1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time between knowing and coming out...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vernox, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't feel bad, it has been almost 10 years since I first knew and I still haven't told anyone.

2. IanGallagher

8 years. Thank idiot researchers. 'Alexander' came out and Collin Farrell talked a lot about bisexuality which I could relate to. Then I did more research to find quacks saying it didn't exist. Then I continued for years having no idea what I am. Finally I just settled on bi, knew it wasn't hormones or a phase or going away - experimented with seeing if I could actually intimately fall for a guy. And after falling in love with him just as much as with a girl? And more than plenty of girls? Kinda knew it was time.

3. timo

About a year. I had my epiphany somewhere around my 21st birthday (but looking back I could have known much earlier), and I came out for the first time a week before my 22nd birthday.

4. GayJay

I suspected it when i started high school, so age 11 when people began saying 'yeah that boys hot' and i was staring at girls in the year above. I clarified my attraction to girls for myself age 13, and came out to a few friends 2 years later.

As for the gender scenario it's something a always knew. Knew all my life i wanted 'a sex change when i was 18' i used to say aged 6/7. But i only understood what it meant to be transgender about 9 months ago and told my mum and girlfriend. Then 2 week ago i began to tell close friends i was going to go to therapy and wanted to take T.

5. Apocalypte

Suspected at 16 that I may be bi, started coming out in my early 20s. Attraction to women grew stronger over time, and came out as a lesbian at 23. Was fairly comfortable with that label for a good while, then fell in love with my male best friend... we've been together since late 2011 now.

6. Just Passing

I first had gay thoughts at age twelve, repressed it throughout high school and came to terms with it at the end of my school career and properly acknowledged it during college a year or two after.

But going with the knowing (in my case, sixteen) and coming out (in my case, I started with friends about a year or so later), it all depends on the individual. I haven't come out to the majority of the people who are related to me when I really should, so it is all debatable.

Do what feels right for you.

7. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably... 7 months? I'm not a very patient person :icon_redf and I was getting sick of hiding who I was.
    It's different for everyone though. Just come out when you feel ready. :3

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's something I've felt since I was a little kid. It gave me a reason to feel like an alien, since I didn't know there were people like me out there. I didn't start coming out on one end until I was 12-14 and on the flip side, 16 to this point in time (I've still barely taken the steps to come out to my family). I guess I did a damn good job of fooling myself into pushing it out of my mind (or..umm, not sure how to explain the feeling but blinding me, or just wiping my mind out of what I knew about myself until I got myself to realize this is me).

9. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was gay since I was twelve, and didn't come out to anyone until I was 21. I slowly came out to a few friends, and then it wasn't until I was 24 that I finally told my family and everyone else. I'd say that time between 12-24 was hellish - every day you feel like you have to tell someone and when you don't you feel terrible about yourself. Saying that I don't think it was possible for me to tell anyone earlier than I did

10. Silvails52

I didn't exactly know when I told my first friend. I got a crush on a guy and didn't know what to do. But since then, I've told a few more people once I realized and accepted myself.

11. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known...but i didn't really recognize it. in high school and my freshmen year of college i never really dug that deep into my heart so it became something that was hidden more from me than other people. i think i started to recognize that i had those feelings when i tried to date this one girl from my school and after a couple of weeks i started to feel disconnected from her entirely. so i dove into my heart to find out why and found my answer fairly soon afterwards. a year later and im completely out of the closet.

12. manshow

manshow Guest

12-16 seems to be the age many have realized their gayness.

13. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had my first crush on a guy in grade 8, so I guess that means I was 13...? But I didn't come out to my first person until 4 months ago, at the age of 21. So I guess it's been 8 years coming!

14. BajanBoy13

Agreed,14 for me.

15. Priler

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    no one nows I started feeling diffrent about 2 years ago but stiill no one knows.

16. SkyDiver

I remember it being about a year.

I wrote in my journal.. "I can't believe I'm gay... but I'm never, EVER going to tell anyone. Not in a million years. This will remain a secret from all people for the rest of my life."

If only I could've looked into the future.... :lol:

17. Deaf Not Blind

yes and then some of us in fear of how other would be angry went into closet.

18. laras

14 years old is when I found my first love with a woman. However I never did much with them after that.

I have not come out yet, I have only told friends I am close with. *sigh* I really want to meet the right girl though :frowning2: Might wait until I find her before I let family know.

19. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it was a year and a half before I came out to my parents

20. lewis15

I knew around age 12 and I started telling people when I turned 15..