Is it me, or do LGBT teen books all have the same plot?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ANightDude, Mar 4, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

As someone with gaining clout in Hollywood, gonna try to tell some good gay or bi story lines. Already have one script with a straight-acting gay supporting character who finds himself by film's end and he follow only one of the above - being in high school lol. What books do you guys like that you could see as easily becoming films? For example of more my speed - 'Shelter' is fucking awesome, that movie rocks.

#21 IanGallagher, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. OdetoaLoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't read much LGBT teen fiction, but the books that I have read, definitely do tend to have the same type of plot. One of the first books that I read within this genre was several years ago, and it was written by the author Mark Roeder, and although the writing and character development wasn't the best, I liked the overall story. I went onto Amazon recently to search for more books by him, and downloaded a sample of one that seemed interesting from the synopsis, only to be disappointed with his way of storytelling. His writing is so repetitive, with the main characters restating their thoughts over and over again, and very little dialogue , just pages and pages of a main character's thoughts. Yawn. He has tons of books out, usually in series, and I can imagine them all being melodramatic, repetitive, and corny. Even though I generally like teen fiction, I decided to start checking out more adult oriented books within the LGBT category specifically, to see if there was at least one that I could enjoy.

3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

You're pretty on point with that.

The ones I always see:

Smaller, gay kid who is either "out", or considered un-popular. Has a fag-hag (for lack of a better term) with a huge personality. Meets popular guy (usually on the football team) who's closeted. They fall in love....blah blah blah. Gets old.

4. TheLadyPrince

^ This.

What I really want is a book where the teen main character is already out and it's not seen as such a big issue. Not everyone is surrounded by close-minded people that'll bash them the moment they say they're gay. For some people it's as easy as bringing up the weather and is treated as such.

And all this hate for teen lit from you othe guys! Well, I can understand the hate for the romance ones because those tend to be a little odd but there are a few nice adventure ones where romance takes a backseat to the action.

Also, I started reading The Geography Club and stopped because, ya know, cliches.

5. Phoenix91

Wow I really had no idea there were many teen lgbt books. I think the only lgbt teen book I have read was Ash by Malinda lo otherwise I have read none. I tend to read tons of lesbian fiction so I'm not aware about the teen lgbt genre.

6. Maddoxx

Don't hit me, but I like reading about romance *hides* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Leora

You should read Will Grayson, Will Grayson- and also Maureen Johnson's The Bermudez Triangle. Sigh. It's fantastic.