1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me some words of encouragement

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will be going home for the weekend tomorrow to see my parents and I plan on taking my coming out letter with me. I know I won't actually do it, but there is a very small part of me that is considering it. I tend to go home every couple of weeks anyway so this thread might get kicked up again in the future.

This is probably very pointless but could anyone give me some encouragement to do this, I am hoping to gain a small shred of confidence. Just anything you can think of that might help a scared closet case.

2. olin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Contemplating was a great first step. Writing the letter was a great second step. It sounds like you are ready to do it!

3. O_Negative

You can do this! I know its a silly analogy but think of it like pulling off a bandaid. If you do not want to deal with the anticipation of them reading the letter, read it to them. Anticipation is very often worse than the event itself. I say go for it asap. Do it a little while before you plan on leaving again if you are nervous, It will give them a little time to react but then you can go back to (school I assume?) and let them cool down a bit. If you wait til your next visit you might have talked yourself out of it worse. Maybe you'll keep saying next time, and never do it.

I wish you the best of luck! You can get through this!

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you don't give them the letter, just the fact that you could give it to them, that you've got everything lined up on place to enable yourself to do it means you've come a really long way!
    Don't sweat it if you can't do it yet, but you should definitely be pretty proud of yourself that you're contemplating.

5. AlexisAnne

I have to agree with the others on the thread. There's absolutely nothing that says you HAVE to do it this weekend. It's something you'll do when you're ready, and the prep that you've put into this shows that, if you're not ready now, you will be soon. When you do take that step, be prepared for an emotional roller coaster. I don't know how your parents will react, but when I came out to my mother, I was far more emotional about it then she was.

I know about the fear, and I can also tell you, at least in my experience, that's probably going to be there until you do it. As was mentioned earlier, the anticipation is usually worse then anything else. If you're waiting for a calm to come over you, it probably isn't going to happen. :slight_smile:

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you! I hope it goes well. Judging from your post, I'd guess that if it doesn't happen this weekend, it's going to happen soon. The letter isn't my cup of tea, but I know it's a tried and true method and works really well for some people, so I think you're probably on the right track for you.

Enough of my rambling now. I tend to go on.

6. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. spectrumsigner

Don't push yourself to do it if you're not ready.

If you are... go for it!! And I hope it turns out much better than you're expecting.

Here for you if you need anything.

8. O_Negative

Oh dear I do apologize. I hope I didn't sound pushy! I agree with the fact that if you are not ready, then that's fine. But if you are...you got this!

9. AlexisAnne

If I came off as pushy as well I apologize. Ultimately you know when you're ready. If you are, go for it. If you're not, then take the time you need to work up to it.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a very beautiful letter and I think it's time that you give it to your Mom. I got teary eyed reading it because I know it feels. I think you should go with your gut feeling and do whatever it is telling you to do. Our instincts usually drive us in the right direction, make sure you keep us updated on your decision :slight_smile:

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not wish you luck. You already have that.
    Instead, I wish you confidence. The gargoyle's got your back. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trying in-itself counts for a lot. Here is to some encouragement to go for it. You can do it. Before you give the letter to your parents, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that thins will be fine. :slight_smile:

13. the frizz

The thing about parents is that they love you regardless, or at least they should. I haven't come out to mine yet and I'm definitely scared to tell them but I know in the end, I owe it to them and myself to be honest.

I really hope that it goes well for you. You need to remember that you deserve to be happy.

14. lwp08reh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude, do not start you're letter with I'M SORRY! DO NOT APOLOGIZE BECAUSE IT IMPLIES YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG WHEN ALL YOU'RE DOING IS BEING HONEST ABOUT WHO YOU ARE, THAT IS NOT A CRIME SO DON'T SAY SORRY!

Excuse the Caps but I think this is a really important point. Maybe rephrase it ' you may have noticed that I've been withdrawn recently etc.'

15. TheUndiscovered

You have to accept the fact that your parents were raised in an environment where homosexuals were being highly condemned. no matter what position you are in coming out will always be hard and if you believe its time you tell your parents then you just have to tell yourself to be strong because it will have to happen sometime . your parents may not act the way you want them to but I think if you give them time they will realize you are the same person you've always been.

16. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in the situation again so I'm bumping this. I need some motivation

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe try this first: stand in front of the mirror, and say out loud to yourself: I want to come out to my parents.

Try to gauge as to how you feel. Do you feel ready?

If so, take a deep breath and remind yourself that "yep, I can do this" and give the letter to your parents. If it makes it easier, give it to your mom or dad first.

... and here is to some more encouragement: You can do this! :slight_smile:

18. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do it!
    The first time is always the hardest. I remember I was shaking and wanted to vomit and die but every time after that it's gotten so much easier.
    It only gets easier from here on out, you've just got to be ready to take the plunge. :slight_smile:

19. maxx

mlpguy88 - I don't know your parents but I think I know you from your posts - you are a good, caring, warm-hearted person - and I can only imagine someone like that must come from parents who love you at their core. You are a wonderful person - let that shine. Cast off the shame, the guilt - you don't need it anymore. You can be yourself - because the person who you truly are is even more amazing than the person you've been. Let the rest of the world see that. Celebrate the person you are - because we do.

Love,
    Maxx

20. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bumping....again

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and this weekend seems like a good importunity so can someone give me a good kick in the pants