1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can money make or break a relationship for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jared

This. I'd have no problem being with someone isn't making a lot of money as long as they are doing something worthwhile and aren't sitting around all day expecting me to pay for everything, I refuse to support a leach. My family is fairly well off, so I've been lucky when it comes to money, but I've been used by "friends" for my money and I don't want to feel like I'm buying someone's friendship or love ever again. To me, love and happiness is far more important than money, but I don't want to be the only one providing either.

@Alexander69 I agree with Lex, why are you paying for everyone else's good time. I can afford a lot more than most of my friends, but I won't indulge them constantly, I barely indulge myself. When we go places I usually drive since I can afford to more than they can, but other than that we usually pay for our own or take turns. Occasionally I spring for expensive stuff(usually nice restaurants, I love good food) and pay for everyone's, but that doesn't happen very often.

2. FJ Cruiser

Well for students my age, most are still fairly dependent on their parents, so I don't see why money would be a defining factor for a person at this point in my life. I don't see wealth as being attractive, but I think I would see poverty as unattractive. I realize there are a ton of contributing factors to low income and I'm not one to judge. But when it comes to dating and searching for a partner, I definitely reserve the right to judge. Unless you're doing something like working for the Peace Corp, supporting your family, or otherwise have exceptional circumstances, then I will assume you lack ambition or planning. Sorry, I'm just not attracted to starving artists and academicians.

That said, if I found the guy of my dreams, and one or both of us fell on hard times, then I wouldn't give a crap.

#22 FJ Cruiser, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. Aielar

Doesn't matter to me, I'd be open to having a relationship with someone from either end of the socioeconomic scale. It all depends on the person. If they're low income, then what are they doing to make more money? If they're rich, then are they handling money well...and more importantly, are they letting their wealth trick them into believing they are better than those who don't have as much money?

The way my life is going, I'm probably going to end up somewhere in middle class, so it'd be nice to meet someone who will have a similiar income to me - while I don't mind supporting someone (my age) temporarily in between jobs, I don't want that to be a permanant thing. Likewise, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable being with someone who makes more income, but again it all depends on who the person is.

4. Countervail

^ I agree with what Aielar said.

I have thought about this a long time ago and decided that money will not be the deciding factor whether or not my relationship with my partner goes on or collapses.

With my present life, I am still supported by my parents, so I don't get why money would be the deciding factor.

5. factwithinfiction

The way I do is if they have enough to sustain themselves then we're good. I really dont need them buying me gifts for every occasion and I really don't want to have to pay their rent/necessities/etc every month while they're sitting on the couch doing nothing. So no it doesn't make or break but it does help both of us if they have enough to sustain themselves. Also that being said, I'm not stingy about helping but if it becomes something they're dependent on then we have a problem...

6. i broke up with an ex of mine over money issues...... that sounds really bad i know :|

she knew i had a job (she didnt have one) and we went on a few days break away and she didnt bring a single penny with her to spend on essentials i.e food. apart from a load of money to spend on xbox games she wanted and expected me to buy everything else for her e.g food. :dry:

still feel bad to this day, kinda feel it was my own fault for not telling her to bring money for herself.... but you would just do that anyways i would assume, but obv not....

but it wouldnt be and isnt usually an issue (apart from that instance lol).

7. timo

This.

I don't care about money that much. Not right now, anyway. I'm a student whose bank account is full time drained, but once I've graduated and have found a job with a decent income my opinions might change. We'll see.