1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad to drink and smoke underage?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Oct 1, 2012.

?

What is your preference

1. Find smoking and drinking sexy

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Find smoking and drinking disgusting/trashy

47 vote(s)
    92.2%
  1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Drinking can be okay in moderation, and I'm fine with that. Smoking is a complete dealbreaker. Also, the poll doesn't relate to the thread title.

Underage drinking can be okay in my view, but smoking is not okay at any age.

For lack of a better option separating the two activities, I picked "Find smoking and drinking disgusting/trashy."

#21 Pret Allez, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Ireland, which is known for its drinking culture and underage drinking habits.

I have no problem with alcohol, and I'm not going to be one of those bores who can't even drink at a dinner party or a social night out, but I haven't had it yet.

Part of my problem is not to do with alcohol, but more to do with the culture involved in underage drinking here in Ireland. People go to the woods and get up to all sorts drunk out of their mind and then can't remember it the next day. Teenagers are obsessed with drink. It's kind of pathetic and scary at the same time.

I'm going to drink in my twenties when I am with people I am comfortable with or whatever. But I have no desire to go to parties and get "plastered" and not remember trouncing around in my own vomit. That is disgusting. So drinking, I don't mind. But binge drinking and obsessing about it? No thanks.

Smoking is also a deal breaker for me. I know it's addictive, but why on Earth you would try it in the first place is beyond me. There is absolutely nothing good about it... the stained teeth, bad breath, and the type of weak person (probably generalising here) that succumbs to the pressure to smoke are all things I would like to avoid!

3. Wrongdaytodie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like drinking, drugtaking or smoking. I'm straight edge, and I don't like or enjoy being around people who do any of the above.
    Also I'm asthmatic so I can't be around people who smoke. Everyone in my family does, and I find it really distasteful and all of them smell.. Also you get ill.. I hate it.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although there are stereotypes about the drinking of the Irish, that culture doesn't sound unique to me. Many American younglings have the tendency to behave with similar reckless abandon.

5. Pyrotactick

...I'm just going to say smoking is bad for you...but I'm fine with drinking as long as it's not drunk....wait....do you mean drinking as in boozed out?

6. Alexander69

No... Well like ya I used to drink to get drunk but now I don't. Ok so I'm arguing with my friend and SHE is pissing me off so much and I'm so stressed and like I said before I quit smoking for months now and lately I've been craving one and right now I FEEL LIKE I NEED ONE IDK WHAT TO DO I HAVE ONE my brothers girl friend gave me one and now I'm so tempted to have it idk what to do some convincing would be really helpful right now..... I wish I never started smoking it's so bad OMG I wish I didn't like it :frowning2: idk why I have been craving it lately :frowning2: OMG ex smokers help before I start again I know I can resist but I'm so stressed and I'm so tempted :frowning2:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Toss the cigarette you have right now. You know that's the right choice. That way, you make the it harder to give into the temptation.

If you smoke that one, you know it won't be the only one you smoke, and you know you worked hard to give up smoking. Don't fuck it up.

Follow the instructions I gave you earlier for dealing with the stress feelings. Get some licorice sticks, naturally flavored. The fennel flavoring contains some of the same constituents as are in cigarettes and will help with the cravings, plus having the licorice stick in your mouth will help with the biorhythm of wanting the cigarette in your mouth.

8. BiErik

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have more resiliant body when you are younger, so the effects long term may not be as severe, but the male body doesn't stop developing until your late twenties. Excessive alcohol consumption and usage of drugs interfere with that developement. Mild consumption of alcohol is actually beneficial to your health.

My personal beliefs on underage consumption isn't that it is trashy but that it I'd sad. If you youngsters only knew how much potential you had, how much you really had to offer I don't think you or your peers would use this stiff at all.

9. Colours

Smoking... I wouldn't call it sexy, though I think I have called it sexy once. There's just something about it. But it's not like it really makes a difference in liking someone (since I smoke myself, I'd be okay with a smoker OR a non-smoker).

I've personally been smoking habitual for a good year now, and I regret having started it. At that time I hadn't been smoking in a while, but before it, I would smoke now and then, at parties and stuff (party smokers as we call it here). When I started a good year ago, I had the same intention, but it just got worse and worse and within no time I needed to get a new pack of cigarettes almost every other day...
    Whenever someone asks me since how long I've been smoking... I say for a year... and they're like oh that's a short time blabla. Kind of embarrassing really.
    I've tried to quit a few times but the furthest I got was two weeks I think. So now I'm just like; 'Oh sure I'll quit. Some day.'

The legal age for drinking in my country is 16... as it should be. Hard drinks though, you need to be 18 for. As it should be. I started drinking when I was 16... maybe 15. There was a time when no week would go by without me drinking, but that was when I was 18 I think. It's not that bad anymore.

10. kestrel

Something about your frontal lobes not fully forming until you're 21 and alcohol affecting emotional development. I don't know that might have just been something someone made up to tell teenagers at some point. Probably something you could google. Alcohol isn't all fun and games, if you think you have a problem try to stop, really.

11. Lewis

Neither of the options provided apply to me. Smoking and drinking either way is not healthy, we all know that. It's a choice whether we do so and I wouldn't judge anybody for choosing to do either. I smoke and drink regularly and I am fully aware of the health implications I am inflicting on myself.

I personally choose to live for the now. If I wanna smoke and drink, I will. If in 50 years I have some form of heart disease or cancer, then I'll face that hurdle when I get to it. I wouldn't recommend smoking and drinking, but if you wish to try either, do it. You're going to eventually anyways.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since it seems clear this is something you aren't happy about, I would suggest addressing it sooner rather than later. It becomes harder the longer you smoke, and the damage to your body likewise continues.

There are three different elements associated with smoking: the physical addiction, which lasts only 2 or 3 days, the psychological patterning (holding the cigarette, the sensation of the smoke in your lungs, etc.) and the purpose it serves (reducing anxiety, etc.)

So to effectively quit and stay away from them, you have to address all three of those, and usually it's the third one that people don't pay attention to.

If it's something you want to work on quitting, post a separate thread and we can offer help, support, and suggestions.

13. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Smoking of any sort is completely gross.

Drinking is okay in moderation. If someone just has a drink or two on the occasion, then that's okay with me. But I really don't like regular drinkers (especially those who do so because of partying).

14. timo

I didn't vote in the poll. I don't think smoking or drinking is gross, but not sexy either.

The legal drinking age is 16 here, and alcohol is completely accepted. I'm actually having a beer as we speak (it's 10pm here, don't worry US people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). However, if a guy is completely wasted twice a week it would, most probably, be a dealbreaker. A guy smoking a lot would be a dealbreaker too, but I'm fine with a cig once in a while. Used to do it myself too. It wasn't more than just a packet a month and only when around friends, e.g. when they went out smoking. Haven't smoked in about two months now though. Not so much for the health issues, cause in all honesty I don't care that much about that (like Lewis said, live for the now), but I didn't want to spend any more money on it cause shit is expensive.

Long story short: moderate drinking and a bit of smoking would be fine. Heavy smoking and drinking = goodbye.

15. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I know that this kind of behaviour is common around the world. But I think I failed to get across how obsessed — I mean totally and utterly obsessed — people are with drink here in Ireland. Like it occupies every kind of social conversation from the ages of 13-17, and when you hit 17, then people are obsessed about learning to drive. But still, maybe it's not as unique as I thought.

16. HatterMad

I don't think it's sexy. I think it's gross. I tried smoking a couple times when handed one by someone...nasty stuff. But kids look relaly dumb smoking, sorry to those of you who do it, but it's jsut how I feel.

First time I got drunk I was 10. And I wish I never drank again, but soemtimes I have. It seems to help through some really bad times, even thouhg I know it's bad for me. I won't say I"ll never drink again, but I will say I'm going to try not to.

17. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't smoke dude its not cool at all not to mention its bad for your health and you'll end up smelling horrible afterwards whenever you feel the need to smoke try taking your mind off of it by doing something you really love to do ie. play video games,write music,draw something or whatever it is you like to do but don't smoke you'll end up regretting it forever as far as the drinking goes if your going to drink do it moderation and avoid getting drunk or passing out because that isn't good for you either.

18. catcherinrye2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find smoking to be a big turn off, but drinking is okay when you're with people you trust and in moderation. I've seen too many kids be taken to the hospital because they've overdone it.

19. SundayGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Trashy. If you're a non-smoker, making out with an ashtray mouth is just gross.

And since I have yet to see much responsible, moderate under-age drinking, no to that as well. I know, it seems awesome at the time, but you'll look back and cringe a little. At least I do.