1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ocd

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SkyDiver, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

Anyone else out there with bad OCD?

I do alot of weird things.. and it drives me crazy when I don't do them. Here are some examples. Go ahead and judge.. I judge myself for it all of the time.

Constantly checking to make sure my fly is done up.
    Constantly checking to make sure that all doors are locked, all windows are closed, and all lights are off when I'm not in a room.
    Randomly scratching the same place on my wall over and over again (this creeps me out). Scratching the carpet.
    Jumping up and touching the ceiling. (This is very exhausting.)
    Flexing my neck and looking as far back as I can.
    Touching my eyes. (Wtf???)
    Smelling like... everything.
    Checking things over. All of the time. After exams, I have to go through them like 6 times or else I become paranoid.

Let me just say that I get most of these urges whenever I'm really excited about something, or really depressed/anxious/nervous.

Yeah. Anyways. It's really annoying, and really embarrassing.

What can I do about this?

2. Bosco

If you feel that your compulsions are interfering with day to day life you could book an appointment with a psychiatrist and get a professional opinion. They're most likely to teach you relaxation techniques to cope with the anxiety you experience when you do not engage in these behaviors.

Or before you do that you can do a little research and actuallly teach yourself these exercises! I forget the names of the psychiatrists who pioneered them, but they're pretty simple and involve breathing and muscle tensing/relaxation.

3. SkyDiver

Thanks very much Bosco!

4. Travel Tech

...Why aren't the C and the D in the topic name capitalized? I know it's kind of funny, but that is actually driving me crazy right now.

5. SkyDiver

Hahahaha it's driving me crazy too!

I tried but it automatically switches them to lowercase. :bang:

6. stilllovelyafte

I have it too. Though I am more prone to obsessions than compulsive behavior. It is BRUTAL. Fortunately, I've been getting some help and I am cautiously optimistic about it. I definitely have learned some great techniques. I don't want to get too specific on here, but if you want some recommendations of books, techniques, feel free to PM me.

7. houseofcards

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm diagnosed with OCD, I have the type where your compulsions have to do with cleanliness and showers and handwashing. I'm on a medicine to help with it, it's helped significantly well, but my skin is in such a bad condition now from taking such frequent showers, it's really oily. My skin on my hands is extremely dry too no matter how much lotion I use.

8. houseofcards

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm diagnosed with OCD, I have the type where your compulsions have to do with cleanliness and showers and handwashing. I'm on a medicine to help with it, it's helped significantly well, but my skin is in such a bad condition now from taking such frequent showers, it's really oily. My skin on my hands is extremely dry too no matter how much lotion I use.

9. alwayshope11

I have OCD, and while I mostly have it under control, mine was more based on obsessive thoughts than actions. I would DEFINITELY recommend getting a psychiatrist to talk to and who can help you! It works!

10. stilllovelyafte

Great to hear alwayshope. I've been working through the same. Good luck!

11. Sayu

Me too :frowning2: My compulsions and rituals:
    - switching the light on and off like 20 times each night!
    - switching the monitor and PC speakers every time I go out of my room
    - when I do a mistake while writing on a computer, I delete not just the wrong letter, but like, whole line/sentence
    - constantly clicking (with PC mouse) somewhere
    - checking whether I have locked the door
    washing myself often (I wash my hair like twice a day sometimes)
    - touching everything
    - checking whether the pages' number in books are in correct order
    - when I want to copy something (on PC), I don't do "ctrl+c", but "ctrl+cctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+ctrl+c", just to make sure it is copied
    - it takes me a minute just to stop the water, because I always say to myself "just a second, till this drop is out"
    - my bed must be perfect before sleeping, everything must fit

Enough? I could find some more, if you want :frowning2:
    It's so exhausting :tears:

---------- Post added 1st May 2012 at 07:39 PM ----------

Btw., do you know this quote?
    "I have CDO. It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order." :grin:

12. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    I have these obsessions with closed doors when I'm in a room, the door of the room, cupboard doors or drawers etc... It makes the place look untidy. Having a place for everything, like my clothes cupboard, or even a book shelf or desk where i work- order order order! My mom stopped putting my clothes in there when they're clean because I would go nuts and repack it because the order was wrong. My room is always tidy because I can't stand things being out of place. I also have this thing where I have to clean the inside of my mouth with my tongue many times over, I hate the feeling of food left in my mouth (makes me feel like my cat, lol). I mostly fret about time, when it comes to doing a task I constantly check the time and worried that it's going to run out. Im not as bad as I was but I used to never walk through a door way unless the clock was either on one of the 4 quarters, and if I had to wait 15mins to walk through a doorway again then so be it. Otherwise I would start having a anxiety attack..Oh and spelling, and pronouncing words correctly, I tend to correct people a bit and it makes me unpopular.

#12 DJNay, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. Custard

I have OCD as well. Here are some of the things I do~

I hate when people don't pronounce words properly.
    My TV volume must end with a 4, 8 or 0. Not sure why. It just irritates the crap out of me if it isn't.
    My volume on my laptop must be a number ending in 4, 8 or 0 as well.
    Constantly biting my lips compulsively, then applying a glob of chapstick before bed, waking up and biting them off again.
    As weird as this sounds considering the above ones about volume, the time my alarm clock goes off can NOT end with a 0. Right now, it goes off at 6:02am.
    I constantly feel as if tiny, minor details during my daily ritual of getting ready in the morning affect my day and are considered "bad" or "good luck."
    I'm paranoid about sounds outside and colors in the sky. If the sky is pink in the morning, I think my day will be passionate. If it's purple, my day will be gloomy. If it's orange or yellow, it will be exciting. Blue is average. Mixture of colors will be an emotional day.
    It's so freaky how I obsess over things. I think when I hear a dove hoot in the morning, it's good luck.
    When I'm interested in a topic, book, band, whatever, I'll research it and obsess over it dramatically. Like Zodiac Signs. Heard of them online a year ago, haven't stopped studying them since.
    I have this thing where I love staring into peoples eyes when I talk to them. Colors intrigue me, whether brown, green, hazel, blue, gray, it doesn't matter. If their pretty, my eyes are glued to yours.
    I love bread. So. So. SOOOO much. It's been my comfort food for as long as I know. Except I eat it weird. I take 2-4 slices of bread, right? Tear off the crust. Then I mound the 2-4 slices of now just white wheat (or whatever it is) and pound it all together into a tight, white ball. Then I eat it. :roflmao:

When I was still living in my childhood home about 3 years ago, I'd have a very, very creepy obsession. I was about 6 when I started doing it and I stopped when I wasss... Around 8 or 9? I'd do it more than 10 times a day. Wanna know what I did? I used to find a shape in a room or place I was currently in. Then I'd close my left eye, and focus on it. Then I'd use my right index finger and trace the outline of the object from afar. After that, I'd "shade" it in as if I was coloring in a coloring book, but that book was the air. I was so obsessed with it, my mom would call me for dinner while I'd do it, and I wouldn't leave my room till the image was shaded. Don't know why I never do it now. It was so comforting to me.

14. alwayshope11

Sometimes I worry that my OCD is stopping me from accepting my sexuality :frowning2:

15. NickD

I can relate, you're not alone. I used to have to do everything in sevens. Check the lock 7 times to make sure it really was locked, count every step I took up to 7, then start over, tap my fingers to my thumbs 7 times and repeat until it felt right. The worst was when I was pet sitting. I would always have to return to the house 7 times a day to make sure everything was alright.

Fast forward to now. I still get anxious meeting new people, but at least I'm no longer at the 7 stage. I owe it to a very talented cognitive behavioral therapist. In essence, you learn to confront the negative emotion and just ride it out. But I wouldn't suggest tackling it on your own without some guidance. I still have "knocks at the door", but at least now I know how to confront them. I'm still amazed I've made it this far.

---------- Post added 1st May 2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

I felt the same way. We all develop different coping mechanisms, I think those with OCD tend to internalize things more. But that doesn't mean we're not strong enough to change ourselves in a positive way. I think it is true that time heals all wounds, but sometimes we just need that first push in the right direction. The fact that you can make that observation about yourself means you are wrestling with the idea of sexuality DESPITE having OCD. Now that's admirable.

16. SkyDiver

Thanks so much for sharing you guys! It makes me feel ALOT better knowing that I am not the only one who suffers with this!

I do this too! Something I didn't mention at the beginning. Do you still do this?

17. alwayshope11

Nick d.. How did you stop feeling that way?

18. King

King Guest

While I certainly haven't been officialy diagnosed with OCD, I think I may have it...
    But I'm a checker. LIKE, OH MY GOD. It pisses me off so much. I have to stare at my backpack's zippers (STARE AT THEM FOR LIKE, FIVE MINUTES) to make sure they're done up and nothing will fall out. The light in my room, too, when I leave the house I stare into my room to make sure my light isn't on.
    It sucks so much, but I suppose it could be worse. :frowning2:

19. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eh, I've always felt like I have some kind of mental condition. Then again, I think I'm a hypochondriac. XD

I found a list I had posted on a site a long time ago.

Old Habits:

- Checking the four top corners of my room every like 30 seconds. Also used to do it every time I entered a small bathroom.
    - Weird clicking noise with mouth. For the most part stopped this one.
    - Mumbling something to myself, usually just when alone.
    - Pray constantly for no reason (Was the same one each time. And I don't remember what it was at this point. But it wasn't religious as much as it was compulsive), once again usually just when alone.
    - I know this is going to sound weird, but I used to forcefully blink? Like it would hurt to do it the way I did, but I felt like I had to.

Old Habits I still do:

- Walk over cracks and lines on sidewalks/whatever with my left foot. I feel that if I do that it balances out my right foot.
    - Count to 4 while eating/drinking things. At a water fountain, I count to 4. If I need to go past that, I'll go to 16 as I count to 4 4 times. Occasionally I won't though. And certain foods I'll divide into fours. If not, I have to mentally divide it in my head.
    - In general, I have to balance things with my head or I'll get a weird... pain? I don't even know the right word for it.
    - Have random urges to throw things out windows, out into deep canyons, etc. Like when I used to ride the bus and listen to my ipod. If the window was open I would have this incredible urge to throw it out of the window for no rational reason. I suppress this one though (because I really like my ipod. XD )

Newish Habits:

- Repeat the same thing in my head repeated over and over (Same phrase.) Goes in spells, but happens often and exclusively while I'm at my computer.

There are some I'm probably leaving out.

20. Custard

No, actually. It's quite surprising considering it was so extremely soothing to me as a younger kid. :lol: ~starts to air-doodle shapes in my room~