1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay relationships - can they last?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zapha, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You have gotten some awesome responses, so I'll just link this video that I found today. Two guys who have been together for 64 years and just got married.

There is also a documentary on another couple that I'll link if I remember the name. But yes, gay couple can last :slight_smile:

Bob and Henry Get Married - YouTube!

Website where I found the article: http://www.homorazzi.com/article/bo...ty-years-relationship-equality/#ixzz1tDR5O0C2

--
    And here is a pic of another couple that lives in my area. 48 years together! http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/7621-albums2993-picture26511.html

Yes, I like older couples as you can see. It makes me smile!! :slight_smile:

2. Mad Man L

Yes, they can. The reason they are less likely to last, are a few reasons:

1. The nature of human attraction.
    I recall reading somewhere that when the strong feeling of sexual attraction starts to wane (about 1.5 - 3 years into a relationship), the primary thing holding together a relationship is the feeling of affection/love. While sex will not stop after this point, there is a weaker force holding together the relationship. In heterosexual relationships, there are children, and the 'natural balance' of a man and a woman. Homosexual relationships don't have the former, and don't exactly have the latter.

2. Gay marriage.
    Because gays can't get married, break-ups seem to happen less often. In fact, long-term break-ups if the couple were heterosexuals, would be more likely to be classified as divorce rather than a 'break-up'.

3. Homosexual relationships are different.
    Gay relationships are different. Not in terms of love, but it's not as if there are traditional paths to go down.

They most certainly can last, it is just there are differences which make gay relationships (appear) to not last as long.

3. Silenced

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Former Justice of the High Court of Australia, Michael Kirby. Gay man who's been with his partner for 47 years. Believe it.

4. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only know 2 gay couples in very long term relationships. Only one of them is monogamous. It seems an vast majority of gay relationships last less than 2 years.