1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook: In Need of Gender-Neutral Pronoun

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheEdend, Sep 18, 2012.

1. seeksanctuary

No, which is why I added a "maybe", but I was more thinking that they weren't inherently offensive. Sure, some people will find them offensive. But it's not the same level as "it".

2. spectrumsigner

I'm signing this! I think FB should ask you in your settings whether you would rather be referred to by male, female, or gender-neutral pronouns. I'm cisgendered and have no problem being called "she/her" but I know that would be really offensive to people who identify differently. Facebook should accommodate this need.

3. Ianthe

This is what currently happens if you leave the gender box blank.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

"They" is still considered incorrect for standard English if it refers to a single person. "They" is only correct for plural.

4. Ridiculous

Bit of a shame that the singular is "it"...
    I always use "they" anyway.

5. Zontar

As someone with excellent writing skills, simultaneously I understand that language evolves naturally to suit the needs of its people. "They" is entirely acceptable, in my opinion, as a singular neuter pronoun for individuals ("it" almost always being used in the context of objects).

It's also considerably less awkward: calling yourself "ze" makes you sound like you drive a Volkswagen bus, dress in tie dye and peace medallions, and engage in continual campaigns to save the whales.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am told that singular they is technically correct, but I still hate the sound of it. I think we really do need to get some real gender-neutral pronouns going.

7. highlights