If there were a straight pill

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoogieHowser, Feb 3, 2012.

?

Would you take a straight pill?

1. Yes, I want to be straight

116 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, I like being LGBT

255 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Meropspusillus

I wouldn't. My sexuality is part of who I am; it's part of how I relate to some of my friends and to myself. I don't think there's anything inherently special about being gay, or whatever, it's just me. I couldn't imagine myself heterosexual, straight Kellen isn't Kellen.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d flush that pill down the crapper without even giving it a second thought.
    Being gay has its challenges, and I call them challenges because the issues of gays CAN be overcome. I went through the same stuff most of us have. I hated being gay at first, I worried about how to tell my parents and how my friends would view me; but, dealing with those issues only made me stronger and more confident. Being gay has also brought a lot of joy into my life. I’ve met some really awesome people, learned my true friends were, and gain the confidence of self acceptance, sure it’s hard, it’s supposed to be, why else do think most of the populace of the world are conformists, people are terrified of being judged.
    Also, changing a part of who you are isn’t going make all your problems magically vanish. Being gay ISN’T who you are it’s just a part of who you are.
    The attitude of being “normal” has been so distorted through the years that it’s just a cliché phrase to try and sum up people’s dislike a group.
    You are who you. You can either take the steps to explore that or, curl up in a ball wishing it all away. Just be able to live the choices you make.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :newcolor:

3. dreamcatcher

At this point in my life, I would definitely take it.

4. Hot Pink

Depends on what your definition of straight is for trans people. If this pill would make me a biological female, but it would make me like guys as a side effect, I would take it. If the pill just made me like guys as I am, I wouldn't.

5. jsmurf

It's a tough call for me, to reiterate. On the one hand I enjoy lusting after cute guys. On the other, it took me this long to become open with myself because I identify more with the straight world, socially-speaking.

6. insidehappy

ok, thought about this, where can i get a case of those pills?

7. Eleanor Rigby

I don't think anyone needs a pill to make gay people straight. The world would benefit a lot more from a cure against intolerance...

8. secretguyX

Definitely, I get judged daily for who I am, being straight would be so much easier. :icon_sad:

9. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

amen!

actually, there is a cure, its called knowledge. someone people should try it

10. DJT

DJT Guest

If it was temporary I might take it just to see what being straight would be like and see if it's different in anyway :grin:

11. djstcktn326

Wow that is very well said. I like how you expressed yourself in this post. Very well put. :slight_smile: I agree that being gay has as much equivalance as being straight.

12. LOTRgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not going to lie, I agree with you...right now, at least. I'm sure in a few years, I'll feel differently- hopefully I'll have the strength and courage that a lot of other people on here have, but right now, I'm still struggling, so pills that could make everything easier would be AWESOME. So, yes, I guess I would; part of me hates myself for admitting that, but the other half is sort of shaking her head but understanding where I'm coming from.

What I do know is that with each day, if someone offered me those pills, it would be easier to say no.
    So we'll see, haha.

13. Marlowe

I would take the pill. Right now in my life there is not much benefit to being gay, and there would not be any loss if I were suddenly straight. This is probably different for people who are in successful relationships, but as Owen points out for those of us who are not, all being gay does is close off many, many different doors. There are many girls I have run across in life that I would have asked out, and yet I know only a small handful of gay guys, none of whom I would ever ask out because we just don't share any interests.

This answer might change in a few years, when I have settle down and I have a lot more to lose. Ultimately there is nothing intrinsic to gain by being gay, and only circumstantial things to lose.

14. Mimerio

I wouldn't take it, just like if there was a cure for Asperger Syndrome, which I have, I wouldn't take that either, I wouldn't be me.

15. BudderMC

It's an iffy one. For me, I think it's definitely a case of 'the grass is greener on the other side'.

It's not like straight people don't have their fair share of people who won't give them the time of day. The way I see it, they have 10x the number of people who won't consider you 'dating material' because they can afford to be that 'choosy'.

I think I also see it as a case of not 'what sexuality would you choose' but rather 'would you undo being gay', which has different ramifications. Think about it; you 100% wholeheartedly decide to be straight, for very legitimate reasons. Do you still go supporting gay rights? It also doesn't add any backing to the 'being gay is not a disease/something terrible', given the fact we'd escape it at a moment's notice.

Not to mention, I certainly wouldn't want to go through questioning my whole identity all over again; it's not worth the trouble (if that process would be involved). And I definitely wouldn't want to have to go back to all those people I came out to and said 'oh wait, I guess I'm actually straight. By that I mean I didn't want to be gay anymore, so I fixed it'.

I keep inherently comparing this to things like plastic surgery; quick fixes for the things in life we don't like, but (typically) don't affect our day to day lives that much.

I suppose I somewhat took the side of not taking it. But throwback to my second point: I wouldn't have any problem with being straight, but I have no reason to change my sexuality in the first place.

16. Kcaz12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i knoi wouldnt i like who i am i mean besides being emo i like being gay even if i took the pill i would still be gay

17. redstormrising

no. i wouldn't take that pill any more than i would take a pill that would make me white, or male, or a member of any of the other majority groups that i currently do not belong to. i am who i am, and that's fine with me.

18. castle walls

I kind of agree with Owen.

My sexuality is a part of me but I consider it a very small part of who I am. I'd still be me. I'd just only have an interest in males. If I wasn't with my gf, I would definitely take the pill. I'd have less discrimination to deal with.

So would I take it now? No. I love my gf and I've been with her for years.

19. sanguine

YES, i dont like the fact that this pill will also prove that being gay is somewhat of a disease that can be cured or being gay is a choice

being gay is a small part of someones identity, sure, but changing that doesnt make you any better than you were before, so what if people are going to accept you, then you will realise there is something else wrong in your life and you would further look into finding a "quick fix" to that also.

in a spiritual sense we attract what we want in this life, if you feel miserable and dont think its ever going to change, then that's what you get, being too passive about wanting to be happy also leads you down the wrong path, you need to be assertive and confident about yourself. Even if the concept of attraction is false, it wouldnt hurt any LGBT people to stop thinking that its soooo bad to be different/in the minority.

20. Thatsit

Although it would be much easier today, I wouldn't take it because I believe it makes you experience the mindset of being part of a group that a lot of people don't like even though you don't have control over it. I believe this experience allowed me to become more open to the differences in other people and also have a better sense of morality.