1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Christian Asian best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by randoney31, Mar 17, 2012.

1. randoney31

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well after reading a bunch of stuff on google, and watching youtube videos and reading these forums, i finally come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual (i know my thing says confused but ill fix it later).

So basically, I'm out to no one yet because I just figured it out this morning before I went to do some stuff for a project at school (ugh who knew music composition could be so hard). Anyway before I come out to my parents and family, I want to come out to one of my best friends, whom I'll name Bob (i know i suck at making up fake names)

Anyway, Bob and I met at our very catholic high school through a friend last year. Anywho, turns out we both had alot in common. We were both from the same country and moved to the same country. Were both now in our second year of high school and both in the top academic class for my year.

Now I feel like I can trust him to come out to him but like i don't know how to come out to him. I'm not going to come out through technology because it just doesn't feel right and i've heard people tell me it's turned out bad.

What do I say to him and what things get awkward between us?

Please help

2. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That really depends on the person.

For me, I prefer to throw in a bit of humour like "What does an apple and me have in common?". Btw the answer to that question is "we're both fruits" and that's like my coming out clincher line. I usually smile and try not to panic when I come out. That usually gets rid of any potential tension between us. If I look cool with it, the listener might reciprocate.

Don't drag it. Get to the point.

Sometimes you might find it hard to describe yourself as 'gay' or even uttering the word may be hard at first. Try a roundabout approach like talk about something that would strongly imply that you're gay. I'm not referring to cliche 'gay' topics such as Glee, Lady Gaga and the likes. I'm referring to crushes or love problems.

My first coming out was completely unplanned (I posted it here a while ago). I was drunk (I guess it's not applicable to you since you're underage) and it turned out awkward initially (it was entirely my fault) but ended well in the end.

Try reading the other coming out threads to get a grip on similar coming out situations. There are also a lot of books on coming out. You can always borrow one from the library or just google it. I think there is a guide on this website somewhere.

What's his outlook on LGBTs? You might want to consider that first before coming out to him. If you're unsure about his perspective on gays, try finding it out before coming out.

Good luck! Keep us updated. :grin:

3. Noir

I personally have one of my best friends who happens to be Asain and a Catholic, and she's fine with the LGBT community. Our high school is very diverse, so even though she came into high school knowing only other Asains from her community, she sure doesn't now!

I think this is an opportunity for you to see how strong the friendship is--it's cliched, but if he's really your friend then he'll understand after a while, even if he seems distant or confused at first. And this is a way to help him get used to knowing more about the world and the people in it, too, all kinds! That's just my opinion, and I do think it would be easiest to get a clue to his reaction first, how he feels towards the LGBT community. If it could go well for me, then there's definitely a possibility that you'll be accepted as well! Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Caoimhe Fayre

if you only figured it out this morning, how are you with this? It's a lot, but probably a relief to have it semi-figured out, right? just make sure you're ready to still be on your side and to remember your supports in a worst-case-scenario, but also keep in mind that hopefully this will be a best - or average - case-scenario, and your friend will support you.

I'm proud of you for deciding to come out so quickly - you are already a lot braver than I am, just for that :slight_smile: I hope your friend is supportive, but even if he's not, remember you have all of us here on EC for support and you are not alone.

and I hope your situation is like mine in that you will joyfully find most(if not all) of your friends are supportive.

good luck and keep us posted!!!

5. randoney31

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update - Guys thank you for your advice so much but after some serious thinking, I asked my friend what he thought of his views on gay people and he said That "things would get awkward if I was friends with one" - (exact quote). I decided to run back into the closet. Anyway I'm still friends with him. Ugh I just need to talk to someone before I emotionally break down. Preferably someone I didn't know personally. Thank you guys so much I'm very sorry I ran back in the closet. I feel so bad