1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me some words of encouragement

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Sep 26, 2012.

1. JakeHas

Hey bud, just listen for a moment. I understand what you are going through, this is a really tough time for you, as well as for everyone. You are not alone in this world and there are many like you. I read the whole letter you plan to give your parents, and no lie, I shed a few tears. You have amazing aspirations and with the attitude I see in that letter, it will get you far! Don't let fear overcome you. I believe now is the time you can achieve this, I believe you have the ability to give this to your parents one way or another. If you don't give it to them in your next trip (this weekend) it's completely understandable because of how you are feeling. Every one of us LGTB's have had to go through this, some more painful than others.
    You though, you have truly inspired me personally with your letter. It was heart-felt, matter-of-fact, and straight to the point. Bud, I want you to try. I say that personally to you. I know you can do it, and don't let feeling, emotions, or anything else get in way of that. If you aren't ready just yet this weekend, it's understandable. But if you know in yourself you are ready to give this letter to your parents, do it. I don't want you to have to live in confusion or even denial. Waiting it out wont help too very much, but it wont hurt (depending on how long you wait of course).
    I would love to hear the story that you did it. If not, that's alright and understandable.
    Reach your goals, put your skill to the test, and don't let your brain overpower you. I know you can do it!
    Best of luck!
    ~Jake

2. maxx

Mlpguy - it is up to you now - we know you can do it - you just have to decide to want to start your real life - the one you were made to live! It is yours for the taking! You just need to make that leap of faith!

Come on in the water's fine!

(*hug*)
    Maxx

3. AAASAS

I did this dude, and never regretted it. I am only out to my family, and it was a relief to know they were cool with it.

I left a letter for my mom and left for the week on vacation with my buddies. It literally was no stressful at all, once you leave the letter, and leave your house, there is no going back, but you don't actually have to "jump off the cliff" and tell your parents(which is what I was terrified) you just get to let the piece of paper do everything.

I regretted it once I left the paper, because I still was unsure, but I made myself leave the house.

So my only words of advice are not to give it to them or let them find it until the day you are leaving. Right before you leave put it in a place you know they'll find it, but no right away. And just leave it there. You know in a day or two, or maybe a couple of hours they'll read it, and it'll be done.

A letter is the least stressful and most relieving way of coming out. I'm not a very gushy person in real life, but I was able to be on paper, which helped. So I highly advise you do this.

By the way I am 22, and I did this when I was 20 I think. So I think you can do it.

* I only did this because I knew they'd be ok with it and I was just too chicken to tell them in real life. I only advise doing this if you have parents that aren't homophobic and are accepting good people.

4. The Queen Bee

You can always give them the letter after you left the house... or drop it in an obvious place.
    Reading a letter and not having you face to face will give them time to process things and organize their thoughts. So next time they talk to you, chances are they'll be calmer... or at least less shocked.

Good luck.
    Sounds good what you're doing.