1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I Wish I Was Gay" song.. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by midwestgirl89, Jan 2, 2012.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So stupid. I've heard straight women say they wish they were lesbian, that gay men were available to them, and now this? Sometimes I really do wish people could get what they asked for.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is a bit old, but this is my opinion on the song.

1. There is NO difference between the genders when it comes to being a shitty partner. I'm a lesbian. I have been rejected by my crushes, broken up with, cheated on, left for a man, left for another woman, lied to, and emotionally abused by girlfriends. A lot of the times the rejection I got was for the biggest bullshit reasons ever. "I'm not ready for a relationship"....oh really? Then why did you end up with a new SO a day later? Be honest, don't play fucking mind games. This is what I hate about dating women.

I've never been physically or sexually abused, but I also know some women do these things as well. And if you are sexually abused by a woman, then guess what? The law says tough shit. We have beliefs that women can't have real sex and that women are angels and can't hurt or abuse people. You are less likely to get any real justice, hell, you're likely to get zero support or understanding at all, even from some feminist communities.

2) You don't like that men break hearts and use you for sex? Good luck navigating the lesbian dating pool, sweetheart! The vast majority of our dating pool is comprised of bicurious straight girls looking to use us for an experiment and then discard us afterwards. They aren't even honest about looking for just sex. There's also the threesome fantasy, and some girls will again, use you as a object for their boyfriend's pleasure. Ever wonder where the "lesbians distrust bi girls" stereotype came from? Not that It's excusable, just that some can't tell the difference between legit bisexuality and experimental girl because of this kind of crap.

3) How many straight women want to be lesbians because they think men are pigs? Well, guess what? Being a lesbian actually makes these kind of men WORSE. You'll automatically be treated as a fetish, degraded, disrespected, and even be at risk for corrective rape. Straight men will never stop treating you like shit. I repeat, straight men will never stop treating you like shit. And not being into guys makes you even more vulnerable since there's less protection (as men respect women's boyfriends more than the idea of lesbianism).

4) Ignoring everything else, let's assume you DO find a girlfriend who is not a shitty liar, cheater, or abuser, and that you have everything in common with. Is it easier? Not really. Because now you'll lose your straight privilege, possibly be disowned by your parents and lose your job. Almost no one in my area is out for good reason. And even ignoring these problems, nobody will ever validate your sexuality and keep telling you that you need the right man. You might face conversion therapy.

5) Not. All. Straight. Men. Are. The. Same. There are decent guys. Men who would never lie (ok aside from harmless, white lies), cheat, or abuse you. There are women who would. Just because you have bad experiences with a few guys doesn't make men in general the same, you just need to look in better places.

I find this song more misguided than anything, but I see why It's considered offensive. If these straight women were turned gay for a day, I 100% bet you they would be running right back to their straight privilege.

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you pretty much summed it all up.

4. faustian1

The PTSD part of me aligns with the BradTheCat quote. I see quite a few people are similarly annoyed.

On the other hand, reading the lyrics I can see where the author might be coming from. Her lyrics do illustrate the pitfalls of reacting to problems solely by trying to avoid them in the future. From the writer's perspective, being gay would turn off the weakness she feels for boys. She doesn't write that it would create just another weakness, and of course some side effects, perhaps the same ones Brad mentioned.

5. hptrek314

I feel like it depends on how you take it, like if you're cool with jokes then I can see the humor, but also if you look at it it's a little offensive. I guess basically i'm cool with its existence but not something i'd want to listen to