1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cant be gay because Im catholic

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jimL

I was raised a Catholic. Yes, I heard all the go to hell stuff about us lowlifes. That and societal pressures stopped me from coming out until last June. When I came out to my parents, my mom decided to go back to church....she hadn't been for many years. The interesting thing is that when she talked to the priest, about me, he told her that god loves everyone and the church is slowly changing. That was a week after the pope gave his world speech in which he criticized all the countries for allowing same sex marriage. He said it was destroying family values, or something like that. So, what does this mean? It means that not even his followers believe everything he says. Lot's of Catholic churches appear to be accepting or moving in that direction.

That being said, I will never go to a Catholic church (unless it's a wedding or a funeral). I suffered because of it. I may forgive but I will never forget! I hope your family will come around. And NO you cannot or should you want to change who you are......no matter what anyone says. Good luck!

2. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although im Not religious, I'm a firm believer that if god thought being gay was wrong, he wouldn't make gay people.

3. J Snow

I went to 13 years or Catholic school. That means I was taking Catholic religion classes for 13 years and being preached to about homosexuality as a sin constantly. If anything its given me the confidence to know for sure, the church really doesn't have one valid reason to back up why its really wrong.

SPOILER ALERT: That's because it isn't =P

4. fedora777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was raised catholic and im gay, but i love being catholic at the same time. This doesnt mean that i dont have my disagreements on occasion. But i guess all i really think about is that God loves me so it doesn't really matter what religion I am. The friends that accept me are my true friends whom i cherish like nothing else. God loves you no matter what you do and he wants you to be with him forever.

5. colorful

I am Catholic and I have gone to Catholic school for 13 years. I am not sure what exactly I am, but the way that I have always looked at it is: God wants us to love everyone equally right? So if we are to love everyone equally then what is wrong with actually falling in love with someone of the same sex.... It makes sense in my head. God plans everything out or at least knows what is going to happen so he is obviously OK with it. The church does say that there isn't actually anything wrong with being homosexual, but homosexual acts that are "immoral". This obviously still isn't exactly right for a church that tells us to love our neighbor... According to the Catholic teachings on morality, in order to live a moral life you must do everything through love. In order to love we must be truthful with ourselves and others in addition to letting ourselves and others be free. So basically people trapping us within ourselves because of their opinions, leading us to lie about who God has made us makes them the immoral ones. I mean I could throw around all kinds of terms from my religion classes, but I'm essentially saying that if you are attacked by other Catholics for who you are then they are the ones contradicting their faith. You can most definately be Catholic and gay.

6. Izzybeth13

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my gosh I completely understand! My mom's a verrry devoted catholic. And so am I, I just don't agree with everything they teach. When I hint to my mom that I'm bisexual, she gets mad and says "if youre gay you're sinning. Man and woman were created to be together. Man and man or woman and woman is a disgusting sin!" or something along those lines. I totally disagree with her and we end up fighting
    So if you need any support, Im here wholeheartedly
    P.S. sorry if I wasnt much help, it was just a shock to see soneone in the same circumstances.

7. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am very gay, and also strongly Christian (though not Catholic, admittedly).

It took me a while, but I've accepted the fact that God is love, and hating gays because we're different is not love.

I also took a good hard look at the Bible itself- not the doctrine of the Church- to discover God for myself, and what I found was different.

God is love. It says so continually in the Bible.

God made you gay, and He made me gay. And I'm perfectly happy with the way He made me.

8. Greenly79

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel ya. I teach preschool CCE at my Catholic Church from so far back in the closet that I may never get out. I rationalize it mostly because of the age level - our lessons are things like "God Made You Talk" and "God Made You Special." I never have to broach the hard stuff. There are NO out people at the church.. and if I were out, I wouldn't even put the church in the position of me trying to continue teaching there.
    Like everyone else said, some Catholic churches are more accepting than others -- the extent to which this is true even within a single diocese baffles me.
    But in my experience family members with religious issues with homosexuality tend to come around eventually when they find out their son, etc is gay. Even if it takes years, they eventually do. It's sort of like when they kick out their pregnant teenage daughters, and later on realize that their child/grandchild's lives are going to go on without them and it's THEIR fault that they aren't part of it.
    Usually even the strictest come to the conclusion that it's better to accept the person and have them as part of their lives. It just might take some time for them to come to peace with it (just like it does for us).