Would You Ever Use A Dating Site?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by secretguyX, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Would You Use a Dating Site?

1. I currently am.

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. I used to, but I wouldn't again.

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. I used to, and I would again.

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. I never did, but I would.

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I never did, and I never will.

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  6. I'm not sure if I would or not.

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. Andane

Well, I'd prefer not to have to if at all possible, I think it's more fun to meet someone and really get to know them before forming a relationship. However, seeing as how dating isn't as easy being gay since you can assume 90% of people are unavailable and it isn't always apparent who is, I would consider it. Although I still have another 2 years until I go off to college, and I hear your options open up a LOT by then and also that people are a lot more open about it by then too, so I'll keep my hopes up for that :icon_bigg

2. Friendly ghost

I have made a profile, but haven't tried much. I use apps to talk to people though. I see the value in them though, especially since its not always easy to find the right person in general, and being gay narrows the options.

It starts out with chatting online though, so you do get to know them more. I know what you mean though, its not a very interesting story, but I just try to think of it as being worth it. If I found someone I really liked and never would have ran into, then its worth not having a great story to tell other people, which should matter really. But I do know what you mean.

3. redstormrising

i thought that too, but when i used free sites, i basically just kept meeting crazy people or people who weren't over their exes, etc. i finally switched to a paid site, figuring that people who were willing to invest a little money in finding a partner might be more stable. as luck would have it, the first person to contact me eventually became my girlfriend. we've been together just about six months now and we are very happy, with plans to settle down together once she is out of residency.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I never even thought about it until recently, but I heard of someone who met the guy he was dating online on a free dating site and now I'm considering it. Once I get settled somewhere I'll probably give it a try.

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted "never did, but I would".

Though by the "I would", I'm mainly saying I'm not philosophically opposed to the idea of doing so. Right now, I'm not really planning to, or feeling the need to.
    So while unlikely, if a situation developed where I feel they can be of use, I'd consider it.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Found my partner through a dating site.

I waded through a lot of crap and almost gave up just before he contacted me.

We're moving in together soon.

7. Friendly ghost

interesting post redstormrising. I will have to keep that in mind, because I haven't ever wanted to try paying for one. I've thought that it would have more people who were serious. I will have to try that.

8. J Snow

My ex-boyfriend and I met on a free dating site. Its a pretty legit one but for term of services reasons I will not specify which one. Now that we are no longer dating I remain using it. Unfortunately it has no gender option for people transitioning so I just had to mention in my profile and I don't think most of the people that talk to me even read or understand it =/

9. NordicSpirit

I picked I have and I would again. I find it very difficult to just go out and meet people so online is my best shot. I met up with a woman from a dating site last year though and it got a little weird. We talked a lot for a week and then decided to meet up, which we did and we got on ok as friends, but there was definitely no romantic connection. So for a few days after we met up I was really busy with work and I didnt get a chance to talk to her much and when I did get a chance she brushed me off. So I log onto facebook and see that she had changed her status to single (I didnt know that she had changed it to in a relationship at all). So anyway, the way I figured it, she thought we were together because of that meeting and when I wasnt texting her every two minutes afterwards she thought we had broken up. I thought we were just friends :confused: But saying that, I would definitely try it again.

10. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About two years ago I decided to take a leap of faith and joined a dating site. It took me months and then I found someone whom I'm still in love with very much each day. Sure there may be lots of failures and rejections, and people will judge you but there's always one good apple that makes it all worth it.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already do use a dating site, though infinitely more so for boredom-relief than for dating.

Given my extreme social anxiety and awkwardness in initiating conversation, I suspect I'll try to use one of those more "professional" ones (if you can call them that), from the TV commercials, in the future. No clue how well it would work, but, right now at least, it feels as if it would be much less stressful than joining a bunch of LGBT groups or something in hopes of making friends - let alone finding dates (though I really can't do that anyway where I currently am, lol :dry:slight_smile:.

Just out of curiosity, generally how much are the paid ones anyways (without naming any)? If you don't mind my asking?

#31 Browncoat, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  12. needshelp

i'm seriously thinking about whether i should try to join a dating site for a fourth time even though i think announcing that i'm in the closet in my profile might do me harm. the last time i was on that site, i was talking to a guy that was way on the other end of my state that i wasn't interested in. he wasn't my type. the other time before that, i had another guy who i wasn't really interested in that i gave my number too that ruined his chances. plus he was way out of the way too so it wasn't going to work.

13. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have - both I and my dad found our current significant others on (different) dating sites (make of that what you will :lol:slight_smile:.

You do have to be careful, and patient, and use the right site for what you're looking for, but if you do, they can be a perfectly fine way to meet people.

14. ameliawesome

i tried one a few months ago but it was just meh, so i deleted my account. now i've found a totally new one that i registered for, but so far it's feeling meh as well haha. i understand the convenience of having a virtual pool of people to browse, but for me it doesn't quite feel right. i'm curious enough to try again, though.

15. Aeon Magus

"I used to, but I wouldn't again."