1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics 2012 - the opening ceremony

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GlindaRose, Jul 27, 2012.

1. qboy

Ah that explains it, another of those legacies from when the Western Europe empires (esp the British and French) (plus the USA) pretty much dominated everything internationally.

Apparently The Sun ran a story on April 1 which said part of the opening ceremony would have Bond meeting the Queen. About the only thing they print which is accurate gets ignored as an April Fool :lol:

2. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought it was a fun show. Felt more genuine than the Beijing one, for sure. Glad they tried to keep it focused on British culture because trying to have too much "international" emphasis would surely make other nations think that GBR was flaunting its overpowering influence on world affairs these past few centuries.

I got to watch the show from Victoria Park about a kilometer away from the stadium! The fireworks that jutted off from the side of the stadium at the end were there for us!

Anyone else at the Games? It's a great atmosphere, and the British are incredibly friendly and helpful!

3. mischa91

I thought it was fantastic. Missed the gay kiss so will have to go find it somewhere online. Made me proud to be British too, i really loved the deaf kids signing the national anthem and the fact they had kids lighting the torch.

My friends are at the dressage right now, i'm so jealous.

4. qboy

A recording of it from someone showing NBC didn't cut it in the US...

NBC Did NOT cut the lesbian kiss - YouTube

Also I wonder if the one prior to it was the first inter-racial one on UK TV - does anyone know?

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the video! Apparently that kiss was from Emergency Ward 10 in 1964. It was the first British tv show to have an interracial kiss on television (even before Star Trek in 1966). The woman is Joan Woolley and the man looks like John White but the pictures I see are with him in a white shirt. The first gay kiss on British tv was in 1994. It's cool that they showed both the first interracial and the first gay kiss.

6. AmblingSam

I had the estiemed priviledge of seeing it live!!! OMG the drums added so much atmosphere!

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kinda appalled that NBC cut out the tribute to the victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks. Appart from it being beautiful, it's damn disrespectful. It'd be reported on every news cycle in America for months if a broadcaster cut a 9/11 tribute out of a similar situation.

#27 Kerze, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. AmblingSam

agreed. Americans can be the biggest hypocrats in the world. I'm tweeting this so the world will know!

9. Sayu

It was amazing! I loved the children & beds part with the big Voldemort and JK Rowling :love:

10. mischa91

Clearly because i watched it on NBC i missed this... *off to watch*

Okay, just seen it. very moving and i'm appalled that NBC cut it out.

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently a lot of Americans are annoyed because the ceremony wasn't broadcasted live, but instead NBC waited for prime time (9pm) to show it (and they edited the coverage a bit).

I'm in California at the moment and we found a British pub that happened to be showing the Olympics because they had British satellite or something like that, but it was really lucky because nowhere else was showing it live. So we got to see the bits that would have otherwise been cut.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hey, don't blame the American people for NBC's substandard Olympic coverage. Trust me, we don't like it any more than you do.

-----------------------------------------------------

As far as the actual opening ceremony was concerned, it was great and all - but nothing will ever beat the show Beijing put on in '08!

Although maybe I would've liked it more if NBC hadn't broadcast it over 7 hours past the time it actually started? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. qboy

Hmm, I'd assumed the really late start (apparently the latest ever meaning a lot of athletes didn't take part) was to get it into a semi-sensible timeslot for the US audience (still only 17:00 on the East Coast) - Hmm, I wonder why they started in the middle of the night in Asia, 23:00/00:00 across Europe (22:00 in the UK) then?

14. Emberstone

thats why they should one one channel air it live, and on another, air it later.

OH GOD, i WAS SO FRICCKAN PISSED AS VANCOUVER 2010!!! FUCK YOU NBC, I LIVE IN THE SAME TIMEZONE AS VANCOUVER, AND YOU TAPE-DELAYED IT ON THE WEST COAST WHILE AIRING IT LIVE ON THE EAST, YOU SHIT EATING WASTES OF FUCKING SPACE!