1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing to be gay?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by XMisery666, Dec 26, 2011.

1. colorful

What I know and what many people have said is that you can't actually choose who you are attracted to. Being "gay" is not an action or a lifestyle really, it only has to do with your emotions (in my opinion). You are born with a sexual orientation that is all your own; society created the labels. I also agree though that I don't particularly like the "why would I choose to be oppressed" argument. I mean yeah society hates on us... blah blah blah, but society is constantly changing. It has changed over the years and it varies from country to country - even city to city. I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore, but what I'm trying to say is that since it is based on something internal (our feelings), why should we let society effect that? If you love a person then you love them.

I'm not really sure where I am in the whole list of lables and such, but that doesn't matter... I mean why does everyone have to know your exact feelings. I mean think about it, you don't even know all of the relationships you will develop within your life. It seems silly to me to have labels for this at all. I mean wouldn't it work just as well to just go through your life and when you fell in love with someone you just told them and if they loved you too they would say so. Why do you need a label to be in love with another person? Well anyway... that made no sense... :rolle:

2. LivingLife

well for me when i was a kid i used to be really girly thats why people thought i was gay even my parents this suggests i was born with it but at that time i knew i wasn't gay just the way i acted, as i grew up i began becoming manlier :L and less people thought i was gay as how i acted but then at the same time i began realizing that i get attracted to guys but i hold it back in my head and mentally slap myself and think what em i thinking! im not gay! then i matured and thought fuck it! this is who i am!

3. Merlot

qft and excellence

4. cscipio

I'm personally convinced that I was born gay (or at least with gay tendencies since I'm still trying to figure out where I am on 'the scale'). I've reflected back all the way to as far as I could remember in day care where I'd be very insistant of napping next to one of the few boys I was friends with instead of the girls I was friends with. Obviously, at that age, there was no such thing as horny (I'd assume) but I certainly 'felt good' when I did.

A more prominant memory was a little girl I used to play with. She was a year younger than me (I was 5 or 6...maybe 7). I used to tell my mom that when I play with "Megan" 'my peeper got hard' (I got in trouble for saying that in public). What I didn't tell mother was that when I played with "Justin, Kenny, or Mike" my peeper got just as hard....

5. TruffleDude

The "is it a choice" debate ought to be a major concern to gay people. If this question is somehow answered by science as "it is a choice" then there may be some major changes in the way public opinion, and thus political and legal events, trends in the future.

I understand the reasons the LGBT rights movement has poured energy into this concept, but what next if this crumbles?

I say, "If it is a choice, then so what?"

6. Elven

I doubt it will ever be easy to conclude undoubably either way and there will always be skeptics. It may also be that it is true with some and not with others. Until conclusive experiments are carried out which could be a bit un-ethical, we can only go off what LGBT people say about their thoughts, feelings and experiences. Here's my contribution; Personally I found the whole idea of getting together with anyone idiotic as a child, what was the point? Why couldn't everyone just look after themselves?

The whole idea of getting together with someone of the same sex was an even more idiotic concept since people were often criticised for it, why go through that trouble? Especially since you couldn't have children between two men or women (which was why I assumed it was a bit of a taboo, I've never paid much attention to religion and didn't realise they had such problems with LGBT until I worried about being gay myself)

I also hated the very implication of being feminine and at 3/4 years old refused to wear a specially bought necklace to a wedding, purely because I thought necklaces were girly (apparently I was miserable for the entire day). I often found that I was far better at communicating with girls than most of my male friends (though I'd say that I had more male than female friends). I also didn't feel any attractive feelings for a long time and when I did, they were only ever for males. The end. That is why I am gay, I am and always have just been attracted to men both mentally and sexually, not even in the slightest women. It does not hurt anyone and I could never "love" a women in anywhere near the right way, we'd both end up miserable.

7. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prepare for a super short post...
    In my opinion, I don't think it's a choice. To some extent, it could be a choice, but I doubt it. I think it's just like what food you do or don't like, what clothes you like to wear and what clothes you think look too plain or too sparkly or something. And then what gender you prefer, or are attracted to.
    I think that's what it's like. :slight_smile: And I think we're born like this.