1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate Rant! (#1 place to go to rage about your hellish roommates)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pigme1788, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

Alright so I searched and couldn't find any threads with this specific topic but I have noticed a few individual posts (especially in the "What are you thinking" thread) about roommate loathing. Myself included.

And so I've made this thread. For all of us who just can't seem to get it through our roommates thick skulls that they are more than a little bit irritating in more ways than one. We can come here and rant openly to get it all out, so as to avoid having to punch our roommates in the face. :grin:

I have SOOO many problems with my roommates, but the main complaint at the moment is their utter lack of cleanliness or general cleaning know how. NONE of them clean up after themselves. The entire house is always disgusting. Not just messy and cluttery, but plain ol' dirty. They spill food and don't clean it up pretty much every time they cook. And then they all say they didn't do it and blame it on each other. :bang:

And when they do, "clean," - I put it in brackets because it's not really cleaning - it's still so gross. Their idea of cleaning is a quick wipe with a damp cloth. I don't understand how they don't see how disgusting it is. It's gotten to the point that I don't even cook anymore because I cannot cook in a kitchen that is that filthy. And I just can't keep up with keeping it clean. I'm one person and they are five. Seriously, I take what are supposed to be clean dishes out of the cupboard and there is caked on food on them. Vomit worthy really. Everytime it happens, I'm completely turned off of eating so I don't even need the plate anymore.

Really, in the end, it is just pure laziness on their parts. And laziness is one of my biggest pet peaves. I hate it. :tantrum:

Well that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more stories soon enough. Anyone else have any good, "bad roommate" stories to share?

2. Gallatin

I love one of my roommates (I'm out to him). He's like my best friend at my university. I wish I could say the same about the other. He's a lazy slob who's so self-obsessed that he can't see how his actions affect anyone but himself. He thinks he knows everything and insists upon demonstrating his supposed superior intellect (ironically, he's usually wrong) to everyone around.

This past weekend he was gone. I haven't had such an enjoyable weekend in a long, long time.

#2 Gallatin, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    Well I told one roomate, out of three (my brother), that I like the boys and now he is saying it isn't fair to the two other guys living with us to not know about me. He's "given" me till the end of the month or he is outing me himself. O and did I mention same rules apply to my extremely religious mother and insanely macho father? Yeah and it gets better, he is my twin. So he's using the "identical DNA" argument saying it has to be a choice. So yeah that's my roomate problem.

4. When the other guys shave, they leave their hair around the bathroom sink like mofos. I refused to clean up after them after a while and instead leave sticky notes pointing out the hair (also applies to pubic hair on the toilet) and their name. There are only two of them, so I can usually figure out who used the bathroom last.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2012 at 10:23 PM ----------

Oh gosh, that's a butt. I can understand why he might feel that way, but environment and nurture could play some role in expression.

5. scooby

Uh, you don't have identical DNA. Tell your brother (fearing for his own sexuality, how full of yourself can one person be?) that he needs to grab a science book that's not 20 years old.

He's also apparently thinking that the other two roommates need to "protect" themselves from your ferocious gay-itis. Grr, I really want to smack your brother. Try punching yourself in the face - he'll feel it, right, because twins have exactly the same emotions? If I come over and stomp him in the nads, does that mean you have to go the hospital too?

/rage

6. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    I just don't see what he gains by telling other people. It makes me crazy that he is doing this to me. And now that he told my two sisters they agree with him. They say I shouldn't be hiding it, if this is how I am I need to tell everyone apparently and live with the repercussions. So much for family support.

7. Skyfire13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First off I just want to say that cleanliness is a rather subjective term.

I've lived in a variety of places during my studies -- dorms, hostels, couches, sharehouses, solo living -- and I consider myself to be a fairly clean guy. Yeah I shower, shave, and brush everyday. I do the dishes before they pile up and there has rarely been an occasion where food has spoiled on my watch. That being said I am a bit of slouch for cleaning at times--there are times where I just throw my clothes on the floor of my own room, sometimes where I forget to wash a dish or two (but always seem to find them right afterwards-so frustrating), and I don't consider it necessary to coat the bathroom with cleaning stuff every other week. I've with roommates almost peeing on me while I am sleeping, blowing up the rice cooker, breaking table chairs, passing out naked in their own piss in the living room, and a few other stories - and I still got along great with them. For the most part I thought I could get along with most people.

Well, last semester I had a roommate that shook my confidence in all that. Before we begin I think he had/has aspergers with a touch of ADHD. Just saying.
    He was a german exchange student doing research in something chemistry related. We had made up a roster for cleaning duties--with the essentials being the bathroom cleaned every other week, do your own dishes, and clean up after yourself generally. I thought this was agreeable--until he started complaining about how I cleaned.

He didn't like the way that I had done the dishes--so he did them again and passive-aggressively wrote post-it notes to that effect about it.
    When I started to hide my own dishes in my room so he couldn't blame me for the state of the dishes he then started blaming me for not doing the dishes in general (his dishes in effect).
    He didn't like the way that I cleaned the bathroom -- so I got post-it notes to that effect. too.
    When I didn't clean up after a party that he had hosted for his friends--post it notes to that effect.
    When I didn't clean the bathroom on my rostered week because I was out of town for the entire month -- post it notes all over the place when I got back.
    When I folded his clothes because I wanted to use the drying rack - post it notes too.

On top of all that the guy went through a roll of toilet paper every single day (what the hell was he using it for)(and wanted us to 'share' the cost for the toilet paper), never left his room while I was in the apartment, and spoke only when he felt like yelling at me for the entire semester.

Yeah it was that bad. So I always try to cut other people a bit of slack and learn to live with a bit of mess--it is better for everyones health that way anyway.

8. Emberstone

when he takes a dump, he just leaves it there!!! my god, learn how to use a toilet and flush!!!

he is such a slob when he eats. i swear, 1/3rd of the food ends up outside the bowl, instead of in his mouth.

Also, when I am at class, I am fairly sure he farts on my pillows!!!

if he knocks something off the shelf, he doens't put it back where it belongs!!!

and a few days ago, he crawled in bed with me, and had a nightmare, and scratched me up real bad.

I am glad I had him fixed! it saves the world the horrific prospect of more of him running around.

9. Alexandria

Ya know, when I tell people I live full time in an RV trailer, they look at me like I stepped off of planet Venus. They cannot fathom why i would live in a small (24' long) trailer, by myself.

Well, The above stories are just partly why, but here is mine.

Almost a decade ago, I moved, with my then gf, to a small city in southern alberta, where I had arranged a place to live. It was a lot less than advertised - the building was a barn that was converted into what was laughingly called a house. the downstairs was the landlord and landlady; both of whom did and sold pot - by the pound. Yes, you read me right. The upstairs was a common living room, kitchen, bathroom, and FOUR bedrooms, each housing one or two people (i got the smallest of the four as that was all i could afford). I spent 6 months dealing with the daily (i worked nights) drama there, as EVERYONE there partied hard, toked harder, and generally wrecked the place on a nightly basis. The RCMP were constantly monitoring the place; only leaving me alone after meeting me once and seeing my Yukon drivers license and plate on my van.

One such example was a wednesday night/thurs morning. I got home at my usual 2 am, and by 3 I was in bed - despite the party raging on in the living room. I dont clearly recall, but according to the now ex, not quite an hour later, a drunk stoned party goer kicked the bedroom door in (supposedly looking for the bathroom), and before the door had bounced off the wall, I had gone from a dead sleep to standing nose to nose with the drunkard forcing him out without even touching him. Many, many, MANY nights were spent with the window wide open, desperately trying to get fresh air in as the entire building reeked of pot. I was NOT sorry to leave that place.

In the 12 plus years I have lived on my own (rather away from my parents), I have lived in a room of a shared suite, rented an appartment, rented a house, and a few things in between where somehow I was sharing. When I first moved out from home, I lived inside a smaller old Dodge van for several months, and loved it. The past five years now I have owned my own RV trailer and rented the land it was parked on - and I LOVE it.

Should I get neighbors I dont like? To Hades with em; I hook on my car or truck (either can tow my trailer) and I MOVE. The trailer, and everything IN it, is *MINE*; and i dont owe ANY money on ANY of it. Is it a mess? Yea usually; I am something of a pack-creature I freely admit; and more so when its winter. As things stand, I am parked on a family friend's property, with plans to move to a park opening in the spring - where I will likely stay for a couple years till I can afford a piece of land to build my own place.

Never Again will I do the shared space; unless I am either sleeping with them or they are my offspring or direct family.

10. I get it :icon_bigg

11. steel03

OH MY GOD
    I like my roommates. Really.
    but

OH MY GOD

DUDE
    IT IS NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT IS ON MY COMPUTER SCREEN
    GTFO DUDE

GTFO

12. Eric

My roommate takes about 3-4 days to do dishes. Like, he literally leaves his dishes soaking in water for 3-4 days, periodically stopping to wipe down a plate or something. He also doesn't really care much about taking out garbage and recycling. Oh, he also uses his stereo system when listening to music rather than headphones, which in my opinion is a bit inconsiderate, but it's not really a problem as long as I can sleep at night. I might just be the kind of person who can't really live with other people, though. xD

13. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

Yeah, I'm definitely the kind of person who can't live with people. Growing up it was always just me and my Mum in a decent sized house, so I always had more than enough of my own space. And plus my Mum and I are pretty much the exact same person so we get along splendidly. But anyone else, I cannot stand for long periods of time. And if I didn't go to school in Toronto where cost of living is ridiculous, I would live on my own for sure.

At least your roommate leaves dishes soaking. Mine leave them unrinsed for days, as the pile climbs higher and higher in the sink and then when you go to do them, you need a chisel to get the caked on food off.

And the garbage and recycling problem, I hear ya. We have a box for recycling in our kitchen and the box is always full and overflowing on to the floor because no one will take the two and half steps to take it out.

And the stereo thing is a littler rude, but like you said, as long as you can sleep at night, it's not so bad. I don't have that issue, but I am kind of an old fart sometimes (even though I'm only 24) and sometimes I like to go to bed before 4 am, whereas my roommates don't. And by gosh, the amount of times I've been woken up by earpiercing, obnoxious, girly squeals. Reeally, not a fan. :dry:

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2012 at 09:33 AM ----------

Your family seem like real charmers. Hopefully they'll become a little more accepting over time. Perhaps the news is just too fresh, and they don't know how to react at the moment, so they are choosing the ridiculous ultimatums route.

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2012 at 09:34 AM ----------

LMAO, I chuckled at this. :lol:

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first roommate was terrible. She refused to talk to me when I came out to her. So for two weeks it was really awkward in my room. My new roommate is awesome. She is totally ok with my sexuality. My only problem with her is that she talks to her boyfriend REALLY loud on the phone. It gets old real quick. I usually just go in the longue when she is talking on the phone now.

15. BudderMC

My only complaint? 4am Skype calls that I can (almost) make out through my walls. I'm sure I could hear all the conversation if I was more than half-awake and standing closer (my bed is on the other end of the room).

Oh, and when his girlfriend comes to visit. They're loud. I was told that half of those times were 'massages', though I'm not inclined to believe it, and don't really want to think more about it to be honest. :x

16. lostinthought9

OMG, amazing idea for a thread!

I think I'm also one of those people that can't live with anyone else. xD

I've always had some type of issue with a housemate in the past 3 years of my college life. Most of it pertains to dishes/kitchen and bathroom cleanliness. I just can't understand why they don't clean up after themselves. It's not hard. >_>

17. Bolin

This entire thread is the sole reason as to why I'll never live on a college campus or be roommates with someone else (besides a potential romantic partner). After living with 3 women who perpetually seem to be PMS-ing and annoy me to no end, I've grown quite tired of living with people. :lol:

Plus...I'm not really a people person. XD

18. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

Haha glad you like it!

And agreed, it really isn't hard. I've found though, that most of the roommates I've had who have this issue, either come from legit hoarder houses, so they don't know the difference. Or they come from houses where their parents do absolutely EVERYTHING for them and so when they move out on their own, they don't understand why when they leave dishes in the sink they don't magically get washed and put away like they do at their parents house.

19. Rooni321

Lol I loved all my room mates.

But they did have odd sleeping habits such as farting and making sexual noises in their sleep. Not their fault though :lol:

#19 Rooni321, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  20. Gallatin

Please tell my roommates this. Today, I had to clean up what seemed like a week's worth of dishes that they had piled up in and around the sink. :tantrum: