1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hunger Games (2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Fusileer, Mar 19, 2012.

1. caughtbywitness

SEEN IT:

<3 - keeps well to the book, I could guess pretty much what they were gonna say on occasions but there's also great bits from outside the games. Good way to leave it for the next one, too! My favourite/sadest bit had me close to tears.

</3 - Unnaturalistic in places loses effect.

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Saw it yesterday and all I can say is...eh :/

Not a horrible movie by far, but its also not as great as I thought it was going to be. Granted it can never be as good as the book, but it just didn't have the WOW effect I was hoping for.

The only thing that did bother the crap out of me was...
    How Katniss finds the mockingjay pin at the Hub. Then she gives it to Prim, who then gives it back to her a WHOLE day later as a way to "remember" her by. Come on! -_-

3. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, right? And wasn't it Madge who gave the pin to Katniss in the original book?

4. secretguyX

I can't wait to see it! I loved the books, but I only started Mockingjay so far. I probably would've went at midnight if I hadn't been sick all week.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know!! And she wasn't even in the movie! I don't know how they are going to do the other movies since Madge makes I think three appearances after? We'll see.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, without spoiling too much, can someone tell me what this book is about? I'm almost finished with my current novel and am look for something else to read.

Thank you

7. MikeyHonore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can not wait to go see it! I love Katniss <3

8. sugarcubeigloo

Saw the midnight premiere... I really enjoyed it. They did a good job condensing a whole book into a movie in my opinion. :slight_smile:

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's set in the future, in what used to be North America. What's left of the continent has been divided into 12 "districts" all ruled by The Capitol. Each year, as payment for a rebellion that saw the 13th district annihilated, all 12 districts must sacrifice 2 young people (1 boy and 1 girl, referred to as "tributes") to participate in a tournament to the death for the entertainment of those at The Capitol. The main character, Katniss, volunteers to take place in the tournament in place of her sister.

The first book covers mostly just the games, Katniss' relationships with her family, Peeta (her fellow District 12 tribute with whom she is painted as being in love with to entertain the people watching The Hunger Games), and Gale (a friend/hunting partner/possible love interest.) but the story also touches on rebellion, government, third world issues (in a way, since some of the districts are so poor.) and several other topics.

It's sort of difficult to summarize, especially with only 8% battery life left... xD Hopefully I didn't give too much away. I'm pretty bad about that sort of thing when it comes to books I love.

10. BudderMC

That's good to know - it was the one part I was worried that would be either great or terrible.

I don't think I've been excited to see a movie enough to want to go to a theater in while. Can't wait to see it!

11. ANightDude

It was an absolutely fantastic film. I've only got two complaints: the over-use of handheld camera the first twenty minutes of the movie (after that it became much more steady, and it worked great during the actual Games), and the credit font. Something about that really bugged the crap out of me.

Seriously, other than that, it was phenomenal. The script was fantastic, thank God Suzanne Collins and Gary Ross wrote the film. The Costume Design and Make-Up were stunning, as were the sets, the acting from all was beyond what I had hoped for. Jennifer Lawrence is seriously one hell of an actress. Best performance of 2012 so far.

And the ending is so haunting and well done, in my opinion. Total 10/10 currently. And I've seen it twice already. :slight_smile:

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds cool, thanks

13. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just watch the hunger games movie today!!!

14. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Saw the movie twice. It was okay the first time, but it was only during the second time that I realized how much I loved it. As a stand alone film, I'd give it an 9/10. As an adaptation of the book, I'd give it a 7/10.

-I had a few gripes. The announcers during the games really detracted from the plot and action inside the Arena. The dialogue was cheesy and acting, stiff.

-They made Haymitch into a sympathetic lovable character unlike the books. He's supposed to be drunk all the time (angry and vomiting) as opposed to his "Jack Sparrow swagger" in the movie. He's supposed to be their only shot of winning the Games, and Katniss feels let down by his mentorship.

-The ending of the movie felt rushed, as if they had reached the end of their runtime and realized they forgot to end it. The mutt and Nightlock scenes were extremely disappointing.

15. randoney31

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved the books, kind of disappointing they missed out crucial parts of the story (not going to state cause i don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it). The make up, costume design and all that stuff was pretty good as well.

16. x2x2x2x2y2

I'm going to see the movie in an hour. So excited!! I just hope the other people in the theater aren't loud or anything. lol

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For seeing it before the book, it was AMAZING! <3 I can't wait to read the books, I've asked my parents to buy it for my birthday for April. :grin:

18. TheRoof

I loved the movie, even though I hadn't read the book yet. I especially liked Jennifer Lawrence, and the guy who played Peeta was pretty good too. I already downloaded all three books to my iPad, really excited to start reading!!

19. x2x2x2x2y2

It was great but:

- Katniss and Rue's relationship felt so short. I think they should've built on it a little more, especially because Katniss spends a fair amount of time crying after her death. (Though I will say that the way they shot the scene with the spear that hits her was quite good. And I also liked the District 11 riots.)

-The nightlock scene was so rushed. The people I went with who hadn't read the books were asking me wtf had happened. lol

-The mutts were very meh in the movie. The idea of them being dead tributes is what was so terrifying about them in the book. Without that, there's nothing special about them.

-The ending wasn't right. They completely eliminated Katniss and Peeta questioning her love for him. I think people who haven't read the books will automatically assume that she really did love him because the movie didn't even try to question it really.

Like I said, it was great but those were the things that bothered me.

Also: Jennifer Lawrence did an amazing job as Katniss.

20. sanguine

man the guys in this movie are hot, Lenny Kravitz is my kinda guy