1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you guys think about gay pride parades?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KatKut, Apr 7, 2012.

1. KatKut

I suppourt gay parades and I don't mind If people celebrate them what i don't like is the way some maybe a minority celebrate them knowing that the media will mostly focus on them rather than more important LGB issues,many people would march with gay parades If certain selfish people didn't derail the purpose of those parades and celebrations doing and wearing what they do :slight_smile:

since the media focuses on them and everyone knows that,then many people don't support them because they know that they'll be associated with those people,because what straight people might possibly get from that...is that they march with those people because they suppourt those people cause they're just like them :frowning2:

hate has its roots in ignorance and fear and what those half-naked drunk people do is scare straight people,we want to demonstrate that homosexuality isn't immoral that we're like anyone else and what those people do is the contrary to the purpose of those parades they givae homophobes the right to call LGB people IMMORAL :frowning2:

#21 KatKut, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Amen, brother :thumbsup:

3. KatKut

and "it's media's fault not half-naked people's fault" argument doesn't convince me like at all,we are grown up people and we know the consecuences of our acts,so we LGB people still being an oppressed group world wide should act more responsible and try not to be so selfish and yeah we all love partying but we have carnivals no need to use LGB parades for that purpose.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm with you in the sense that I would never be up in a float half naked, but I disagree when you call them selfish.

A lot of people don't care about making a political stance or trying to get straight people to accept them. They are not activists and they don't care about it. They just want to enjoy their lives, doing whatever it is that they enjoy doing and not caring what some people may think. Who are we to tell them "listen, you must act like this, this and this. If you don't, then you are hurting the whole gay community and its because of you that homophobes hate us!"? We would be very self-righteous to think that way.

Instead of trying to tell other people how to act and what to do in order to be accepted, it would be more beneficial to focus on what YOU can do to help your community become a better place. If you want a march just to show people that you are just an average joe that happens to be gay then go for it. Meet people that agree with you, organize your own events and make it happen.

We can criticize people all we want, but at the end of the day they are just living their lives. They are going out there and doing what makes them happy while we stay here and complain about how THEY aren't helping US get what we want.

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very good point.

It's definitely not something I would be part of, that's for sure.

6. Just Passing

I don't particularly like the idea of Gay Pride parades, if only because it's too in your face and demanding equality through parades isn't exactly ideal.

7. King

King Guest

1) Of course there isn't anything wrong with taking pride with who you are and your history. But when you show pride by giving other LGBT people a bad rep... How's that fair?
    2) As for celebrating St. Patricks Day and Columbus Day (and Christmas), celebrate them if you want. I never said I celebrated them (because I don't).
    3) I'm not saying "gay folks have to assimilate" I'm saying that there's better ways to go about showing pride. Being half naked and running down the street screaming "O-M-G I'M SOOO GAY AND SOOOO PROUD" is not a good way of doing that, because it becomes something like When I Tell People I'm Gay:
    gay-pride-parade.jpg

What I Really Am:
    generic-man.jpg

8. It doesn't make sense, because the majority of people don't try to make you feel ashamed of being straight. Straight people aren't bullied for their sexual orientation. They're not killed, or denied rights for it. I agree that, in this context, the opposite of pride is shame --- it's not about saying "I'm proud to be gay." It's about making a social statement that being gay isn't something to be ashamed of. Like other people have said, half naked guys on floats is not the norm, at least in my experience. And while I don't agree with how they present themselves, those few people aren't giving us a bad rep. In any group, there will be people who are acting like idiots. If you see a black person being obnoxious, do you think "Oh, all black people must be like that"? Some people will, but that just means THEY need to get over their prejudices. It's their problem, not ours. That's another thing about pride. It's about saying "I don't care what other people think. This is who I am, so either accept it or get lost."

9. Beertruck

Man, why do I get the feeling not many of you guys have been to pride. XD

Again, as I and many of the other people in this thread have pointed out, the vast majority of pride are just normal people marching in support. But those people don't make the news... just like the normal people celebrating their Irish heritage don't make the news, but the drunks do.

Also, I think you kind of missed my point re: other cultural holidays. You're not by any means obligated to celebrate them, but people are allowed to show their pride in their culture without anyone blinking. I mean, in my area, there are literally dozens of parades celebrating different cultures - gay pride is one of many. Why must we, as a cultural identity (and yes, as an LGBT person you are part of that cultural identity), be quiet when everyone else isn't?

I think the question is, why all the secondhand embarrassment? Your friends know you, your family knows you... who cares what people you've never met think of you?

10. RedState

I only actually have been to one..and that was by accident. But I've been to a few after parties where a pride celebration had just occurred in a couple of cities.

They always turn me into a slut for some reason.

But, what's really wrong with them?

Would I get out and march in one?

No...but, some people do and they enjoy it. So what? Big deal...they're having a good time..they are doing their thing..let them do it.

As far as the statement that they give "gays a bad name" well, I think that's nonsense.

Sure there are some people that go over the top in these things...but good Lord do you think we are the only group that has people like that?? Have you ever seen anyone with Irish heritage on St. Patty's day? I don't ever see an Irishman saying that day gives them a bad name (Guinness, which is grade above motor oil, already does that).

The one parade I actually went to, which was in Atlanta, you had some outlandish things out there...but for the most part the people were pretty tame...pretty normal..and you had a lot of straight people that were simply supporting the issue.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Parades, of any kind aren't really my thing.
    I think it's great for the people involved, but I do think people sometimes tend to equate LGBT with 'half-naked men in thongs doing the samba', which is inaccurate.
    To bad people aren't willing to see beyond their prejudice.