Not sure what to make of everything

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by o0351i, May 3, 2012.

1. o0351i

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've only just recently come to terms with my sexuality. I consider myself bi because i've only ever been with women up until recently. I don't know what the physical attraction I have with women but they always seem to make better friends or just good for sex. That sounds horrible, I know but i'm really not great with words. I've started "dating" a guy for the past few months who is pretty much out, except for at work. He's comfortable with himself and if someone asks about his love life he has no problem telling people he's gay. I on the other hand have told absolutely no one and just the thought of people knowing makes me want to shrivel up into a ball and disappear. I'm at a point where i've become so unhappy.. i'm used to the "relationships" where we can go out in public and party together and make a spectacle if we want to and I don't feel god awfully uncomfortable. I'm torn because for the first time in my life i'm with someone who I legitimately am happy with and actually feel like there's actual depth to our relationship but it's like living in a freaking cave. Not to mention we both are in the military, both live in the barracks, and are surrounded by military everywhere we go, so if we want any sort of time together we have to shell out money for a hotel because I will literally have a panic attack if we get within a foot of each other just sitting around the barracks or wherever. I'm not ready to come out, especially when my social life is so delicately intertwined with my job. I honestly don't know if i'll ever feel comfortable being out because the thought of anyone knowing keeps me up at night. I just want a resolution. I want to feel like i'm in what society perceives as a "normal" relationship. I want to have a wife and kids and all the crap that comes along with it because at least then I can be comfortable with myself. I just feel like it's going to cost me my happiness to go that route.

I know this was all a clusterfuck of words.. one sentence i'm saying i'm unhappy the next i'm happy. I really have feelings for this guy and he makes me happy. But the unhappiness I have with everything surrounding a gay relationship is destroying my life :icon_sad:

2. Leif

I'm trying to think of the right words to say here.
    I have many friends in the military, a few of them are gay or bi, only one of them is really out to everyone. I understand you not wanting to be out while still living in the barracks, that can be rough since you're surrounded by people and you have little to no privacy.

I think the things you can do in this situation is let the guy you're dating know your feelings for him and your worries about the situation. Maybe hang out more with groups of friends. Once you're out of the barracks things start getting a lot better, it just takes time.

You talk about wanting a "normal" relationship and worrying about society's perception of you. You'll learn that a lot of people on this site have similar problems. Society will get you down, the thing is at the end of the day this is your life. Your happiness. If being with a man makes you happy, there's nothing wrong with that. You say you want a wife and kids, there's nothing wrong with that either, that's kind of the dream we're pushed to wanting from the time we're born on.

I guess the point I'm really trying to get to is that coming to terms with yourself and sexuality is hard. Living in the barracks is hard. But don't let other people and society choose the way you live your life.

I hope that helped at least a little. Also if you ever need to talk feel free to message me, I live and work very closely to military folk so I have a taste of how frustrating it can be.

3. Jim1454

I can imagine how conflicted you are. Sharing that with your boyfriend is good. He should understand that we all come out on our own schedule - and it has to feel right for us.

You do have a live example of what it's like to be out to observe. Can't you take any comfort from his experiences? He is out and lives in the barracks - just like you would. Does that pose a problem for him? Do people give him a hard time?

I understand that we have all come from our own situation - and it's different for everyone. I would just think that you could draw some strength and confidence from him.

I bought into the whole 'Norman Rockwell life' that we were supposed to live. It actually didn't even occur to me that I was gay. I got married, had a couple of kids, but couldn't understand why I wasn't happy. And in my mid 30s had to finally admit to myself and others that i was gay. It took me a while to come out to everyone, but I eventually did. And I'm happier now than I've ever been. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we have a great life together - along with our 4 kids from our previous marriages, as we share custody with our ex wives. I still have my career, and he has his. We have a nice house and nice cars and go on holidays and shop at Costco. It's all good.

I understand that being in the military adds a level of stress or complexity to your situation. I'm an accountant, and my coworkers really don't care one way or another. They were usually surprised when I told them, as they knew I was married and have two kids. But then we carry on as normal. Only I get to talk about my 'husband' and what the two of us did on the weekend, rather than having to fake it or avoid such conversations.

Eventually this will all make sesnse to you. It just might take a bit of time. You've come to the right place though to talk through these things and get them off your chest.

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gay relationships are increasingly perceived an "normal." Being openly gay three years from now is going to be easier than being openly gay today, because society is progressing that fast in terms of accepting queer people. What about having a husband and kids and all the crap that comes along with that? It's not very different except that it hopefully wouldn't cost you your happiness.

5. Miranda

Well, it's not easy to come out. It always seems too early or traumatic or dangerous, but one cannot hide forever! I'm sure when you get used to the idea in time, you will be ready to come out. Yep, it does not happen in one day, but if you prepare yourself and not just escape, eventually your confusion will come to an end. Even you will be surprised how confused you were once.

6. o0351i

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Unfortunately i'm going to be living in the barracks until my contract goes up, unless I get married before then and start to rate BAH.. which the chances of that happening are about the same as me sprouting a vagina on my elbow:lol:

But I get what you're saying and I appreciate the reply. It's just a shitty time in my life to be "out" so I'm just going to stay "in" for a few more years I guess. Unless my perceptions of myself radically change between then and now, which is another big doubt but I guess anything can happen.
    I guess the silver lining to all this is not having to worry about the "disapproving family". I grew up in foster care and have no idea where my "real" mom or dad are at this point in time and could really give two fucks anyway. I think also that's why I really can't see myself coming out. The guys in my unit are pretty much the only family I have. We've been through hell and back together and as tolerant as the military is supposed to be of gays being out, it's really not that way, unfortunately.

---------- Post added 3rd May 2012 at 11:40 PM ----------

What I meant by him being out was that although he doesn't deny being gay when asked, he doesn't really go around telling everyone.. I mean yeah, he's out in so many words but I guess he doesn't "flaunt" it if that makes sense? He feels the same way I do though, no PDA in public pretty much. It's not that he's scared of being bashed it's we're still so used to DADT that it's pretty much carry on as usual don't make a spectacle of yourself kind of thing.

Absolutely no one knows i'm gay and really if it weren't for a chance encounter we really wouldn't even float in the same social circles anyway.

7. Ianthe

I can't say anything about the military, not having any experience with that.

So, I'm confused about something. Your boyfriend isn't out at work, but is out to people in the barracks? Somehow, that isn't making any sense to me.

You are experiencing shame. The thing about shame is that it is self-feeding: when you feel shame, you hide the truth about yourself, and the very act of doing so reinforces your shame and makes it worse. This effect is truly more powerful than anything anybody else says or does to you, in terms of your self-acceptance and how you feel about yourself. So, you are in a downward spiral of shame, because you keep reinforcing it.

But it can also work the other way: when you behave like someone who has nothing to be ashamed of, you reduce your shame and strengthen your self-acceptance. Having better self-acceptance results in greater openness, which reinforces self-acceptance. So, what you need to do is to start trying to do small things to turn the spiral in the other direction.

One thing you might consider is whether there is counseling available for you. I would think that there is. Counseling can be very helpful, because it is a controlled situation in which you can come out to someone (your counselor) who is ethically bound not to discuss your private business with others. The counselor can then work on your self-acceptance with you, and help you to slowly become more comfortable with the idea of letting other people know about you.

Do talk to your boyfriend about how you are struggling, and make sure to tell him how meaningful your relationship with him is to you. Ask him how he came to his current state of self-acceptance.

If there is even one friend you think you could tell, it would be a good idea, as well. Are any of your friends outspoken allies for LGBT people?

8. o0351i

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Out in the barracks as in he's shown PDA there before.. (not with me haha)... and really at work his sexuality doesn't come up in any normal conversation whereas it's not something he's really exposing to anyone. Whereas in the barracks those conversations do come up, especially after drinking or just being around drunk Marines, and it's not something he adamantly denies or goes out of his way for people to find out. His roommate knows he's gay, knows he has a boyfriend but I'd be interested to know if he has any clue that it was me.. although i've only seen the guy a handful of times.
    Sorry I'll get back to the rest of my post but I have formation in 20 minutes and I still haven't showered after pt