1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transgender tips thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Charni, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This thread is for any trans people who have found any ideas on how to feel more like the gender they really are. I counld't find any threads like this but sorry if there are.

Anyway my tip is for MtF girls. If you are looking for a way to feel feminine a good way to do this, which isn't extremely obvious (like shaving your legs etc.), is to get a bracelet and wear it when nobody is around. You could keep it in one of your clothes drawers under some clothes.

2. ESevee

I haven't really found anything myself but painting your nails and make up were recommend to me.

3. GuardianKitten

For the love of god, BE YOURSELF.
    Following every "passing tip" will make you seem more 'fake', and like you're 'trying too hard' (i hate both of these terms, however i don't have a better way to get point across)

4. ESevee

Don't mock passing, passing is survival

5. Young Anonymous

Yeah, ignore Guardian above ^

What a lot of people don't think about, is handwriting. If you handwriting looks more feminine, you'll be more passing but you will also feel more feminine. There are a lot of helpful handwriting guides shifting about google you can look at. :slight_smile:

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only have feminine tips so sorry =/

Makeup is a good starter, just subtle things like a foundation and some blush both makes you look nice and feel a whole lot better without the worry that anyone will notice you're wearing it.

I like to wear more feminine clothing around the house, things like girly pajamas and jewelry or shoes with fuzzy socks. I don't wear them outside but the bolder people don't seem to have a problem with it.

Grow your hair out and style it however, it's sort of acceptable for guys to have longer hair so it's not that big of a deal. Color it, use conditioner, that kind of thing.

That's really all I have without going into the inappropriate things so good luck ^.^

7. love123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im a boy trapped in a girls body! I wear girl clothes to school all the time! I love to be a girl!

8. ESevee

Socks could be a good way to feel more feminine.

9. Peace

I don't see any here for FtMs, so here's a few an FtM friend of mine told me:

Buy a chest binder. If there aren't any available in your area or you can't buy online because you're too young or don't have a credit card, then buy a pair of control-top pants from TJ Maxx or Walmart or JCPenney's. Cut the legs and the crotch off so you're left with only the control-top part, or cut a hole in the crotch so it looks a bit like a t-shirt. Wear it over your breasts. (Note that this works better if you're a C cup or less.) Also, men's compression shirts can work.

Don't use makeup to give yourself a more angled face or a five o' clock shadow, it'll just look silly and people will ask you if you're in a play.

Cut your hair short in a masculine style. Don't have bangs. Justin Beiber-type hair won't help you pass.

If you're not on hormones, doing strength training will help you to bulk up muscle-wise. You don't have to become a bodybuilder, but being more muscly helps.

When you go swimming, wear swimming shorts and a surfing-shirt or a t-shirt. You can probably wear a binder under these, but my friend wasn't very specific about that.

Don't cross your legs when you sit, and don't wave your hands around while talking. Put on a show of self-confidence.

10. Katelynn

I have this in a seperate thread, but it never hurts to repost helpful info for people!

Transsexuals face many challenges, but perhaps none as frustrating as the battle of the beard. Shaving is fast and easy, but can lead to razor burn and ingrown hairs, not to mention the frustration of seeing a beard shadow after only a few hours.

While there is nothing you can do to stop your beard from growing (aside from painful electrolysis), it is possible for any Transsexual to have a soft, smooth, feminine face.

Here are seven secrets to getting the smoothest, longest lasting shave possible:

1. Avoid shaving first thing in the morning. Most people wake up with slightly puffy skin in the morning. You’ll get a closer shave if you wait 20-30 minutes for the skin to tighten, exposing more of the hair shaft.

2. Prep your skin. Take a shower or wrap a hot, moist towel around your face and neck for several minutes before shaving to soften your beard and open up the hair follicles.

3. Always exfoliate. Use a washcloth or an exfoliating scrub on your face to eliminate dead skin cells and raise hair stubs for a closer shave.

4. Use a regrowth slowing shaving cream. For a long lasting shave, use a shaving cream, such as Aveeno’s Positively Smooth Shave Gel, designed to slow hair regrowth. Avoid shaving creams containing menthol, as they can dry out the skin.

5. Select a great razor. A great shave depends upon a great razor. Most Transsexuals agree that the Gillette Sensor Excel is the ultimate tool for the job.

6. Don’t use a dull blade. Never use the same blade more than two or three times since dull blades can lead to razor burn and ingrown hairs. As a matter of fact, I suggest using a fresh blade every time you go en femme.

7. Do a two step shave. A great pre-femme shave should be done in two steps: first, shave in the direction of hair growth. Then lather again, this time shaving against the grain for an even closer cut. Be sure to use small, gentle strokes to avoid irritation.

Another option for hair removal that is less expensive than electrolysis or laser hair removal (but not really a permanent replacement for either), is to use an epilator. The best on the market is the NoNo, but it is pricey in & of itself. While the above extols the virtues of the Sensor Excel, I myself am using Simply Venus razors at the moment, & Im quite happy with how well they do the job! Im alo using Skintimates shave gel for sensitive skin, which has been so much better for everywhere I shave, like my legs & bikini area, but especially on my face. Like it says above, just check to make sure it doesnt have menthol in it. I also moisturize after shaving, like crazy. For my face, I use Nivea cream, & everywhere else I use St Ives body lotion. Hope this helps for anyone who needs it!

11. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What about scents? As in, deodorant, shampoo, body soap, and such?
    I tend not to be able to smell them once I've left the shower, though.

12. starfish

I keep reading the thread title as "The transgender hips thread". Confuses me every time.

13. GuardianKitten

I'm far from mocking it.
    But pretending to be a big macho douchbag guy when you're NOT is fake and is going to get you outed more easily than letting yourself be *you* and maybe pass a little more feminine/"gay"
    Being a sexist douche just makes you a douche, not pass better.

'fraid I don't have much for the girls, I'm not MtF - sorry ladies.

The keyword in my statement was "every" passing tip. I didn't say they're all bullshit, i said pick and choose.

Please read all the words before bashing.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2012 at 01:04 AM ----------

...For hiding/emphasizing (depending which way youre going) them, that could however be a useful thread....

#13 GuardianKitten, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  14. Alexandria

That would be why I love my corset. :wink:. .....if I could ever figure out how to lace the damn thing up on myself...

15. GuardianKitten

^^ I know this from having a sister who's got a special fashion sense, have someone else do it if you can.. apparently it's a bitch to learn tho easier if you leave laces in (this kind of seems like common sense but sometimes we all have those "... DUH" moments)

16. FleetFish

I would like to pass as a guy, but I LOVE having long hair. TT_TT

Maybe someday I will be confident enough to cut my hair short.

17. GuardianKitten

ok.. One "tip" (that I consider less a tip, and more "allies are helpful")

Hair. I'm not saying "girls have long hair, boys have short hair", my hair's at my shoulders and I pass fine. It's how it's cut.
    find a stylist who understands you want a haircut typical for your target gender.
    There's a million and one subtle differences (mainly layering styles that most people just can't quite pick out) that irritatingly make a huge difference.
    Short hair can be very feminine. Long hair can be masculine. Use pictures :slight_smile:

18. ESevee

Scents are kind of helpful you know and most people won't notice them. At the very least you'll find stuff you like. I know that I tend not like the scents of men's deodorants, body washes, etc.

19. DhammaGamer

I like belts and jewelry and tighter tops. I'm pretty skinny though.

20. dinosr mustache

Out Status:
    A few people
    For FtMs I'd say try to pick up male mannerisms, for example what you do with your hands while talking/holding things/or just standing there. It may not seem like a big deal but people pick up on it.