1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion of homophobes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Valeyard, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Opinion of Homophobes?

1. Like

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. Dislike

53 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Hate

32 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Don't Care

32 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Lewis

Don't care, because like others have said, if I judge them - I'm just as bad.

My best friend (doesn't know that I'm gay) was pretty homophobic, but now that some of his other friends have come out, he no longer is. I think it's a lack of understanding. Straight homophobic people often assume that we all fit the stereotypes of being gay and that we must be attracted to them because of it - which scares them a little. I definitely think it takes someone to know or to be related to a gay individual for them to change how they feel.

I believe that as more people come out, the less homophobic people will be. It's because right now, we're a minority and as that minority grows, they will see we're not all that different. We can't possibly say that we truly hate them for their beliefs, it's not their fault that they don't understand us enough, I think we avoid them too much rather than showing we're not all that different. We often even segregate ourselves from straight people, which is completely the wrong approach in my opinion. I don't think that we need our own flag, a parade or anything like that. We need to just subtly tell people that we're gay. I just feel that we alienate ourselves too much from the rest of the world, when we need to be showing people that it's completely natural to be gay.

I know it's kind of hypocritical, because I'm not out yet, but we need to make a future in which people just casually ask each other if they're straight or gay or their preference, rather then us having to make a huge statement about it.

Sorry if I've got the wrong idea, this is just my opinion...:confused:

#21 Lewis, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Well, wouldn't it be lovely if we could coexist. But we can't, because they are quite frequently trying to take away our rights.

3. Lewis

I don't think the matter is whether we can coexist, because I don't believe that homophobia (on a large-scale) is going to exist at some point in time. Obviously we are going to have the few that can never change their opinions (like the KKK still can't about black people), but I don't believe those few will affect us at all. Things are moving forward, and it's rare that I ever come across anyone viciously homophobic.

4. Waffles

Whether we like it or not, a hater's gonna hate. ( -_-)p
    But they just need to mature up and learn to GET OVER IT.
    Homophobes are like children who hate their veggies: Veggies are there whether you like it or not. So suck it up and deal with it. XD

5. aidan

Homophobia is awful and oppressive and deadly, and the people who perpetuate it are scum and I hate them.

6. Deaf Not Blind

yep.
    i think if people did not have this weird need to make everyone they know into a copy of themselves we all could get along.

also not good info out there. they think because we are different we are rapists and molesters.

example:my best friend's sibling would not let me around her kids, told me not to talk to them, because i am "different." um, i think that she is kinda creepy! although i have not come out she assumes from how i talk and think i am going to hurt her kids? she is a nut. it made it hard to remain friends with the rest of my buddy's family.

i love everyone equally, not in a bad way. unless people can be made aware that not all people who are LGBT have a sick agenda, we will not be safe.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2012 at 09:09 AM ----------

i know why you feel hate. but i just want to warn you, if someone allows hate for any person to grow and fester in their heart, then they will become like the person they hate. so you will become more filled with rage and may one day snap at them. it is hard, but try to work on how to forgive them. then people will be drawn to you, your kind soul, you will not become a hate filled monster, but a gentle person, and winsome, that means they will lose and you will win because they can't make you a hater.
    best wishes

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try not to care, but I don't like it. I guess I don't understand it, life is to short to be angry all the time.

8. Sayu

I chose "dislike", though there are some people around me that are homophobic and I like them...

9. Caoimhe Fayre

I don't know how to answer this.

One, how are we defining homophobe? Is it as anyone who against homosexuality for any reason, even if they keep it private and it's solely a religious conviction, or is it just people who are willing to speak out against homosexuality and go around comparing homosexuals to pedophiles and the like?

I mean, some of the former are people that I love intensely - even some of them people I would willingly trade my life to protect, people I would die for without batting an eye. Even some of the latter are people that I care about.

I hate what they say. I hate that some of my dearest, closest friends are currently attempting to convince me to return to Courage or to attempt a different form of therapy, or threatening to withdraw their friendship from me if I choose differently... it hurts so much that I was even (briefly) considering suicide or returning to the Courage fold a few nights ago, but I have managed to let that go now after talking with my psychologist and working through the rejection that I am experiencing.

but my love for myself, my work on self-acceptance, doesn't mean I stop loving the people who have hurt me. I was more vulnerable with these people than I typically am... I'm an open book to almost anyone, but I am emotionally available to a VERY small number of people. and as some of that number of people who actually have it in their power to really hurt me, they have really hurt me, but I still love them. I'd still die for them, trade my life for theirs without hesitating.

that's probably why it hurts so much. I'd never do the same to them, no matter what they did or what decisions they were making. I don't like or appreciate what they say or the decision they are making to exclude or disconnect from me. I don't like that they are pressuring me to return to a program that is so unhealthy as Courage. but I know they don't understand, don't have my experience, and can't understand - and I still love them, and I will never stop loving them.

10. secretguyX

I don't hate them for having a certain viewpoint, but they shouldn't hate me for who I fall in love with either. They're choosing to be ignorant and close-minded, while it's not a choice to be LGBT. But if I were to hate them it'd be just as bad as them hating me, so I just dislike them.

11. SkyDiver

If they're silent homophobes, I have absolutely no problem with them.

If they're raging homophobes, I dislike them.

If they're raging homophobes that actively try to make the lives of LGBT people horrible, I severely dislike them.

12. Deaf Not Blind

i take it that Courage is a support group, in your church, to help people struggling with sexuality?

idk what they do, but although going to any kind of group is not a big deal, so called friends who order you to go or be shunned are not real friends. where in their Bible does it say they get to judge your 'sins" and you don't get to judge theirs?

because of the threat, i think you should not go, as it is bad for their souls to think that is what they are to do...control and be self righteous. i am sorry you are losing them, kinda, but maybe it is a blessing in disguise. if you were not "different", you may still think they care and have your back.

you should take the high ground, and tell them why you have chosen to not go back, that the way they act is repulsive. maybe they will learn to in future not be so cruel.

(*hug*)

13. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

I don't hate homophobes, I just hate their views on homosexuality. However, i'll respect their views as long as they don't bash me or any other LGB people. If they are rude and tell me I'll go to hell or something, then I'll get angry. But if they say something along the lines of "I personally don't think homosexuality is right, but I'll respect you," then I'm fine. I wish that everyone could be open minded, but some people were raised to think that homosexuality is wrong, and it's tough to convince them that it's not.

14. Just Adam

I hate them. The fact they think theyve the right to judge my love, that they are that important.

15. jony8472

I don't care about them. They're people. They're entitled to their own opinion and to like or dislike people - I mean I like and dislike people for a whole variety of reasons (some 'right' and some 'wrong'). But if I dislike someone I just avoid them. So as long as they're over there and I'm over here it's cool.

16. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I'm curious why an lgbt person could like them.

I said I don't care. I do care that they are homophobic and I wish they weren't, but odds are they were raised by someone who guided them into the homophobe that they are.

If they are causing harm, then I have a problem with it. If it is just their lack of knowledge on the topic, then I don't mind, and maybe if someone came out to them and explained that they are happy with their life and that nothing can change their orientation, they would change their mind. It happens frequently.

17. Hawthorne

18. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I tend not to like them. They base their opinions on ignorance. How can someone's lifestyle choice cause you so much anguish that you have to hate them? Especially considering that their choice has no effect on your well being. I just can't understand what would cause you to hate someone based on who they have an attraction to or choose to love.

19. Oblivion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care, it's their loss that they won't get to find out how great some people are just because they dislike their sexuality. I am slightly scared of homophobic people finding out and acting aggressively towards me, but I don't hate them, it might never even happen lol.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate homophobes. They are a threat to me and people I love. They are vandals and vampires upon the goodness of society. Their views compromise, and in some cases eliminate their humanity.