1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musicians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wallrose, May 11, 2012.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anyone play an instrument, or know how to sing? More than just off-key singing in the shower, or knowing a single tune on the piano.

I used to play piano, but that was about 10 years ago and I wasn't very good at the time. I'm thinking about picking it up again, I'd love to be able to play. For anyone here who plays piano, is it hard to learn?

Both of my brothers play guitar, and they're fairly good. My older brother has had singing lessons aswell.

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I play the piano. Its difficulty really depends on what your goals are. If you just want competence in sight reading and to play intermediate music, it shouldn't be too tough or take too long, but training to be a professional pianist (jazz or classical) would basically require that you drop everything and devote your life to it.

So what are your goals? Probably somewhere between those extremes I would guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really just want to be able to play some of my favourite tunes. I've always wanted to be able to play music, and sort of put my own spin on some of my favourites. I wouldn't mind being able to sight read fairly competently and I want to be able to improvise a little whilst playing, so I'm not just playing static printouts of music.

I'm not sure how realistic my goal is though.

4. Bolin

I play violin and viola, and I used to play cello and piano, but I dropped the latter two for the former.

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's very realistic. Improvising is a very subtle and tricky art, but if you are in or near a city you could probably find a jazz pianist who teaches improv. Taking music theory is a good idea, too, because it improves sight reading, makes learning faster and makes you think about music in a way which is really good for improv as well.

6. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. A lot of really popular, good songs are four easy notes. If you're interested, type in: Four Chords Song, into YouTube. And try learning the notes of the treble clef fast so you can focus on learning the arrangements.

A good first song is..

-The intro to "Some Like You" by Adele

-Fure Elise by Beethoven (don't play the bass notes)

-Yankee Doodle

-What I've Done by Linkin Park

-Clocks by Coldplay

>>>Look for any other songs with repetition<<<

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took piano lessons from age 5-10. I hated being forced to play and quit, but 5 years later I was inspired to take it back up. I bought the nicest Yamaha keyboard for my room, watched YouTube tutorials to learn my favorite songs, and I can still play real well. I forgot how to read sheet music without counting each note, but now I play by muscle memory. After practicing a song over and over, I play automatically without consciously thinking about what I'm doing.

I also have been playing guitar for about 6 years. It's real fun and not too hard to learn. Just hurts your fingers when you're building up tough skin on your fingertips.

8. anonymous1

I have played the cello for the last 9 years. I really enjoy it, playing calms me. I actually have a duet with another cellist in a month that is accompanied by the orchestra, I'm kinda nervous

9. Mad Man L

Yes. I play the piano, and have done so for almost 10 years now.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm learning the highland pipes...

11. WordsandGuitar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm actually learning how to play piano right now. What I've learned so far isn't "difficult," exactly, but I realize that'll probably get harder as I go along. I absolutely love it! I also love the fact that sight reading is getting easier and that it hurts my hands less than playing guitar does.

On that note, I've been playing bass guitar since I was 16 and acoustic/electric guitar off and on since I was about 11. I'm not really good at guitar; I'm a much better bassist, and even then, not by much. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate sight reading. I'd prefer to echo a piece.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I play trombone, baritone and handbells.

14. Fisnou

I play violin and piano. Also did a bit of cello and guitar. Would love to learn the clarinet and the marimba as well :slight_smile: Actually my dream is to dedicate a room in my future house where I'll have a collection of all kinds of instruments I'll be able to play around with! :grin: Oh, and I compose.

And to answer your question, no, I don't think the piano is hard to learn. I'd say it's one of the easiest instruments to learn (not necessarily to master though). One of my piano students is a 40-50 year old woman and she's doing pretty well. You're only 18 so it's definitely not too late!

#14 Fisnou, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can play Piano, I did 6 grades and got Distinctions in all of them, but then I stopped because A-Levels and Piano exams were too much at the same time. I just play for fun every now and again. I'm quite a good sight reader.

16. Vanille

I've been playing the bass for about two years. Though there are so many other instruments I wish I could learn to play

17. Cnidocyte

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've played horn for six years now. Horn performance was one of my desired majors but I was put off by the thought of so much practice so I just play in some of the ensembles at school. I march mellophone, can push some keys on the piano, and I can sing (I'd always thought that anybody that played some sort of instrument could also sing...). I've always wanted to learn to play the cello and the accordion.

18. SoItGoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Flutes (almost the entire range from bass to piccolo) and I dabble on the piano from time to time.
    I'm the least musically inclined of my family. My younger brother is in a masters program for classical guitar and my older brother plays in a band in the area. I do it more as a hobby/stress reliever.

19. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm studying music at uni, and I play violin as my main instrument. I also play piano and sing a bit.

20. Lewis

I can sing, but rarely get a chance to. I won't sing in front of people. I really wish I pursued music at an early age because I think I had the potential to be pretty good. I can hear notes and music in my head so clearly, but don't actually know what notes they are (because I haven't been trained to know.

Because I don't sing a lot, when I try to I get really weird aches because I haven't built up the strength to.