1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage to be made legal for gays by UK govt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Robert, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government, it seems, is committed to making gay marriage a legal right. The Prime Minister, himself, is determined that this law will be passed before the lifetime of this Parliament has expired (before 2015 - probably in 2012).
    Religious groups such as the Quakers have been calling for same sex marriage for quite some time while bodies such as the Catholic Church oppose such a measure. Civil Partnerships are already legal in the United Kingdom. No religious organisations will be forced to marry gays.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/09/1...full-gay-marriage-after-cameron-intervention/

I am unsure whether this is a right which will be given to gays across the United Kingdom or whether it will be just for Britain or maybe even just for England. Does anyone know?

#1 Robert, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Pilgrim is hot

I saw this a while ago and I'm not sure I trust our government to implement it, what really worries me is that our timetable is 2015 which is 3 years away, we don't really have much of an anti gay movement over here and yet in america which has groups like focus on the family ect they already have it legal in 8 states, I don't understand it, for some reason in the UK this is not receiving much coverage.

Oh and I believe this is only for England as Scotland, Wales and Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland all have their own governments that would have to pass this legislature themselves.

One separate query I have is if someone from the UK got married in Holland or somewhere where it is legal, are they still acknowledged in the UK?

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

4. Elven

I'm pretty sure that if you have a same-sex marriage in another country it is converted to a civil partnership in the UK.

Wales, Scotland and Norn Iron do have their own devolved governments but as to whether this is for them or the UK Parliament to decide I don't know. I should think it would be implemented for the main UK, islands with their own governments (like the Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, etc) and overseas territories (like Gibraltar, Falklands, etc) tend to deal with LGBT rights at their own seperate rate but this may include them as well. Even if it is just England to begin with it would likely spur the others to quickly follow suite.

5. Fintan

Yes, if you have a gay marriage from a foreign country it is converted to a civil marriage in the UK.

As for if Westminster could pass a gay marriage law that would affect all devolved countries (Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales), yes it could. And it did with the Civil Marriages Act, 2004.

I'm impressive with David Cameron thus far, the UK is in rough shape and he's seemed to be able to walk the tight rope between cutting too much and protecting social services. However, with Moody's recent threat of downgrading the UK, its becoming more and more difficult.

I think Prime Minister Cameron's Conservative Government will pass gay marriage for all who want it in the UK -- probably before the end of the year. But we'll see.