1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So....has anyone came out to their roommate in college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Vanille, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Vanille

I've came out to very few people, my sister and 3 people I met last weekend. When I came out to my sister, that was completely by choice, I sat down and just told her. The other 3 people, I was kind of put on the spot. They were having a small discussion about sexuality and they were like "You like guys right?" I didn't want to lie but I didn't want to tell the truth either but then I just said "No, not really." They didn't care but it still felt very odd saying it. Maybe because I'm not used to saying that to people... Anyway I had just met them that day so I didn't worry about it much afterward.

Yesterday though I ran across another situation with my roommate and her friends. They saw me talking to one of my friends that I haven't seen in about 3 years and were like "Did y'all used to go out?" or "Was that your boyfriend? Do you guys like each other?" I felt like that was the perfect time to say "I'm into girls" Which is my other problem, I have trouble actually saying "I'm gay." I have to phrase it another way for some reason. I'm also scared to come out to my roommate because I don't know...afraid of being judged or i don't want to freak her out. She has a male friend that is gay but I don't know how she feels about lesbians... I'm lost, just when I thought I accepted myself about a month ago here I am again, can't even admit to myself. Any help or advice?

2. aeva

I came out to my first roommate (3 years ago) before we even got to school. At that point, I was dating a guy, and considered myself bi, so that's what I came out to her as. She was completely cool with it, even going so far as to joke about hooking up with each other (she's one of those straight girls that'll kiss a girl for attention). I've never known it to go badly when somebody has come out to their roommate, but I've gone to absurdly liberal schools with absurdly liberal people...

I know what you mean about having trouble saying it. I still get sort of awkward when I state my sexuality sometimes, and I've been totally out for a little over a year. The more you say it, even if it's just to yourself in the mirror, the more natural it'll feel. Getting a girlfriend helps an enormous amount too, at least it did for me. You'll be so proud and in love that you'll want to shout it from the rooftops!

3. FashionDisaster

I actually just came out to my college roommate a little over a month ago.

There was a moment where they appeared freaked out, but I just had to make it clear that I wasn't going to be trying to hit on them and this was just about allowing me to feel comfortable within my own home.

I think since your roommate is fine with gay people, she will most likely be fine with lesbians as well. You just might need to be ready for her to be a little nervous about the thought of you being attracted to her until she can get used to the idea.

4. Vanille

Thanks you two, I guess I feel a little more confident about saying it now. Time to summon some more courage though before I can actually say it!

5. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally have the same problem. I went off to school last September and I stayed in student housing and lived with 7 other guys. All but one of them were straight. The one gay guy was very effeminate and I not at all. Its hard for me to tel people I am gay. especially with out knowing them. It takes time for me to say it. I said I was gay to one of my roomates who I bonded with pretty early. My actual roommate I shared a room with I didn't really are for so I didn't feel he deserved to know. Even the gay roomate didn't even know it think. But just telling the one roomate still made more confident nd the friends I made I told.

6. stumble along

Yeah as soon as I found out what my room and roommate assignments were it was the first thing i said. It's been great so far, I'm having a little anxiety about coming out to other people in college since this isnt the most liberal/neutral of places, but the school encourages tolerance of everyone so its not the school more so ah whatever.

But yeah, roommate knows, nothing changed, hell we go to bed in our underwear and there isn't an issue.

7. Vanille

Okay I think I should be able to tell her. She will more than likely get an idea about it though if I get to go to the Pride festival next weekend

8. ThatCoopKid

Actually, I have come out to my roommates. To make a super long story short, I finally came to terms with the fact that I was gay in about February. Jump up to May, and I told my good friend Jake down here, and started coming out to friends. I was nervous about coming out to my roommates, but during a party we threw at our apartment, I got drunk, decided I didn't care what anyone thought about it, and came out to everyone at the party. Everyone took it well, didn't care, and we watched The Avengers and continued partying like nothing happened.

The main point of the story is that you shouldn't care what anyone thinks. If your roommate has a gay guy friend, she'll more than likely be fine with a lesbian roommate. Just let her know that you won't hit on her, and that you're still the same person that you were before, only you like girls. We live in an age where being gay/lesbian isn't that big of a deal, or as big of a deal as it might have been twenty years ago in the 90's or before. I don't think you'll have a problem :slight_smile: