1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the place where you live gay friendly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I guess people say that my hometown is a little conservative place, but I've never been terribly bullied growing up.

My college campus is very much gay friendly, though.

2. Fisnou

Sydney is pretty gay-friendly, especially the Inner West where I happen to live :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    There's a lesbian couple living next door to me!
    We have the famous Mardi Gras every year which I've never been to... I'm not proud enough to attend it yet!

3. OhCrap

OhCrap Guest

I have no idea how to answer this question. The mayor of our city is rumoured to be gay, and there is a massive pride parade every year, plus a smaller one just for lesbian and bisexual women, but God help you if you're out in public kissing or holding hands with someone of the same sex/gender, especially on public transit, after 8 pm, or in my neighboorhood which is half wannabe gangsters and half white trash.

4. PlutonianShore

Definitely not.

Despite our liberal Constitution declaring marriage equality, our president still attends gay-bashing talks with President Mugabe of neighbouring Zimbabwe.

The same could be said for the general attitude towards homosexuality here in South Africa. The Afrikaner population (the ethnic group to which I belong) mostly take a Bible bashing approach that would do the Westboro Baptist Church proud (which is quite ironic since we're direct descendants of the Dutch) while the black population dismiss it as being un-African and a foreign threat to their culture. The Anglo-South Africans, though, are considerably more liberal. Also the attitudes differ by region, from extremely liberal on the coast (Cape Town, for instance, is the South African Sodom...which is why I love it) and getting more conservative as you go inland.

However, I must admit I do sense a bit of an attitude change amongst the newer generation of South Africans, specifically amongst the groups that are initially hostile. One of my friends is the son of a local pastor, and he told me of how he didn't have a problem with homosexuality. He's also a HUGE metalhead. Paradox anyone....? ? ?

But yeah, Bloemfontein is located WAAAAAYYY inland, meaning a more ferocious concentration of suspicious Afrikaners and gay-bashing. So guess who's not going to officially come out until he attends varsity in New York...

5. Enaithor

Mine isn't like, death to all the gays, but I wouldn't say it's particularly gay friendly. Probably because it's generally a bit of a hole.

6. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

they're still trying to get over interracial couples down here in the pseudo south where im at.

seeing same sex couples in public would call for a lynching followed by a lovely pot luck supper.

god bless america

7. stephaniko

I just recently moved from a place that was moderately excepting to a city were everything is hush hush and no one talks about things like sexuality. It is very hard to live in such an oppressive environment.

8. RaRa

Haha I wouldn't say LA is up to San Fran standards....but it's pretty close. No problems here. We just like to party and have a good time. :grin:

9. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tucson Arizona is very gay friendly, the second city in the US after Minneapolis to have same sex equal rights for city employees back in the 1970's, most companies have the same policies in place, we have our share of hate crimes, those happen everywhere though.

Even though Arizona is a red state, Tucson has always been very, very blue :thumbsup:

I'm proud to call it my home now!

10. scooby

Check my "Location" section. 'Nuff said.

11. MK5golf

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    montreal is super friendly, but nowhere is perfect. There are always bigots and sh*t heads everywhere, you jsut have to avoid those people and surround yourselves by people who dont care, or are at the very least, indifferent. When I go to the corner store to buy beer, wearing lip gloss, mascara, hair presented in a feminine manner, and tight jeans and a girls shirt, i get mostly smiles. I have noticed that women tend to smile more, and men (older ones especially) just avoid eye contact outright. Ive been given more crap for speaking english over here than expressing myself lol

12. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well.. considering I live in the bible belt of Norway I would say no. The bitch suing the state because of the new gay marriage law is also from my city.. yep, I'm so proud! We have sooo many churches here (conservative churches.. none liberal) that I can't even count them all. It doesn't help that we have ONE gay bar in this entire city, and that the gay community here is tiny, we don't really have a "gay scene" at all.

So in other words: a definite NO!

13. Hexagon

I don't know. I don't know any gay people here.

14. sanguine

OMG i live in the western regions also AND im attending my first mardi gras this year :grin: im soooooooooo excited, got some friends going with me and everything, although the area im living is pretty much tolerant but not completely clean of the homophobia and the uneducated stereotypes that follow

15. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

Portland is gay friendly. The mayor of Portland is gay, and (Silverton) a town close by has a crossdressing mayor. There have been a few incidents in the past year, but it is still relatively safe. The town I live in is quite small. People are quite conservative here, but your not really going to get harassed or anything.

16. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh god no. Most of the youth in my town generally don't care about gays, excluding the homophobes, but the adults generally would hate me if they knew...

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. The city nearby is pretty gay-friendly but I hardly ever go there. I stay closer to my house and it's not LGBT friendly. A kid was beaten at my old high school and had to go to the hospital last year.

18. uh, as for my particular city, not really so gay friendly. It's a very conservative area, even though we're smack dab in between the two largest, most socially liberal cities in the state. I'm pretty sure they are anyway.

It's not like I'd get my ass kicked for holding a girls hand or kissing her, but the people in my city tend toward the political views and religious views that coincide with not being so keen on the LGBT community.

HOWEVER, I do live within an hour of both of the most gay friendly places in my state. And that's definitely nice.

19. Fisnou

Good on you! :eusa_clap I wish I was as brave as you. May be I need to find a group of friends (preferably gay) to go with... Have fun!

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well my state is trying to pass an amendment to ban same-sex marriage so it definitely isn't that gay friendly. The vote was 70 something to 20 something.