boring. Even when I'm relaxing I'm laughing and having a good time, my idea of relaxed is watching South Park, or playing COD. Though I can get heavily into reading textbooks and watching Nature videos, that pretty much makes everyone I know fall asleep, but I'm still flamboyant about that.

A guy who was fem and flamboyant, or flamboyant in a girly way, definately not, I don't get excited about a sale at "Insert Slave Shop Child Labour Store Name Here". My anti-consumerism and overall disgust in Western Pop Culture really stops me from having any fem traits what so ever. Unfortunately most girly traits revolve around mindless materialism. Not to say girls are materialistic, but it seems they've been stuck with the shitty stereotypes.

#37 AAASAS, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope I wouldn't date someone flamboyant (and I hate to say it but...not sure I'd even be friends (or atleast not hang out with) them) .. its not so much that I'd dislike someone simply because they're flamboyant, its more so me..not being out and such

19. Colours

I prefer more masculine guys (assuming we're talking about femininity here), I'm not a fan of feminine guys. I mean when it comes to dating but also in general. I don't know why, maybe it has to do with the fact that I am a little bit feminine myself.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try though. I think if I'm open to it I could 'enjoy' it (lack of a better word).