1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you wrote and directed an LGBT themed movie, how would it be like?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GingerGuy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

I think the title is self explanatory: I would love to see the creativity in elaborating good stories many of you posess. On the same day, I've got two ideas that may give good films:

-A transgender boy (male to female) who always loved classical music and wants to be an opera singer. However, he knows that even if he transitions, his voice won't change, making him unsuitable to sing female roles. This causes him to train desperately and go to a speech class to change his speaking voice, until he decides to join an opera house but is kicked out when his true identity is discovered (by that point, he was all-female except for the penis). He starts singing in recitals and his androgynous voice attracts the attention of an opera manager who happens to be gay, and befriends him. The two get closer and eventually form a relationship, and this director accepts him into the opera house. She (from that moment onward I'll call the main character this) is cast into contralto (deep female singing voice) parts, because they were the only ones she could get all the notes without falsetto. However, she only sings in small, supporting roles. Finally, after the revelation of her gender upsets other managers of the house, and the director has to bribe them to make her stay, the main character receives her chance to shine. She is cast as the female lead in "the barber of sevilla", and truly impresses the audience with her performance of the aria "una voce poco fa". After the opera is over, she receives a standing ovation, the result of uncountable years of training, vocal class, and perseverance. A bouquet of flowers is trown on his arms as he smiles and the film ends.

What did you think of this story? Please post your own too!

2. Bree

I'm working on one for my scriptwriting class. Unfortunately, it's the story of a 15-year-old gay boy in the late 1930s, and isn't exactly uplifting.

3. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is my DREAM to one day make this happen. My movie would be quirky, unorthodox, and a coming-of-age dramedy about a closeted lesbian who falls in love with her best friend. Currently writing the story still :wink:

4. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow! Do you know Phillipe Jaroussky? Here's a Youtube link:

Philippe Jaroussky - Vivaldi aria - YouTube

As soon as you started to describe the voice, I thought of him. There's a bit of an introduction you have to sit through, but listen to his voice - it has the androgynous quality you describe. He's my current fav singer at the moment and I have all his CDs.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally want to turn the Rainbow Boys Trilogy into a film (well two...because I feel like the third book couldn't just be a finishing part of the movie. Might even need to be three lol

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd want to remake "The Man I Love" (L'homme que j'aime) and change the ending.

I loved the film, but I hoped upon hope for a different ending.:tears:

I quite like the idea of having films where you could select different endings from a menu.

I could tailor my movie then according to my mood.

Does anyone know of any films where this is possible?

7. GingerGuy

Wow, this guy has a very impressive voice! But the voice I imagine for the trans singer is not really like this. He uses a lot of falsetto (although it is good falsetto) to hit the notes, and in my case the singer sounds deeper than he does, but also more natural. I imagine him with the same voice as the legendery Polish contralto Ewa Podles (maybe you know her, she is quite famous), who besides being mistaken for a guy in her low notes has such a good vocal range that she can even hit high C. This is a video of her singing una voce poco fa (in other words, how the transwoman sounds like in my film).

The "Una voce poco fa" Contest - Ewa Podles - YouTube

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm...this is a very interesting idea, I used to write stories growing up and I thought about writing a book, but a movie would be more awesome.

My movie would be similar to the movie Crash, but it'll depict all aspects of the LGBT community and somehow the characters will be intertwined.

9. GingerGuy

This is the other idea for an LGBT movie that I have.

Warning: tearjerker.

This is the story of two boys, aged 17 and facing the challenges of high school. They are perfectly average in every sense: both look ok and their behavior is neither at the extreme of masculinity or belongs to effeminacy. They also belong to different social classes, from a family who's above than average wealthy to one that is often in debt. Let's call them Nick and Max. Nick plays in a band with his friends. Max, more dedicated to social causes, is often doing community service, and secretly has a passion for singing.
    The main difference between the two is that Nick is straight while Max is gay. Nick has an on and off girlfriend, whom he's often breaking up with and coming back to. Max, meanwhile, is unable to control his sexual impulses and urges, and rumors of his sexuality roam the school, due to unthought actions and words he regretfully said. Max isn't in love with his best friend, but often wonders how great they would be in a relationship, if they get along so well together. But he's also not in a hurry to come out to anybody: he believes his family to be homophobic, and plans to wait until college to come out. However, life isn't that simple, and after a week of sudden abdominal pains, irregular defecation and fever, Max receives the worst of all news from his doctor. He is diagnosed with stomach cancer.
    Devastated, Max is instructed by his parents to hide his illness from the rest of his peers. Things go estable for a few weeks, with Max dropping hints to Nick about his sexuality, hoping that his best friend will eventually learn his secret before a possible death. Nick reunites his band and sets a date for their first public concert in a bar, where supposedly his whole grade will be at. However, they need a lead singer, and none of their vocal abilities is good enough for the songs composed by themselves and their covers. Max decides to audition for the lead part, and impresses his peers with his gentle, beautiful voice. On the day of the concert, however, Max's illness worsens and a lot of pain brings him back to the hospital, and it's announced that the cancer has spread. In the concert, the absence of Max causes Nick to lose his focus on the show and miss the notes on his guitar, turning the concert into a disaster. Disappointed by his friend, Nick enters Max's house and is told by the boys grandmother off out the disease. Shocked, Nick decided to visit his sick friend at the hospital every time he can, which leads to a drastic reduction in his social life. During Nick's hospital visits, always with his guitar in hand, the friendship between the two boys deepens even more, and rumors roam the school about a relationship between the two. Nick's girlfriend feels neglected and starts having an affair with a fellow band member. One day, both boys do a rendition of the 70's hit "Loving You", by Minnie Riperton. Inspired by the beauty of the lyrics, Max asks Nick to lean closer and tells him that he loves him, and kisses his friend softly. Both repulsed and confused, Nick runs away from the hospital, unable to believe in what just happened. The day after, he decides to finally tell the truth to his girlfriend about why he has ignoring her for so long. She pretends to be supportive, but after they have sex, Nick finds out about her affair while reading her cell phone texts. Angrily interrogating her about it, he gets the answer: "I had to do it; it's not my fault that you and Max have decided to become two fags". Enraged, Nick is unable to control himself and hits her several times, and leaves. The girl calls the domestic violence service, which puts Nick temporary juvenile detention until he turns eighteen. Meanwhile, Max believes hell never see his love again, and his mental depression causes the cancer to worsen. Until the day when Nick is released, Max undergoes five operations, to his parents horror, loses his hair to chemotherapy and loses weight tremendously. When Nick finally steals his father's car to arrive at his friends hospital room, Max is barely recognizable and sentenced to die very soon. Max parents stop visiting because they don't want to see their only soon die. Only Nick remains going there, doing nothing but playing music and casually talking to his dying friend about things not related to his sexuality. Finally, when Max knows the end has come, he orders the staff to leave him alone with Nick. He says "Loving you is easy cause youre beautiful. Now that I know you won't kiss me back, at least hold my hand." Nick does as Max says, and, in tears, replies that he loves Max as well, kissing his forehead. Max happily falls asleep and finally dies. Nick refuses to go to his friends funeral, but after a few weeks of grief and solitude, receives a packet with a tape recorder of all the songs they had played and sung together during Max's time at the hospital. Nick decides to expose the songs on the Internet, and they quickly become hits. Nick becomes a well known omline celebrity, but always states that all the music is not his, but Max's. The movie ends as Nick stares at a picture of him with his lost friend, smiling and seeming to have overcome the loss. "Loving You", the love song from a phenomenal talent who also died of cancer, plays during the end credits.

10. Doctor Faustus

This would be an adaptation of my (forthcoming) novel.

Hong Kong, 1941. The Japanese are advancing, intent on capturing the city. In the chaos of war, an English officer, Maynard, falls in love with one of the young Chinese men he's in charge of. When the Japanese finally claim the city, the future of these two lovers remains uncertain, with no end to the war and the hardship in sight.

London, 2011. Sebastian is almost twenty. Though both his parents are Chinese, he's never heard of a distant English relative who was stationed in Hong Kong during the war. But as he comes to terms with his own burgeoning sexuality, on the brink of a decade when gay rights comes to the fore, a message from the past will plunge him into a world he's never seen and expose him to a secret his elders have longed to keep from him.

This is a story of two worlds, two times and two cities inextricably intertwined. A story of triumph and loss, war and peace, fate and destiny, hope and redemption.

11. Waffles

... 'scuse me while I cry. ;A; No, I'm actually crying right now... such a touching story. I'd pay to watch this!

12. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A love story between two men told in reverse chronological order. The movie would begin with their marriage ending and the film would end with them meeting at a high school party when they're eighteen.

13. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really really want to write an animated children's film about a teenage girl who falls in love with another girl. Equipped with self-loathing, self-acceptance, coming out, falling in love, slow dancing, musical numbers, romantic scenes, kissing (not a lot, about the same amount as straight animated films), conversations, obstacles, loss, rejection, and acceptance from (some) others. There would be great struggle in the film but it'd be a happy story in the end with a lesson about self-acceptance. The main character will go through a lot but she would rise above. There'd also be a lesson that shows love is love. No matter what a person's gender is. I want there to be an LGBT kid's movie one day. I know it's controversial but it's something I really want to happen.

I have other ideas for adult/young adult films but they aren't well formulated yet.

14. djt820

My film would be a mix between Taxi Driver, and Boys Don't Cry.

15. GingerGuy

Wow, I believe this is a very interesting story! It kinda reminds me of snow flower and the secret fan... maybe its only because part of the story is set in china?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this thread has been revived. Now please keep posting your ideas! :eusa_danc

16. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I write superhero themed fiction, so naturally I'd want a big, visually mind blowing action/adventure, chocked full of excitement, and heart pounding, thrilling action sequences. It would probably play out like a mash up of Watchmen/John Carter of Mars/Prometheus.

The sexuality of my characters is little more than a side note. Out of my core 7 protagonists, only two of them are what could be classified as 'gay', and since all of them are human/alien hybrids (with varying degrees of genetic saturation), they don't necessarily view themselves as human, so their sexuality is only perceived by those around them. They couple for companionship and love, as their human appearances are little more than facades.

In fact the only character in my core group that has an 'issue' with the male on male couple, fights his own personal battle of acceptance. As he is not entirely human (and was raised by an set of parents assigned to him by the agency) he fights to integrate himself with a species that is fundamentally distrustful of him. Even amongst his own associates and superiors, he is an outsider, and therefore projects his own feelings of disconnection onto others by adopting human 'values' and prejudices.

Most of the villains have virtually no sexuality, as they either A: Non Human or B: so driven towards their respective goals that their personal lives virtually non existent. The one villain that does engage in sex with humans, only does so to either seduce individuals to gain foothold in their circles, conceal himself, or experience human pleasures and self satisfaction, before murdering his victims. Humans are little more than toys for him.

While my original drafts did focus more on interpersonal relationships, as I grew, I rewrote the material as an escapist space opera fantasy, and tried to shed the trappings of typical writing where there is a huge focus on relationships/sexuality and create a story that shows my characters as powerful creatures motivated by passion, survival, revenge and make the story less about 'which blue skinned alien is humping whom' and 'what does character X feel about character Y and if they are going to bang or not'

#16 ArcherySet, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
  17. IanGallagher

I actually have two films in development, one which may go studio and the other which is a definite indie, that has a gay and bi character. The studio one has a regular guy who just so happens to be gay and throughout the film learns to accept himself. The bi guy is a father who is cheating on his wife with a younger man - just flipping it around from cheating with a younger woman lol. But, film... I'd really love to adapt 'THE VAST FIELDS OF ORDINARY' - my favorite LGBT films are 'Shelter,' 'Latter Days,' and 'Just a Question of Love' and I think that book has the perfect makings of a film along those lines.

- Have studio connections in Hollywood interested in me as a writer, so a number of these are definite possibilities. Especially the gay guy in the studio film (I have yet to actually see a gay character in a studio film come to terms with it, although a supporting character - I think it works really well.)

18. Chickzak

Second this!

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2012 at 10:41 PM ----------

Aww :kiss:, this would have to be the perfect LGBT movie :slight_smile:

19. KillTheLights

I have had this idea about a teenage boy being too scared to come out, so he runs away. He get's into male prostitution, drugs... etc.

20. werekid

Maybe a anime movie of a god falling in love with a teenager who lives with dad who drinks alot