Fighting Style?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PistolWhip, Feb 24, 2012.

1. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Time to confuse with cryptic Irish slang "Da craic with that bant is ninety hey, the tekkers on him -- our fella's wallops are going steady."

Transalation:

"That is very interesting, Your combat technique is impressive."

2. Bibliophile

Pistol I never meant to imply that one was "better". I only meant that some are more practical for those that dont have the time to master a system to be proficient. Boxing will indeed handle most self defense situations however I have a small frame and short arms so its easier for me to use a total body system as it allows me to use all of my bodies weapons rather then just my fists.

Goju Ryu is based off of Shotokan. I have trained with a few people that took it and I will say I HATE your blocks. GoJu is designed to redirect rather then slam the attacking limb as Shoto does. I will say a properly done Shoto middle block feels like your freaking punching my arm rather then blocking it.

3. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You seem to be the regular expert on unarmed self defence, I've always been a huge bastard with a long reach and thats worth its weight in gold when you're boxing

4. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL I agree that the blocks are quite annoying. Like you said, when you're blocking it feels like your attacker is punching your arm. But it's better than getting hit in the stomach/chest/head/wherever else, right?

EDIT: I understand what you mean now. But still :$

#24 Maxis, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In boxing if your opponent gets an excellent block perfectly timed, it will hurt you. And not to mention there is always the recovery to recompose, you're completely open to being punched in the face. Which is annoying to say the least.

6. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like every form of martial arts has some sort of flaw, eh? D:

7. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    [/QUOTE]

Sounds like every form of martial arts has some sort of flaw, eh? D:[/QUOTE]

I think its actually they have all perfected the block for each of the styles, If throwing a punch against somebody hurts you more than them I say your fucked

8. Bibliophile

LOL Pistol I am not an expert I just know a lot more then most and have taken self defense be it armed or unarmed seriously since I was a kid. I like to know as much as I can as it allows me to blend a style that works best for me and my body type. That being said I would hate to spar you as if I couldnt close the gap fast I would be done and if I took a solid hit rather then redirect I again might be done. For a guy like you the tactic for me is always get in do as much damage as I can before you can back off then dance around letting you waste energy, wash rinse, repeat and pray I dont screw the timing.

Crystal I see you got what I meant. I just hate getting blocked by someone that knows Shoto because it leaves my arm numb for a moment every dang time. Only issue I ever had was you system tends to be too rigid for my taste when it comes to how it flows but man does it pack a punch when you connect.

9. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The one thing my trainer Buddha always said I had going for me was a very fast right, If I were to spar against the likes of you, I'd handle it as Double Jab Right cross. Nothing more annoying when a short range machine gun gets in close and peppers your ribs

10. Bibliophile

Only issue with that is I also use knees elbows and feet when sparing. Though I am sure the jabs I could take the right cross depending on your size and how much I have already taken will likely take me down or off my feet. It was always my favorite part of sparing to go against bigger and more skilled opponents as that is a true test of my skill and tactics. Though I do have a few memories of the lumps and bruises that came with that. Even got my nose broken once because I foolishly dropped my hands about an inch when throwing a kick, jab, cross combo. Never made that mistake again.

11. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I made the stupid mistake of agreeing to spar with the young McGingley they are a notorious family in Dundalk for being bare knuckle boxers, I fought him same weight as me, he checked the shit out of me. Fought his brother twice my weight twice my size 5 years older than me and one of the best bare knuckle boxers in my town. Probably the longest three minutes of my life, certainly the most terrifying but you learn from it.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk Fu, confuse your opponent with riddles and fortune cookie wisdom.

And Joey...you never fail to make me laugh

13. Bibliophile

Sounds like a fun match. I always loved a crossing of hands where I wasnt sure if I was going to get pounded or not. Though I will say worst hit I ever took was from a guy that stood six foot six and weighed 250 lbs. He was bothering a female friend of mine and I got involved. We both got heated as we had a few pints in us. Well he didnt know I knew martial arts and I didnt know he was a local golden gloves. So it was not pretty and we both came out sore. But we shared another few pints after so it was all ok in the end. But man the first hook I took nearly made me see double and as if I wasnt already doing that:roflmao:. BTW might I as if you are of the Up the Ire down the Brit sort or are you ok with the local Brits in Northern Ireland? I only ask as I dated a girl from Dublin for a bit and she shared no love for the British.

14. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm just south of the border, my dad comes from the town that infamously had a crack shot sniper, there was a sign erected in his town by the IRA that said "Sniper at Work." A copy of that sign is in nearly every pub in town. There is a bitter resentment for the Brits down here, a lot of the former IRA men live here

http://www.victims.org.uk/images/sniper.jpg

see the directions the town named Dundalk is where I live and it's also the home of the very same sniper.

15. Bibliophile

Aaah I see. Can I ask how the firearm laws are for your country? What about self defense or less then lethal weapons? Oh and I love the Irish accent I find it funny to ask you guys to say three. But seriously you guys have the BEST beer outside of Germany and by far the best Whiskey. Even though I try to stay away from the later of the two as it makes me ornery and want to fight tall people which is dang near everyone to me as I am only 5'2" thus nearly the size of your wee folk lol.

16. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We're allowed fuck all in the ways of weaponry out here, no shotgun is allowed to chamber more than 3 shells there are no pistols or automatic weaponry of any kind, the highest calibre of rifle you can get is 7mm and you need a special license for that for reindeer hunting. Though there are still plenty of guns in country we have top notch smugglers. As for non lethal weaponry you can't really find it in shops but any wheeler dealer down at a black market could sort you out with a pair of knuckle dusters or pepper spray, no tazers of the like

17. Bibliophile

Well I suppose its better then no guns at all..... still sucks though. Is pepper spray legal for you? What about you knife or baton laws? Oh and how is self defense handled for you? Do you have things like the US Castle laws in some states which allow you to use deadly force if someone threatens you in your home with no duty to retreat? What about self defense of the street? I mean I have head a few horror storys about the Chavs (spelling?) in Dublin which is why I ask.

18. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not legal to carry pepper spray, not legal to carry a knife either batons I'm not so sure about. Weird thing was right up until like 2 years ago if someone broke into your house you werent legally allowed to use force on them. Infact a farmer shot a burglar with a .22 and the farmer did 18months and had to pay for the thief's medical bills. In the street you'll get all sorts, hurleys knives,chains even biro pens which in the right hands are lethal.
    There are alot of stories about those north side dubs a lot of them are true. It seems every day they are getting more and more guns, the drug barons have expanded into the weapons market a long time ago. In Dublin you either get in a 10v1 fist fight a 2v1 knife fight or shot.
    Fuck all north side dubs who fight fair anymore, unlike up here. We're getting bad but we still have some sense of fairness. Your best defence is a gang of friends and some boot and tooth experience

19. Bibliophile

Man that is terrible. It seems like where you live the criminal has more rights then the law abiding man or women. I wish there was a way I could aide that but it seems like most of the EU is totally against the idea that a person has the right to self defense and the tools needed to assist that. What are huleys knives or biro pens if I might ask? I have never heard those terms.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pepper spray isn't legal in public? Seriously? I mean, I could see how one could make an argument against the right to bear arms or carry knives (particularly if it is an emotionalized argument) - but pepper spray? How on earth do you rationalize that?! lol.

On a more thread-related note, I didn't think I would ever see LGBT-identifying people discussing in-depth (well for me it looks in-depth) fighting style techniques. Yay for the destruction of stereotypes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: