1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera or Mirror? The real you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nerdvain, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Fusileer

Fusileer Guest

I only look at a mirror once or twice a day and never let myself be photographed.

2. nerdvain

Me in a nutshell.

3. Metal

I hate photo's, I always look so shitty and pale in them. :frowning2:

4. gioandgulaze

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Does that mean the way we see ourselves in the mirror is the same as others see us in pictures. For others the real image of me is on the pictures, whereas for me the real image of me is in the mirror?

5. unknownjourney

Mirror reverse your image while the camera doesn't....so you look different on camera! and you may think you look ugly / different or even better ... but in reality your mirror image is what others see you too just reversed and they are used that just like us used to the mirror image we see everyday

6. Xochipilli

I have to side with mirror me. Cameras have me looking busted no matter how hard I try. A lot of time goes into getting a profile pic.

7. Lewis

Love the mirror, HATE photographs. I can sometimes look in the mirror and think, hey I don't look that bad, then I see a photograph and want to shoot myself.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    it's pretty crazy. But honestly how can the camera really lie?

l hate most pics of myself. One theory l've heard is that it's the way light reflects off of your face and is captured in pics. But it just makes some part of my face look bigger(nose).

l look hot in the mirror lol. Part of it though is that you're probably always going to have somewhat of a fragamented image in the mirror or focus on one part of your face more than the other parts.

9. FruitFly

Honestly I thinky they're both as accurate as each other. Each shows a snapshot that is influenced by things that are not fixed. Even my perception of how I look is changeable. I can piece together an image from these snapshots so together I should have an idea of how I look.

As it stands I believe the most accurate physical image is formed from looking at a variety of photos as well as mirror moments.

10. Divopix

Wow, this makes a lot of sense. I never thought about it like that.

11. It's definitely both. I think that we nitpick how are features look in photos and make ourselves think there are drastic differences between how we look in photos versus how we look in the mirror. In reality, though, we would look the same both ways to someone who is not ourselves. If you stand with a friend at the mirror, they look the same as they do in person, so why shouldn't you? Also, camera pictures can often be distorted. One thing to note, though, is that if you make a face in the mirror subonsciously that you find attractive, like a pouty face or something or look at yourself at a certain angle, then that isn't accurate, as opposed to a candid look of you that a camera can capture. So that's when things start to get inaccurate. Lastly, I have this really pretty friend who I just find really aesthetically pleasing in person but pictures just don't cut it. Now that I think about it, she looks so much better in person. So even if you don't look that good in pictures, you probably look way better in person.

12. prism

Definitely the mirror. I am a very eccentric person and I can't not make faces when I know someone is taking a picture, so none of them ever come out. Most of my Facebook profile pictures are candid.

@Ridiculous- That is an incredible point. Thank you for posting that. :slight_smile:

13. hello1992

The mirror. Photos are very subjective and usually occurs a lot later in the day where my hair has been ruffled a bit and my skin looks less clear.

14. MichaelB

THISSSS

I find the bad photos fucking hilarious anyway. I love seeing drunken photos of me, and my profile picture on facebook is nearly always something silly and taking the piss out of me.

Seriously, don't stress so much. Beauty is about attitude as much as looks in my opinion. Embrace your comical side and stop worrying about looking good. Worry in itself can be seen and looks unattractive. The people that refuse to be in photos are boring! haha

But to answer your question, my mirror and photos tend to look the same anyway. It's just I don't stand in front of the mirror with English winds and bad cider down me, so the mirror doesn't get to see my drunk or weather worn self.

#34 MichaelB, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm somewhat vain at times and I think I look really cute whenever I look in the mirror, but if somebody dare takes a picture it's like "who released the troll out of the dungeon."

I don't know, man. There's a lot of psychology that comes into play with how we're used to one side of our face and other and all that jazz.

I guess that's why I like mirror or webcam pictures the most because the image is already flipped.

16. Given To Fly

I think I look better in the mirror. I have a theory (maybe bullshit) that it's the animated 3D effect.

17. AngryKat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally look shitty in photos. But really, that's because I'm doing something stupid. Sometimes I take a good photo!

18. Shiny Espeon

I like the me in photos better. I guess I'm just photogenic or something.

19. Zach

Hey Guys (and gals) this post you are replying to is over a year old now. It's from January 2012 (hint - hint ) Please reply to current threads and resist the urge to reply to threads that are older than a year. In most cases the original poster has moved on and doesn't post here anymore. I don't want to come off as a hard ass...... but if you look at the original date of this post ...it was from a year ago.

20. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I definitely hope it's the mirror. I hate when other people take pics of me...I look horrible. Glad I'm not the only one though! Everything you said is exactly what I feel!!