1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romney: Gay couples should have right to adopt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 10, 2012.

1. RedState

No...I don't think they do at all

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thread has (a) gone off topic from the original issue, and (b) is treading into personal attack territory on the part of some of Psuedojim's comments.

So... please, both of you, cut it out. :slight_smile: If you want to have the debate, please take it to private email.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More than happy with all of my comments and criticisms so far.

Also happy to let it drop, it clearly doesn't have the potential to benefit either party involved.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RedState or Michael I guess your name is, feel free to debunk this if you wish.

While I won't really criticize Romney's decisions on LGBT rights, seeing as how often peoples true beliefs and what they present to the people can be different because of multiple reasons, the party they're running for, the votes they're trying to receive, etc (after all you say what happened to the gay man who was part of Romney's staff, he left especially due to the much more conservative members of Romney's staff and party), but I feel the issue shouldn't be based around that. People seem to also forget that there are other issues.

Whether this is the fact that very few Republican presidents in the past 50 years have created jobs compared to Democratic (please note in 8 years in term George W. Bush only created 3.1 million jobs, while in 4 years Obama's already created 3.7. Far less than Clinton (16.1 million jobs) but still more in less time than Bush), the fact Romney has stated that he has a plan yet hasn't actually said WHAT that plan is, or the state of the economy which the last Republican president the USA had pretty much forced it into default (yes it happened in Obama's term in office as I'm sure many Republicans will note, but people appear to forget that after the mess Bush left, Obama had to do what he could to fix it and had to spend more money in order to try and stimulate it. So yes it wound up in a trillion dollar deficit, but only due to the actions of Bush and Obama trying to save it).

Plus there's also the other fact that Romney's yet to show us how he cares about the middle and lower-class families. Still waiting on that.

Now like I said before, RedState please feel free to debunk things I've said, though if I recall the statements I made about the economy I got from the US Census Bureau so you can't really say I'm pulling things out of my ass.

I will however respect your decision, feel free to vote for Romney, obviously I can't vote for either one, and I know you have said in the past that being a Canadian doesn't give me a right to criticize but this is the country south of Canada and Canada does have close ties to them, so I would say that does give me a little say.

Again though, I do NOT want to start a disagreement, I respect your choice in who you're voting for, I don't have necessarily anything against Romney himself, just some of the policies he's hoping to put in. The only LGBT thing that irks me really, more than anything else, is the signing of the whole Gay Marriage Pledge that NOM had him sign, but it's whether he follows through that I'd really like to see, or if he signed it just to get their support and then backs out like a good man would :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: After all NOM's not really people, just some silly organization who believes in crap :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. RedState

I will be more than happy to address these issues.
    Look for a wall message...
    I'm afraid if this thread steers any more off topic I will get yelled at...

And we wouldn't want that would we? :slight_smile:

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but the same exact thing could be said for Obama on same sex marriage. Romney and Obama are both flip-floppers, although almost every politician is.

However, Romney gets the edge for me because I hate just about every single policy Obama has.

---------- Post added 13th May 2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

Exactly.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to have no issue with giving Obama a pass while blasting Romney for changing positions.

At least Romney can say that he has never supported same sex marriage. I can respect that stance more than someone that is clearly changing his position for votes.

#46 Mike92, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually Obama evolved in his opinions not just flip flopped, at least last I checked.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Evolved?

Is that what flip-flopping is called now? OK, if you want to say that Obama's opinions have evolved, then you have got to say the same for Romney. People can't have it both ways (I'm not personally trying to attack you, just making a point).

And for the majority of Americans, this issue won't even be on their minds when voting in November. For me, the economy will be and who is best prepared to ensure that I will have a decent job when I graduate college. I believe that person is Romney.

#48 Mike92, May 13, 2012
  9. ArcaneVerse

Yes, evolved as in progressed from a - b - c, learning and growing and changing. where as flip flop is more B -A - C - B etc, which is more chaotic and has less to do with learning and growing and more to do with getting votes. but thats just how i see it.

I can see Obama's opinions on this matter as having progressed to this point. as for Romney I don't know much tbh but others have made very valid points as to why hes more fitting to the term flip flop.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Merci. That's exactly where I was coming from.

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh -- flip flopping is still flip flopping no matter what kind of positive spin you attempt to put on it.

And in terms of this particular issue, Obama is the flip flopper and Romney is not. I just find it quite odd how Obama's position on gay marriage conveniently ''progressed'' to a point that he feels the need to tell us all that he supports it six months before the election. His progression couldn't have been faster, like two or three years faster?

12. ArcaneVerse

Lol hardly a positive spin and there is a difference between the two, Evolving is a clear progression and flip flopping is not and often contradicts.

Of course its still a political move, hes a politician after all. everything they do or say is a political move.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and thus caused even more unrest in his whole party. You and I both know most presidents wait till the second term to make any shocking changes, the fact he even announced this is huge. I'm sorry what has Romney done? Oh right said he approved of adoption then changed his opinion a day later. That my friend is flip flopping. While changing your mind over the course of 10 years is evolution not flip flopping. If you're saying it isn't, then I guess we're all flip-floppers aren't we, seeing as how some of us gay men and women started out hating gays and then eventually realized we didn't like them because we were scared of ourselves. So if changing your opinions over ten years is flip-flopping, then so is any of us who have come out. :slight_smile:

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that there is a difference to a point between the two. But Obama's stance on this is clearly a flip-flopping move, in my opinion. He certainly can't accuse Romney of the same anymore. But yes, they all do it - Romney included.

As I said, this issue honestly isn't nowhere near as important to me as the economy is, and that's why I think Obama has sucked.

---------- Post added 13th May 2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Actually, Obama has always been against same sex marriage and just recently said that he isn't against it. If that isn't flip flopping, I don't know what is. He has also flip flopped on other issues as well.

I guess you missed the part where it was stated that Romney is a flip flopper, too.

#54 Mike92, May 13, 2012
  15. ArcaneVerse

How has Obama's stance flip flopped from your perspective?

Well I wasn't really arguing for either one as better then the other, I honestly don't give a shit. I don't live in America and I don't know enough about either one and their party's to weigh in on that matter.

Though imho, Equal rights and fixing the Economy are both very important things and I honestly don't see why there has to be a one or the other mentality about it. Fix both.

---------- Post added 14th May 2012 at 05:25 AM ----------

That's progression, as he was also for equal rights and civil unions and then progressed into being pro gay marriage. If however in the future he changes his mind back then that is flip flopping.

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I stated quite clearly why I believe Obama has flipped positions on same sex marriage.

For me, making sure that I can survive and support myself after college takes precedence over gay marriage. I don't personally have any interest in getting married, so I don't really care. But I can see why others that want to get married believe that this is an important issue. But polls here show that the economy and healthcare are far and away the most important topics for Americans.

---------- Post added 13th May 2012 at 03:32 PM ----------

Always having a belief and then suddenly changing your mind before an election, to me, is not progression. Romney has always been against same sex marriage, so there is a fundamental difference. But Romney certainly is not perfect, either.

#56 Mike92, May 13, 2012
  17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I give up before this turns into more squabble, I don't think anything's going to change your mind Mike...

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said above, when one gets into politics or religion, the opposing sides are never going to agree with one another, no matter how sensible one's argument seems to be. So it's sort of pointless to argue.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much. Why is it we have to bring in politics at all on EC...ugh.I know LGBT rights often wind up corresponding with it lol but still...

20. RaeofLite

At least Obama knows what it was like to grow up in a minority. Not like Romney.

Make an opinion, stick to it. If you don't stand by your opinions and beliefs, you'll fall for anything.