1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever wish you were outed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by olin, Sep 2, 2012.

1. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yeah, there are times I wish I was outed by somebody else because I wouldn't have to face telling my parents or my close friends. It would be nice if they just kind of clued in and were okay with it.

2. BNQ2012

Yeah, I don't generally think it's a good idea to assume someone wants you to out them unless they say so but I see your point. I sometimes think it would be easier if the rumor mill did the work. I've identified so loudly and strongly as straight for so long that coming out almost always entails some questions and some explanation. I'm ok with that for now but eventually I do hope to get to the stage where I've spoken directly to all the important people and the rest can take care of itself.

3. SkyDiver

I did wish for that, and that's exactly what happened. :slight_smile: It's common knowledge now.

4. Snobird

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My ex-wife knew I was bi. After I remarried another woman I lived in constant fear of my ex using that against me. This is a big part of why it feels so great that I recently told my current wife of my past experiences and current feelings towards men. No longer do I have to worry about being outed to my wife.

5. julia

Yes, I have too many people to come out too. Sure the experience may be traumatizing but I'm too much of a coward to come out to the dozens of people I need to.

6. jimL

I wish someone would have outed me a long time ago so I wouldn't have had to stay hiding for so so long. Now I want everyone to know.

7. Vesper

Yes, because I'm sadly too chicken to out myself. It'd make my life easier not having to worry about this.

8. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No.. for sure not :eek:
    I definitely do not want that want that bit of info getting back to my parents (or really any family) or neighbors or co-workers or etc...
    Don't know what the exact result would be other than I'd end up homeless with nowhere to go (which would result in job loss)...and I probably would end up um 'not being around'.

Deff not something I wish to think about

9. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bahah. I kind of was - the first dude I ever hooked up with when I was 16 told like 6 people who knew he was gay (and they in turn told a few of my good friends). I didn't find this out until I told one of those friends I was gay when I was 19.

Shit happens. Might have been nice if I had just been outed early on in college, would have sucked for a week or two but I would have quickly gotten over it. C'est la vie

10. thegrauler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It might of been easier for me to tell friends and family but looking back I'm glad I was able to tell them face to face. I think it made them accept what was going on a lot better.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was almost outed in high school.. I'm really glad that I was not. It would've made things much harder for me.

12. olin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your responses all. I guess it depends on your social circle and where you are with being out.

13. jsmurf

Yes, at times. To spare the effort and uncertainty of doing so myself.

14. Lacuna

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was outed last year at school after someone I could not trust found out. Funnily enough, he later ended up gay, but let's not get into that. Anyway, the first couple of weeks after that were torture, with people asking me annoying questions I did not want to answer and I even recieved a couple of threats from people. Eventually it got to the point where I wrote a suicide letter, someone found it and I had to see the school counsellor. That was really a low point in my life. Luckily though, all the calamity died down and I had much more faith in myself by the end of it. Now, I've never been happier and more on top of things. At the time it certainly sucked, but in a way I guess I'm glad because it allowed me to discover a different part of myself and I think it changed me almost completely. For the better.

15. Dalmatian

I sometimes wish I was a bit more effeminate for the sole reason that people would label me gay a long time ago. This way, I played the blend-in role for too long and not only I effectively lost fifteen to twenty years of my life regarding sexuality, but I now "don't seem gay" to anyone.

16. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sometimes I wish I was but then I think and God no! I am not prepared for everyone to lnow it, especially 'cause I am afraid how my father's parents would react. Maybe later, when I am more prepared to come out, so that I don't have to keep doing it but for now, no.

17. Aielar

Right now it would be useful - I have just started a new year at college and am in the process of making new friends, so if someone just came right up to me and asked 'are you straight?' would be awesome. Probably won't happen, since they believe I'm straight and nothing else XD

18. TheSwagganator

I was pretty much outed at my high school, so I stopped going. That's not why though; I got accepted into a dual enrollment program. Being outed made my life difficult for about an hour and a half, then I stopped caring, and now it's great. It saved me the hassle of telling people.

19. Nemo39122

Actually yes...mainly in my martial arts school environment. They're like a family to me and I know they would accept me, even the few that aren't exceptionally open minded (that's just how much they care).
    I want them to know but don't want to tell them, for two reasons. One is just the stress of actually coming out, and the second is I don't want to sit people down and be all dramatic about it or anything like that. It's not a big deal, I'm still the same person, and I don't want to give an impression that it changes anything.

Actually a bit of a problem with this is the two people I'm out to aren't likely to slip up and accidentally tell anyone, so that's not really going to happen. At this point I'm just kind of not hiding it and if people find out, then ok whatever...but that's not really changing anything lol

20. Dr Acula

I don't wish I were outed. When I came out I did it on my terms. However, I do wish I'd had something to make me accept that I was gay earlier in my life and then push me to come out earlier.