1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do deratory terms offend you IF...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by King, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Markio

Re: Do deragtory terms offend you IF...

I will still be offended if it is used in front of other people. I think inside jokes that use offensive language need to be kept between the parties involved.

Example: As an RA, I was walking through a hallway and someone had written "suck nuts, you old fag" on a dry-erase board on someone's door. Does that not sound potentially hostile? What if the person in the room was gay? I ended up knocking, and the people inside explained it was part of an inside joke between some of her friends. I explained that while the intent was harmless, the word "fag" has a lot of baggage behind it and could be seen by anyone on the hall--beyond her friends that were in on the joke--so I said I was going to erase it. They were pretty understanding about it.

2. seeksanctuary

One one hand... It must be nice, to be in a position where such terms can be used jokingly. e_e; Not everyone has that luxury. And yes, it is a luxury. For some people, those terms floating around means a beating is coming, and there's no way it can possibly be a joke. At least, not one that ends well for the subject in question.

On the other hand... It depends. *I* use the term fag between me and my boyfriend sometimes, as does he. It's not a joke so much as terms we've claimed as our own, and use because they describe how we feel/act at the time. But if someone else called us fags, I'd be offended. Especially if they were strangers.

3. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I do feel offended when others use derogatory terms. Although sometimes I know it's used playfully, I just don't like them being used.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not a fan of the term fag ot faggot, I clocked a few jaws in my day over that.

As far as saying, "thats gay" it annoys me but I can ignore it. I have often noticed it usually a group of boys saying it, like ya what's gay? a 5 way date guys!

5. needshelp

well, i can tolerate it even though i would be offended on the inside and try not to show it. i most definitely have a problem with the f-word though. even when i used to say it whenever i would repeat the lyrics of rappers that said it when i was deeply closeted, it still offended me deeply. maybe because i knew that i was gay and was hiding it, i don't know but that word never sat right with me even as a kid.

as for gay, queer, homo or any other word, i can let it slide although i'm starting to find those words just as offensive as the f-word the more i hear people use it in negative tone.

#45 needshelp, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I hate “nigger”, “faggot”, and most of all, “coolie” (I am no one’s slave) and I hate how it all three are hypocritically used as friendly terms.

7. whitefang

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN THE N WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that no one should use that word at all. I HATE THE FA* WORD TO

8. Mobiusponder

They make me cringe. It depends. Usually yes, though ...

9. Just Passing

Not at all. There's much worse things to get insulted by.

10. IanGallagher

If it's said playfully, I'd probably just laugh along. However, fag would be technically wrong since I like girls and girls more so lol. I joke around about the bi stereotypes though.

11. aidan

I don't like them. I don't see why people would willingly choose to say words that carry a ton of negative connotations and run the risk of upsetting somebody. I don't care what the context or intent is behind it either. Intent is not magic.