1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pact for Attending LGBT Meetings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by castle walls, Sep 6, 2012.

1. BudderMC

It might be different with a GSA (since it's supposedly for gay and straight people), but the only really weird thing for me (aside from all the awkwardness of walking into that room) is that, by default, everyone in that room was going to assume I WAS gay.

It was a little unnerving. I mean, I couldn't hide behind "acting straight" even if I wanted to, not that I would have... but still.

Next meeting for me is tomorrow. I think I have class during it, but if I don't I'll be going again.

GOOD LUCK! :slight_smile:

2. Aielar

When I move to a bigger city this summer, I will definitely look for ways to get more involved in the lgbtq community through pflag or similiar groups. Cannot do it here since I don't want to risk losing my job lol...but when it's safe I will definitely participate in this :slight_smile:

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh I'm here waiting to go in, I'm gonna do it.. Lol

4. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My local LGBT center has a bisexuality-specific group. And it's tonight. And I have no idea what to expect. And I'm posting here so I don't chicken out. >.<

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it wasn't that bad, hardly any people this meeting. It is far more political than I thought though(college GSA). It was actually kind of boring. I thought it would be more like a support group where you discuss LGBT stuff, but it seemed to be more about changing policies and activism. I'll attend the next one to see if it gets any more interesting.

6. Epipleptic

I went to gathering this weekend. We went to a park and hung around. Then I went with some guys and had my first trip to a gay bar! It was a lot of fun. To think I was feeling so down about the group earlier in the week.

7. patience

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What an awesome idea for a thread! *tips her hat*

I've never had the courage to go to one of those meetings. We have a couple groups here. Maybe I'll finally get the courage to go. :slight_smile:

8. coastgirl

Can I chime in and say...going to a coming out support group was one of the BEST things I've done? And now I have a bunch of friends from the group. I was terrified of going. It took me a year to build up to it. Then my therapist challenged me to go, and I kind of went because I was mad about something else in my life. I kind of harnessed the anger and used it to help me walk through the door. It was super scary but after the first one I was totally fine. I go all the time now.

That said....I encourage everyone to try these meetings in their local areas.

9. suninthesky

Way to go, guys! *So proud*

Just an update.. I think I said the leader of the youth group in the community gave my contact info for the gsa at my university. I e-mail and their meeting this thurs. I really want to go, but the meeting place is literally in the lounge in right in front of the cafeteria that everyone goes to on their way to lunch. And the meeting time is at 1:30, so pretty much when peeps are leaving from lunch.

There's no way I can do that.

10. Gallatin

I didn't have a chance to post in this thread before my first meeting, but I did go and had my best experience ever with the club. I met new people, made new friends, and even submitted an application to volunteer at my uni's LGBT center. :slight_smile:

11. Buddletump

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't suppose there's any chance you go to a certain large university near the north part of the state? That would be too perfect, of course, since I'm nervous about going to mine, but I thought I might as well ask.

12. BudderMC

I'm gonna bail on my meeting today guys... I've got an assignment to do by the end of the night and only about 3 spare hours today to do it in, including the meeting time. I'll go next week though.

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know its scary as hell, but push yourself. Seriously, do it. No one will care, most people won't notice, and the ones that notice won't even remember who you are!

I know it feels like there will be this spotlight on you, but its not as horrible as we make it out to be :slight_smile:

And congrats to everyone else that has pushed themselves to go! :grin:

If we are thinking about the same uni, then def go. I have a few friends, including my cousin ,there and their GSA is very active and friendly! :slight_smile:

Do keep in mind that sharing contact information through wall messages and posts in not allowed here, though :slight_smile:

14. Buddletump

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah, okay, thanks for the heads up. Would I be able to ask you directly what uni youre talking about since that's pretty darn non-personal? The one I'm talking about has Pride instead of GSA, which makes me wonder if we aren't talking about the same one after all. Its also part of the reason I'm hesitant to go, since the name "Pride" makes it sound like it's for "out-and-proud" folk, and I'm not out, nor do I fit a lot of the more effeminate or in-your-face mannerisms. For example, practically all of their event posters have drag on them, and I'm just completely not into that tbh. /tangent

15. YourComingOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Before I was ready to go to my own college campus's meetings, I went to a neighboring college's meetings.They welcomed me with open arms and I made some wonderful friends and a much needed support system.
    It was a safe way to get the support I needed.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember when I first went to my college's Pride group metting. I was really nervous.. I ended up having a great time though. I also have made a ton of friends from Pride. I'm hoping that I van go on Thursday. It all depends on how i feel though, I've been fighting a cold.

17. Linguistic_Geek

The first meeting for my university's lgbtq group is Monday (2days). I'm making plans to go, and posting here to I have someone(s) to be accountable too and don't chicken out!

It's a planning meeting, but who knows...maybe an activity with click in my head and I'll sign up to volunteer and then I'll have to go back (I really hate letting people down)

And like a few people have mentioned, if I hate it, I don't have to go back.

18. BudderMC

^ mine is on Monday too! It's not my first one, but I'm actually going to try and participate this time... so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck again everyone!

19. Linguistic_Geek

Alrighty! Went to the meeting. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be. It was a small group, but it was the first meeting of the year. They are having a potluck/games night I'd like to go to in November. Which means I have 2 months to figure out how to tell the parents I want to go.....

20. Gallatin

I had my first volunteering shift at our LGBT Center on campus today! It went really well. I met some really nice people and had good conversations.

And when I told my mom, she was really happy about it. She's never been positive about my sexual orientation or anything to do with it before, so that's a huge step in the right direction.