1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning a language

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mischa91, Jun 21, 2012.

1. mischa91

Has anyone tried the Rosetta Stone language programs? I would really like to continue learning spanish, which i took for 2 semesters at college, but i don't want to sign up to a college type environment.

2. Harve

Rosetta Stone is useless, imho. It prides itself on teaching languages as native speakers learn them, but fails to point out that adults aren't able to constantly expose themselves to a non-native language in the way native-learners are (and even then it takes them 3-5 years for basic speech) and that they are actually less cognitively able to assimilate grammar and syntax: we lose the "sponge-like" nature of our minds devastatingly early.

3. bob94

My sister has Rosetta Stone, which I've used just a couple of times. To me, it seems like it would be most useful when used while taking some sort of foreign language class. I don't think it's very useful when used by itself. But since you've taken Spanish classes in college, then you certainly know the basics, so it may be beneficial for you.

4. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tried Rosetta Stone and found it frustrating lol theres a lot of repetition and it gets boring after a while, i learned a few words though lol

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would buy a grammar textbook and a dictionary from your local bookstore. I'm not able to recommend any in particular, but I'm sure there are several. Look online for reviews of them while you're there, perhaps.

6. YIAW

I think the best way to learn a new language is to read books/watch movies/talk with people in that language. You can start watching stuff with subtitles or reading a book you already know in English.

7. ANightDude

Rosetta Stone is easy at first.

Then it gets okay.

But then it gets hard as hell. Those ridiculous "milestone" portions killed me every single time. And it might have just been easy because I had taken a few Spanish classes earlier in the year, and Spanish and Italian and very similar at first.

The thing with Rosetta Stone is that in order for it to work (among other things) is that you've got to stick with it every single day. But it's hard to do that when the program is frustrating. They don't provide you with any grammar or spelling help or anything else, so you've got to look it up or buy it yourself.

I'd suppose it'd be better to just take classes and learn from that. Who knows.

8. UnAmourFatal

This. and don't forget radios, songs, writing your diary, wikipedia, virtually anything you see on the internet in the given language.

9. mischa91

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a few books in spanish and i still have the textbook i used for the class i could dig out, maybe start there. I really don't want to spend almost $400 on a course that isn't too good and gets frustrating. Maybe i could get one of those audio courses or something so i could hear proper pronunciation and practice that way too.

10. Ascension

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tried Rosetta Stone Dutch, and I find it hard to rely on it solely without other help. And Dutch is supposed to be very similar to English, so it should be easy to learn....

11. I think the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself completely in the culture.

Especially now with the internet, it's a lot easier to gain access to learning tools.

What's worked for me, and it's just a suggestion:

1. Buy a Spanish-English, English-Spanish dictionary

2. Listen to radio/television/music/movies, whatever helps with developing the auditory skills. And how a native person speaks.

3.Go online and find an online newspaper in Spanish, and try translating a few headlines or whatever a day. My French teacher told me that was actually one of the best ways to learn a language, and learn about the culture and politics/news at the same time.

4. Eventually as you start to get comfortable with the basics, (although you've already taken Spanish so you're probably past the basics anyways), you can find books online in Spanish and read those, use your dictionary as you read to translate. Now, if you can find people to speak Spanish with, absolutely go for it. If not, while you read, read it out loud so you practice the oral part. When I'm learning a language, I buy children's books, then intermediate/teen level books, then adult books, and progressed up. And now I can read the adult level books no problem.

5. Start a diary, journal, what have you. And practice your writing skills, what you did for the day etc.

6. Try and find some pen-pals who you can become friends with (online), and then send each other emails back and forth, and if you have a really good friend, they'll correct you on your Spanish if you make any mistakes. ^_^ I actually met some really good friends this way. Started off as first wanting to practice my language proficiency, then as we got to talking, found out we had lots in common. So, this is a good one! For me at least.

Of course with having the internet, I'm sure there's no shortage of tools you can utilize and help you to continue learning. Especially since Spanish is a common language to learn.

For the price of everything on self-taught lessons of languages, books, dictionaries, etc. I don't think I've spent over $100.00.

Learning a language shouldn't be a frustrating experience, or really an expensive one at that. It should be fun. So, hope you find some good resources and continue on! ^_^

12. mischa91

Good advice thanks! i think i have a spanish-english dictionary somewhere and i'm sure i'll be able to find spanish movies/music pretty easily.

I like the idea of finding an online newspaper, i'll definitely do that.

I remember most of the basics, they need brushing up a bit then i can move on.

I don' keep a diary but can definitely start one; and i'll try finding an online pen-pal who i can write to, where did you find yours? I'm part of a few forums so i guess i could just ask around.

The internet is a great resource, i just found a bbc site with an interactive spanish tv drama that's pretty good.

13. subaru000

If you would like to learn a language from scratch (in your case, you have experience in the language, so it still works), there is a site called Duolingo | Learn English, Spanish and German for free.

It allows for you to learn the language (French, German and Spanish so far) and it also allows for you to translate Internet articles that comes from real articles online - all for free.

For background, I've used it for a month now and it's pretty addicting at times. I'm not a paid spokesperson for them, just someone who signed up for it when it was in Beta form.

#13 subaru000, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  14. Deaf Not Blind

I know the only way to learn and be fluent enough to converse with those in that ethnicity is to become emerged in it and its culture, and it takes at least 5 years to be fluent.

Im lucky, I already had a couple years ASL and deaf friends here, now 3 years surrounded daily by Deafies, I will come back home fluent in sign. If I were not hoh, I would not be getting this...I am truly the luckiest guy in the world!

15. Gen

Gen

I have the Rosetta Stone for Spanish. It is a fine tool. If anyone bought it with the intention of completely "learning" a language than they will be seriously disappointed. You cant even take spanish classes and expect to completely learn the language. English is one of the few languages you can learn the most of in a classroom or with minor tools. This is because even though we dont all speak proper english, we all understand it. Spanish, however, is often spoken in very improper forms, so you really need to talk to native friends in order to truely become fluent.

Your going to have to understand the tenses, conjugations, etc. So you ultimately will have to invest in more than just the radio, television, etc. Your going to need a program like Rosetta or to take more classes in order to get past very basic spanish :/. I take Rosetta and Spanish classes together and they both compliment each other well.

16. mischa91

Thanks, i'll check it out.

I know that when i was taking classes the first semester was with a cuban guy who knew very little english, i felt i learned more from him just talking to us than i did in the second semester with the american woman who spoke mostly in english to us. I need to find some spanish speaking friends.

I see what you're saying and yes you're right i will probably need more tools available to learn proper tenses etc. if i had the time i'd go back and take classes again but my schedule is somewhat fuller than i'd hoped.

17. Deaf Not Blind

^ YES! Exactly! Go find some cool Latino friends! And don't stick to just Cuban or just Mexican, unless you are planning to just go live there, as all the dialects are different!

No hearing person can teach ASL, trust me, just like Americans who speak English teaching you Spanish, and hearing teaching sign is not comparable to a non-speaking Deaf teacher. :slight_smile:

18. mischa91

I'll try to find some spanish speaking friends, it would be great if they were in real life friends too, but that might be tough. I wish i could have taken the cuban guys lessons after the 1st semester but he left and moved to new york, he taught us so much about the culture and music too.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't tried Rosetta Stone, but I'll give it a shot soon and compare it to what I learned in my language classes.