1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your high school prom. did you go?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by needshelp, Mar 1, 2012.

1. silkfrog1292

Prom isn't as big of a deal here as in the US, almost a quarter of the people at my school didn't go. I went to both my year 11 and year 12 prom. I went alone for year 11 and with two female friends for year 12. I didn't dance much since I suck at dancing, but the music was good and overall it was a pretty good night.

2. Sailorsheart

High School was such a mixed bag of feelings and emotions. Funny now looking back I see the whole thing in a different light. I went to both Junior and Senior Proms and did the whole nine yards with dress up and all. I had dates for both Proms and in hindsight I see that my dates just wanted to be seen and talk with their friends. My function was to provide a nice dinner and an occasional dance. Oh well, so it goes…

3. nope. i was grounded lol.
    :tantrum:

4. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never gone to any dances and I plan to keep it that way. Dances, at my school, are breeding grounds for drama and I want no part in it. Also, I have no sense for dancing and I dislike the music they play at these dances anyway.

5. CDkimmy86

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Me and this girl went to our senior prom, we just went as friends, we had gotten dumped.a couple weeks before. She came out as lesbian to me one night, and I told her I was bi and transgender.

6. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah, in both grade 11 and 12. It was just... expected. To the extent that I doubt I even considered not going, and that I don't think I've ever thought to analyse it before now. I didn't go to a single other dance in the rest of high school, I barely even danced at the formals, but I did go, same as everyone else.

If I'd been out at the time, it might have made a difference, but probably not. I remember the same year I was in grade 12, there was a minor furor in the papers about a couple of gay boys at another school in my city who'd been refused permission to go to their formal together... but the general consensus among my friends at the time was something along the lines of 'don't rock the boat, the point of formals is about tradition, not love or progressive statements.' Which, in that context, at that time, seemed perfectly correct.

7. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

No, I never really had a desire to go so I skipped my prom. It's not really my thing.

8. Techcompu2

I went, with a male friend, but only as friends. He basically only agreed cause I wanted to go for the experience and I knew I would never find a real date. He didn't really want to go at all, but he had said yes a couple weeks prior, before saying I should still go, but try to find someone else to go with. When a different friend heard about him saying that, she basically made him feel guilty enough about already having saying yes, that he agreed to go. I had kinda felt guilty for making him go if he didn't want to, but when we actually went, he seemed to be having at least a lil fun. Though I'm sure that it didn't hurt that I was paying for everything, from tuxes, to dinner and tickets.

In the end, I am glad I went, just to say I went to my prom, though I still wish I had an actual date for it, it was still somewhat fun.

9. King

King Guest

I'm not going just because I don't fancy the people I go to school with/large groups of people. I've been asked by quite a few female friends to go just for fun but I don't really want to.

10. BudderMC

I'm not really into dressing up or dances, but I went. It's prom. It only really happens once, I so I figured I might as well go to say I did... and I had a pretty good time. Didn't go to any of the afterproms or anything, but we did do an awesome 1am McDonald's trip in formal gear. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am almost certainly not going. The thought of going to such a large social event that lasts hours horrifies me. The only way i would go is if i had a massive confidence boost came out and found a bf in the time between now and the prom, not likely.

Anyone planning on going have a nice time :slight_smile:.

12. DJT

DJT Guest

I didn't go to my prom, just for the fact that I spent 5 years with people I hated, and I didn't want to spend another minute longer with them! Although, I feel like I did miss out on a rite of passage, which is a shame :/

13. Tiny Catastrophe

Never went to my prom. I wasn't going to try and have a good time with people who took pleasure out of torturing me. Plus big dance things like that aren't my thing. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is dead set on us going to hers, which has been an ongoing argument for like ever.

14. davidallen

i dont think i am going to go to my 12 grade prom this year

15. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I went to my junior prom but only because my bestie's boyfriend at the time bailed on her at the last second and I graciously agreed to fill in as her date. Dances really don't interest me all that much, to be totally honest. We had fun though. She wore a plum dress that had a really, really, beautiful silver tulle skirt and I had a matching vest and a tux and everything. We went with another couple that we were friends with at the time that decided to do a 50's theme. She had a blonde Betty Page wig that she wore, and he wore a leather jacket. They looked like they came straight out of Grease. I skipped my senior prom though. Prom is overrated, in my opinion.

16. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Mine is actually next month, I will not be going….I have no one to bring, and if I did my parents would want to know who, thus outing me to them..

17. ameliawesome

i didn't go to the junior formal because it's basically just a mini-prom, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so my friend and i threw a big anti-formal party that night. senior prom was a lot of fun. i kinda wish i'd had a girlfriend at the time because my school didn't ban same-sex couples from buying a prom package and it would've been nice to take advantage of that. but it was great anyway, i went with a male friend who's gay and i wore a handmade tuxedo dress :slight_smile:

18. Level75

I went to my Junior prom dateless. Thought, hey, no date, but at least it'll be a good opportunity to chill with friends. Said friends went and hung out with their dates naturally. So I had no fun during my Junior prom. Therefore, I saw no reason to go my Senior prom. Would've just been another expensive disappointment.

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I was actually lucky enough to go with my boyfriend to my prom. The school's official policy actually forbids same-sex couples, but my teachers completely ignored it and let us have our fun. We have 4 gay couples in total!! It was fun because it was a new experience and my first dance with a guy, but, being the introvert that I am, I got over the whole dance thing after 40 mins of being around so many people xDD Prom is so overrated haha

20. TraceElement

Sophomore year I went to another schools senior prom. Junior year I went to my prom. Senior year I had enough "formals" where I wore dresses so didn't go.