1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your straight friends treat you differently after you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, Jul 27, 2012.

1. WhisperinShadow

I have only come out to male friends of mine.

One straight friend and a pal who is gay and came out to me first some years ago over the phone by telling me that he is in a relationship with this one guy. But I have to say that I didn't really come out as bi to him, I just said that I once found a woman or a girl interesting or something like that. I can't really remember, it's been a long time. I'm not so sure if he still remembers what I told him back then....
    I came out to my boyfriend too at the beginning of our relationship.

The only woman I told about my sexuality some years ago is my mum. And that wasn't a problem either. :slight_smile:

They still treat me like before, have accepted it and have been cool with it. :slight_smile: :thumbsup: (!) :eusa_danc

And I really like it to talk about women with my straight friend. :thumbsup: It's great. :thumbsup:

When it comes to female friends I'm still not so sure if I should tell because I'm a woman too...They accepted our gay pal and I'm sure they would accept me aswell but I'm still not so sure...Especially because I'm still not 100% sure about my sexuality...This is kind of how I came out to my other friends and my mum.

At the moment I'm more sure about it but I think it can change again aswell...

2. Loras

Well my friends that are girls loved it but they didnt change, my flatmates dont care and their 2 guys. Some of my older friends didnt care although one said it was sick but then they all stuck up for me and he had to get over it. One is now going out with my ex girlfriend and has turned into a bit of a douch and has lost a lot of friends because of that so Im glad were not friends anymore and that didnt even happen from me coming out of the closet.

Ow and then their were my friends from university who are mostly guys, none of them gay and I told them when we were drunk. I told 1 when he was in the shower and he tried to chase me around the flat naked. Another tried to pash me and tell me he loved me and dosnt care lol and the rest stick up for me and dont treat me different at all. Sometimes people who dont make me crack jokes about gays and they get told pretty quickly to apologize to me :slight_smile: officially I couldn't have better friends

3. prism

I have a pretty diverse group of friends that would be okay with it. I'm mostly concerned with telling my roommate, who felt comfortable trouncing around the apartment in her underwear, and I'm worried that she'll feel uncomfortable when we live together next year (Even after I tell her I'm not attracted to her, at all).

Oh yeah, and eventually ex-boyfriends finding out/telling the boy I'm currently seeing. That is going to be... awesome.

4. Hot Pink

Mine did, but they didn't just find out I was gay. They found out I was a girl. It wasn't dramatic, but I can tell my guy friends hold back a lot more than they used to around me. Significantly less burping and stuff--which I'm not going to complain about.

5. IanGallagher

Not really. In all honesty, I do talk about girls more. But I don't shy away when a guy catches my eye and I sometimes joke about liking both and have mentioned months where I preferred guys and a previous guy that I fell in love with (I ruined things before it could become something though). Basically I joke about it, they know, and true friends are willing to go to a gay club/bar with me when/if I want to. Still haven't taken that leap yet.

6. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Let's just say that in my case, everybody distanced away from me but still kept nice faces. My very close friends tend to not speak of any sexuality issue when I'm near and when a time comes that a discussion could eventually lead to it, some of them would change the topic, which was very helpful for me.

It feels painful though, that they can't be the same people as before.

7. Menoah

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm worried too! I actually tried to come out to my best friend but she didn't take me seriously. Now I'm scared to tell anyone else! I don't know anyone who's out.

8. Just Adam

I have 1 frien in this city ans after i came out to him yes it changed. We use to be inseparable but i now hear from him maybe once a month. He says hes busy at work but he has new straight friends really.

9. WonderEgg

My girlfriends (girl friends) started treating me differently. We became much more open with each other after that. A couple of my guy friends stopped being my friends, but some were really cool with it. One of my closeted gay friends even told me he was gay after I told him I was.

10. itsjoanna

I've only come out to some friends. They've all stayed the same. Who knows about my other friends though. One of my female friends I came out to stopped saying "that's so gay" too much, so I'm happy about that haha.

11. prism

I'm afraid of coming out to my roommate from last year because she would always walk around our dorm room half naked. We're supposed to be roommates again next spring, so I'm not sure when I'm going to tell her.
    On the other hand, I'm almost positive her "straight" friend has a thing for me. :wink:

I have a friend that I would playfully flirt with all the time. I'm not into her like that at all, it was just something we found funny. I am halfway out to her; she knows I'm not straight. We haven't "flirted" with each other since I told her.

It's scary, but I think coming out shows us who our real friends are. I recently told my best friend of 11 years and she's totally cool with it. She's glad that I told her and made sure I understood she'd always be there if I wanted to talk about it.