1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your high school prom. did you go?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by needshelp, Mar 1, 2012.

1. steel03

NOPE! And I don't regret that at all! I had a lot more fun with my actual friends on our senior drama dept trip to Cedar Point.

2. Elven

Yep I went to my year 11, last year of high/secondary school one and I'll have another either this year or the next, I forget. I went with a girl who is a good friend last time and had quite a lot of fun, we only went with each other as a formality it didn't really mean anything other than friendship between us. Next time however I am hoping to maybe go with a guy =] but if I don't it doesn't matter, I'll still have fun.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I had had a "girlfriend" in high school (we held hands in the hallways), but she had graduated and I hated the idea of going by myself. A bunch of my friends didn't go either - we had a party at one of their houses instead. :slight_smile:

4. FJ Cruiser

I went to mine both years (ours was a junior/senior combined prom) just because that's what you do in high school I guess. I went with a group of friends my junior year. It was okay, but pretty lame for the most part since I generally hate dancing. It was incredibly fun staying up most of the night playing board games and hanging out at the park though.

My senior year I went with a girl that I think of as a friend, but there was a tad bit of chemistry there. At that time I was really struggling with orientation issues, and I think going with her was basically my last vestige of straightness. The fact that I was so uncomfortable with even making body contact with her and treating her as a date beyond formality I think helped me realize girls just weren't for me. Still, I had fun on the dance floor for the first time ever, and according to what people told me, I was one of the best white guy dancers there lol. I hung out with her and her friends for a little afterward, but since I wasn't friends with them and they were mostly juniors, it wasn't all that fun. Still, I'm glad I experienced both ways to do prom.

#24 FJ Cruiser, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I didn't go. I'd gone to two previous high school dances and was bored out of my brains. I really don't like social gatherings.

Besides, I had way too much homework my senior year. What little free time I had was reserved for video games. :icon_bigg

6. Zach

No, I didn't go to my high school prom. The only girl I dated in high school moved away during our sophmore year. (she was actually the "girl next door" ...we were neighbors) .

I'm a lot older than most of our younger members here, and the weirdest thing happened to me a few months ago..... The house next door to me got sold. (ok, the house next door getting sold isn't so weird) .... BUT, the new (wayyyy younger) gal next door ... is the neice of the girl I lived next door to when I was in High school :lol:

Damn,... now I feel old, but I'm happy with where I am in my life now. (!)(!)

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had no interest in going so I didn't go. I think it's less of a big deal in England though

8. I went in high school. It was a good time.

But now I just help organize and plan (and obviously attend!) the annual Pride Prom at the university I go to, which is a blast. We invite high school students who want a cheap night out or who don't feel welcome at their prom. Gender-bending and bringing whoever you want for your date is totally acceptable and it winds up being a lot more fun than regular prom was, at least in my opinion.

9. Paper Heart

I went to both and both times I lamented being feeling left out because of how single I was. But I put on a good face, and had a great time with my friends. It's really easy to have fun with other single friends or with couples. Yeah, sometimes they may slow dance together, but I'm cool with hanging out by myself. Of course it would have been better with an actual date, but that wasn't in the fortunes for my proms.

10. EmmettBlack

I didn't go to my year 12 end of year formal, my girlfriend at the time and I got "outed" by one horrible girl who spread gossip around our campus like wildfire. Felt more comfortable staying home and having our own get together with friends :slight_smile:

I also got detention for asking if I could be my gf's partner at the Debutante Ball
    (Catholic School, go figure) - I went and watched her "Make her debut into society" with one of the football jocks who bashed a schoolmate the year before for "Acting like a queer"

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Went to prom in Gr. 12 with a really good girl friend, after my bf broke up with me in October (prom was eight months later) so that sucked but I mean I did have a good time. In Gr. 13 (well okay "Victory Lap" since Canada got rid of Gr. 13 back on '00) I went again with a group of friends, interestingly enough two guys decided to dance with me though both were straight, I think they just knew I felt lonely cause their dates were with them while I had no date at all. So that was nice, but I've still yet to be able to slow dance with someone I love....

12. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No :/ still wish I could have.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nope. no one would go with me

14. Mimerio

I didn't go, I don't really like those sort of events to be honest, I prefer nice quietness lol

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did not go to prom. I was asked by a good friend and I was kinda pissed that she put me in that position where I had to say no, since I had no interest. I felt bad for her since I know she had to work up the courage to ask. I don't like to dance and it seemed like a huge waste of money. My parents heard that she asked me and tried to persuade me into going, but I had none of it.

Looking back now, I remember feeling jealous of one of the guys I had a crush on since he went with his gf and I could only imagine how hot he certainly looked in his tux. I wish I knew I was gay then, not that it would have mattered in terms of prom, but just to know and hopefully accept it once I went to college and not be stuck where I am now.

During college, I knew a really sweet girl who I think wanted to ask me to her prom. We worked together and in the spring she asked me if I went to my prom and right away red flags went up. I was thinking, oh shit, she wants to ask me to her prom! So I told her I did NOT go to prom, I didn't like dancing, and never had any interest in going. She never asked me to go to hers, thankfully. We worked together for a few more years and I always felt this tension of her trying to get closer, me avoiding, and then her retreating again. I think of her once in a while and I really hope she's happy.

16. PicketFences

I went to both my year 12 and 13 ball and then to the one held by my university hall and had a great time. I love getting all dressed and having my hair and makeup professionally done.

I just brought my own ticket for the year 12 and university ball and then danced with lots of different people. In year 13 I went with a female friend, she was straight but there are quite a few people who do that as our school was small and had more females than males, so those of us that didn't have an outside date would just buy a double ticket and dance with a friend.

And I know people that invited people of the same sex from outside the school, just so that their friend could come to the ball, noone bated an eyelid if you invited someone of the same sex. It's really good, and a little surprising in a good way since it was a small rural school.

I'm hoping to go to another university ball with a friend this year. Another chance to wear my dress, which I love! YAY! :eusa_danc

#36 PicketFences, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  17. Emberstone

yup, and the girl I went with (a life long friend), may be a lesbian, so it equalized in the end.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only went to after prom. I don't really like dances..

19. TheAMan

I went last year by myself as a junior but I definitely want to take someone with me this year. I refuse to go by myself as a senior.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went back in 1988. :slight_smile: I was not just closeted but clueless, and a female friend of mine was dating an older guy who found the prom to be "juvenile". So I suggested we go together, and we did. We went to a restaurant that I know live down the street from (and yes, it's still open), and then to the dance itself. We had one of those exceptionally rare proms with a really good band, and we had a really good time. Afterwards, we changed into standard T-shirt-and-jeans, and went to the afterparty at our school. That went pretty well, but we sort of drifted apart from each other - she wandered off to talk to her friends, so I hung out with mine, and she found that offensive, somehow. Anyway, we made up and I drove her home. It was actually a nice night all around.

I've since run into her online, and chatted with her a bit. She's a single mother with two kids, middle management, and a born-again Christian. She was surprised but not shocked at my coming out, and she's decently happy for me. :slight_smile:

Lex