1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a good idea to move to Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JasmineFirebird, Sep 20, 2012.

1. I hear Liberal states are less oppressive and are more friendly to the LGBT community.
    I also reap that a College in Minnesota made it in the top 25 LGBT friendly colleges list it wa called university of minnesota twin lakes.
    I also read up that it's actually ranked number two in the 2012 top ten best states to live in for the next five years because of it's economic status.

Utah was number one but I'm not sure because of the religious organizations there in Utah. I feel uncomfortable around religious organizations.

2. FollowtheFreeman

I live in Wisconsin so I can't say anything for certain, but for the most part the midwest is a nice place to live.

3. Wisconson was also in the top ten states list too lol

I Hear good things about the midwest region also.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's a nice place, with nice people, and a general sense of openmindedness, but C-O-L-D compared to Georgia. As long as ice, snow, and below-zero temperatures for a significant portion of the year don't bother you, it's a very reasonable choice. :slight_smile:

5. mojoe

I can't so much speak about the LGBT community because I feel no real ties to it. I have my own sort of community. I feel that's fairly representative of the midwest. It doesn't really matter who or what you happen to be. People are very open and seem to create their own very inclusive communities. I live on the border of Minnesota, in Wisconsin. Truth be told, a majority of the midwest is much of the same and you can easily get lost between the two states, unable to tell any real difference. I love the midwest and couldn't think of a better place to live. I've gotten used to the cold, and have embraced it. The winters do take some getting used to. I'm actually excited for the first snowfall!

6. RedState

One word answer: No.

Minnesota has only 2 seasons: Winter and the 4th of July.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2012 at 09:11 PM ----------

Besides, if you are looking for cities that are gay friendly try somewhere closer and less brutal when it comes to climate..Atlanta maybe? That's a city of 6.5 million people..and half of them are gay as fuck

7. I was wondering is the Winter the same as New Mexico Winter because I miss the winter season. I don't think i should move back to New Mexico because I see it as a dead end over there now. It would get 10 Below Zero and some blizzards in the winter time back home. I was wondering if the Winter in Minnesota would too extreme because of that.

I also don't like Georgia because everything here doesn't make sense on how the state is operating and I hate the heat and extreme humidity that comes with it.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2012 at 05:17 PM ----------

I hated Atlanta. I went to visit for four days and it's a place I wouldn't want to live.

I don't like Georgia in general. No offense to any Georgia residents.

8. RedState

Different strokes I guess...I love ATL...when I'm not confined to the airport there that is.

Had a lot of good times and a lot of success in that town.

Looking for a place..from a college standpoint...that has a friendly atmosphere is good and all..but in the end if it is a shitty college what does that get you in the end?

Not a whole lot.

Look towards what is best suited for your particular major/interest, not your lifestyle...because, in the end, it's the quality of your degree..not who you like to be with...that will pay your bills. Just my 2 cents.

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others have said, it depends on what you're looking for. Though I don't think it's that cold - I'm from the upper midwest and I wouldn't say we have below zero temperatures for a significant portion of the year. Below freezing, yeah, but not below zero. :slight_smile: And fall and winter can be really nice.

In terms of what the state offers for gay people, I've heard it's one of the top places for gay people to be in a relationship and have children or otherwise build a family. I can't pinpoint where I heard that or how old the information is, but if nothing else there are good rumors floating around. Plus you get to go to Caribou Coffee shops. :slight_smile:

On the legal side, there's a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage up for the vote in November, but that's yet to be decided. Any one person can petition to adopt a child, though, including lgbt people (a little fuzzy on if both people in a relationship can get custody, but it seems to happen), and gender identity and sexual orientation are both included in workplace anti-discrimination laws, so there's that.

10. Oh well... Minnesota is still something I could look at. There are a few other states I'm looking to info about. There's Colorado, Montana, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Utah.

I'm not sure what I should do anyway.

11. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Midwest is a very nice place! I love it here in Nebraska! I've only been to Minnesota twice, but most places here in the Midwest, even in the more conservative parts, are accepting of LGBT people, at least from what I've seen. I'm not at liberty to say much more than that since I'm only in high school, but it's a good place to live.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, I was slightly exaggerating. And my memory is probably colored by being there in the winter a dozen times and in the summer and fall only once or twice :slight_smile: But having lived in northern Ohio... and now living in California... it would take a lot to get me to move back to the midwest :slight_smile:

13. TheKidWhoRuns

Having lived 25 minutes away from minnesota in IA I would say this is not a bad choice. It was the perfect place to grow up. People are friendly, communities are close knit and people are for the most part accepting plus you have the Twins and Vikings! Also I know that the upper midwest, Mn, Wi, Ia, Nd, Sd all have realtively good economic outlooks. Lastly winter usually lasts from mid oct to mid march with dec-feb having chances of being below 0. If you are north of the TC then it will be winter longer though..