1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toddler sings ‘Ain’t No Homos Gonna Make it to Heaven’ in church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcaneVerse, May 29, 2012.

1. FJ Cruiser

I'm really hoping this is just Westboro Baptist being pathetic. If it's not, this is really eye-opening for me as to how backward the world can be. The deal is, I grew up in a city known for having one of the highest concentrations of fundamentalist Christians in the Western World, attending a Southern Baptist church for much of my childhood. I thought I had experienced the maximum level bigotry possible, and it isn't really anything terribly terrible, just a lot of ignorance and insensitivity. I know for a fact that this kind of s*** wouldn't fly in any church I've been to.

I'm pretty sure this is just a pathetic fringe group largely isolated from civilization.

2. Deaf Not Blind

I wish Westboro would stop calling themselves a church and just "come out of the closet" that they are KKK. :frowning2: it makes real churches look scary.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Poor kid, he is completely brainwashed. :frowning2:

4. Loras

lol so true!

5. Just Passing

I haven't seen the video, but I'm not going to get offended by it. There's much worse things in the world than toddlers singing songs with (an admittedly memorable title) a pre-fixed state of mind that they were wrongly taught.

6. Jonathan

7. RealityCheck

This really makes me so very sad. Sad for the kid, the community, and more than likely there is someone in their congregation that is battling identity issues as many of us. I can only imagine how they feel attending a church like this. I'm a person that visualizes my perceptions, and I can see a young person hiding all their pain during this, and then going home to hear their family praise the message only to recluse to their bedroom and cry their eyes out. The isolation seems so powerful. I pray that a message of acceptance would reach them and that they could be guided in our direction one day.

8. angelicbabe8

here is a question.... Where do you think the child learnt all this shit from ?

9. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sad parallel to this story......

A 15 year-old teen committed suicide in the same town as this Church in 2010 after being bullied for being gay, although he never came out as gay. His name was Billy Lucas and it is really sad that the community would be dealing with another homophobic issue.

Obviously, this town is a very homophobic environment.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually sort of thankful he's so young, both so that maybe he'll some day learn it's the wrong thing he's saying, but more so also that I can barely understand his words...him being a toddler and all...Still it's rather sad.

However based on the church being on lockdown, the thing I'll say is those sending death threats are assholes in themselves and are doing nothing but spreading more hate and that potentially sickens me more than this kid and the parents who taught him this song.

11. ArcaneVerse

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the past five years, my age has brought a change to my opinions when it comes to gay rights. When I was 20 I was the one on YouTube simply calling homophobes breeders and all that crap. Now I've come to the better opinion that they themselves are misunderstood and often just filled with too much confusion/hatred/self-loathing/lack of understanding, that they can't be blamed for how they feel. The societies they live in often have influenced them to these thoughts, and honestly I think we as the people fighting for our rights, we need to stop lashing out at those who differ in opinion on this. Now when it comes to how I've acted on EC sometimes about Republican terms, that's just another thing I still need to mature in. But yeah, just something to think about for those of you who feel like lashing out at the homophobes.

13. Mimerio

It wasn't the singing that appalling me, bare with me on this, but it was the applause and cheering of the adults... I don't have any disregards towards religion, but that's taken the biscuit surely!

14. Zontar

"Differ in opinion?" Some of this is pure hate.

Would you say the KKK "differs in opinion" from Black Americans?

15. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think people should act violently toward homophobic groups, but it's okay to argue (peacefully) with them. I would protest against KKK groups if they were attacking African Americans with their words (words that often have real consequences) or actions. Homophobic people like this Church and other radical groups are spreading a message of hate that may influence more violence against LGBT people. I don't think it's a message people should ignore. Like I said, in 2010 a kid committed suicide in this same town so the people of the Church were being insensitive by allowing that homophobic song.

I see no issue with people calmly trying to show how awful homophobia is and trying to stomp it out. But you can't fight hate with hate. There's a difference between standing up and lashing out.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
    only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~MLK Jr.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2012 at 06:07 PM ----------

I think it's more than just differing in opinion. Their homophobic opinions are hateful and dangerous. It can effect other people.

16. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto, you can't really blame the kids, they probably didn't even know what they were singing.