1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just left my wife

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by maxx, Aug 30, 2012.

1. jimL

maxx.......your awesome. You did the right thing. I wish I were where you are today.

2. maxx

In your own time, Jim - you'll know if & when the time is right. Hang in there.

(*hug*)
    Maxx

3. maxx

A quick update: it's been a momentous few weeks. I just turned 50 (yikes!) but am hugely optimistic about the future. Today I move into my own apartment - it's small but very nice and I'm having fun decorating it exactly how I want - and it will reduce my commute by an hour each way! (Hooray for more sleep!) It has a fitness center, pool, etc. so in addition to my regular gym membership & trainer, no excuse for leaving those love-handles in place (I've already lost 20 pounds). The relationship with my wife is going along alright - I think she has been phenomenal so far - she's even been organizing stuff for me to take into the new apt.

Plus, I met someone local online that is already a good friend and potentially more...

So all in all, though it has been incredibly tough, and I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without all of your love and support, things are looking up. At the age of 50, I feel younger and more alive than I have in quite a while. Although living an authentic life hasn't been easy, it is already starting to pay significant dividends.

With Love & Gratitude,
    Maxx

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow that's great Maxx. I'm glad to hear you and your wife are doing well. It is always nice to hear that everything will be okay in the end.

Stay strong and keep us updated :slight_smile:

5. machew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for sharing your story. its very reassuring. i never quite got married but i was close. just taken the first step in trying to find the authentic me. i really hope me and my girlfriend can have an amicable future. she's really angry at the moment (understandably). I hate knowing ive hurt her and i hate knowing it was the right thing to do.. i cant cope with the idea of loosing her from my life completely

6. featherpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good for you maxx! it feels great doesn't it?!

7. solost44

solost44 Guest

Maxx,
    Just saw your update and I couldn't be happier for you!

8. maxx

Another quick update: I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with my wonderful boyfriend tomorrow, along with some other friends and I have a lot to be thankful for. We have also booked a vacation to Palm Springs for Christmas - we are getting along great and it is completely drama free - I've found a truly kindred spirit. I'm not sure how I lucked out to find someone so great - but am enormously thankful.

I'm also having a Thanksgiving meal w. my wife on Sunday - and we are going to a Christmas concert together in early December. I continue to love her and wish her all the best. Things continue to be up and down there but we are making huge strides and I think we will continue to be good friends. I am thankful for her and our relationship as well.

I wish everyone on EC a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving. I have enormous gratitude for all of you and this wonderful forum - a community of phenomenal people that has allowed me to embrace a life I never thought possible. Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
    Maxx

9. rday13

rday13 Guest

All the best with future steps along the road to complete acceptance of yourself, maxx.
    I hope that you will be able to look back on this in the future as a positive step :slight_smile:

10. 55

Maxx, I can't say how happy I am for your tremendous steps towards authenticity over the past few months! I am so proud of you!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your new guy! And all the best for you and your wife as well. I hope you can all find reason to be thankful! You for your authenticity, your wife for the chance at a new life, and your new love for finding such a wonderful man as you!

All my best! I am thankful for your support and advice on EC as well!

11. Pyrotactick

Point taken, thanks.
    Yes I am bisexual...but it's something that could help for a friend or the like. Thank you.
    Good luck to your ex and good luck to you too.

12. Erik

Erik Guest

Maxx, like everyone else, I am extremely envious of what you have done in coming out. Your story really has made me realize that it is not impossible to be true to yourself. I am 20, and still entirely in the closet. It shocks and disgusts me how easy it is for me to lie to myself and go on with my everyday life, but I just do not know what to do. Time and time again, I find reasons to push away the girls that are interested in me only because I cannot simply let anyone get that close to me. I have built this humongous wall and its starting to get lonely as hell. Anyway, I don't mean to make this about me but you remind me a lot of myself and I am afraid that I could one day be in the position you are in. I want to so badly not let that happen but I just cannot fathom coming out. It scares me more than anything in this world. Once again, I have the utmost respect for you and I honestly hope I have the amount of courage you do one day.

13. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the forums Erik! This is an older post but nonetheless, I'm glad that Maxx's actions made an impact on you.
    I'd suggest making an introduction post and if you want, post a little (or a lot if you're comfortable :slight_smile: ) about yourself. I'm sure you'll find open and understanding minds here who can help you get a little insight of how you feel.

14. Given To Fly

Hi Erik, and :welcome: to EC.

We've all been there, myself included, so most of us know how you feel. Trust me, if you look hard enough, that humongous great wall you've built has a door, and with time, you'll figure out how to open it. Accepting yourself is probably the hardest part of coming out, but you'll almost certainly feel better once you do.

Unfortunately it's not really something you can rush. As Clown said, explore these forums as much as you like, read a few of our stories, and post as much as you need :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

15. Lewis

Your thread title makes it sound like a bad thing. You haven't left her, you've freed her. You've freed both of you. It's your time to live life the way you deserve to.

It was the right thing to do and I commend you for it. Good luck with the rest of your new life, I wish you all the best.

16. MixedNutz

Wow. Bravery at its best. It will take time but she will realize you set both her and yourself free... The journey begins...

17. maxx

As we near New Year's Day, I thought I'd post another update. It's been an incredible year - because of all of you.

I just came back from a week's vacation in Palm Springs with my boyfriend - we had an amazing time. I can't believe I've met someone so wonderful, whom I love so deeply. We spend every weekend together either at my apartment or his place, and are even thinking about moving in together in the Fall.

My wife and I are getting along fine - we went to see Book of Mormon yesterday and had a good time.

My life makes so much more sense now - because I am being true to who I am. It is so much less complicated - because I have no reason to lie about anything anymore. I am who I am - and amazingly, the world has embraced me for that - and I the world. I'm happier now than I ever thought possible. Once I realized who I am, that my happiness matters, and that I couldn't make others happy if I wasn't happy myself, everything else fell into place.

Don't ever think it is too late - or too hard. An amazing life awaits. Your true self is worthy of a phenomenal life. This holiday season, give yourself the gift of being true to yourself. You deserve nothing less.

Love,
    Maxx

18. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a huge fear of this happening to me! Was it just the idea of gay sex that mostly led to you leaving?

19. maxx

The main thing that led me to leave was the full realization that I'm gay. 100% gay. I didn't want to be half-in/half-out. I couldn't be gay on a part-time basis - it is who I am. Whether or not I ever found a LTR with a guy or not, I knew I had to leave. It was the only option that made sense to me.

20. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maxx, I talked about this post yesterday when I was with my therapist. I was struck by what you said about being half-in and half-out as far as being gay. I am frustrated that my circumstances leave me in a situation where even though I've come out to many, many people in our circle of friends, relatives, etc., I still have to maintain a modicum of hetero to others. It's literally like I've got one leg in the closet and the other sticking out. I know I have to continue to work with my therapist to sort out what it is that I really need to be happy and then once that's crystal clear then I need to let my wife know so that she and I can make a mutual assessment of whether to stay or split. In any case, thanks for your thoughts on this Maxx. Your experience as well as others here are helping me to see how other guys have dealt with this. Thanks very much.