Are you stereotypical?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Dec 15, 2011.

1. BudderMC

Someone else here is an eng major! I figured we didn't exist... I mean, statistically there are non-straight eng guys, but I can't say I know any. (I do however know some rather masculine lesbian eng majors)

2. IchBinNeuWiener

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The funny thing about the stereotype is that unless someone dresses head to toe in pink and maybe throw in a few rainbows and bedazzled stuff, it really only works in a few places. When I was back home in Miami, yes, gay people tended to be way more stylish than straight people and wear tighter clothes. A few exceptions of of course. When I was in México though, EVERYONE i knew could fit the stereotype at one point or another. Very tight clothes (heat stroke inducing level) a ton of them would wear pink often, they were really into clothes, and talked really often about brands and a few designer labels (most had at least one designer belt or pair of shoes). Now that I'm in Euro for Uni so many people dress euro-chick, ie form fitting clothes, pea coats, colorful scarves, those haircuts you'd see in a Zara ad arent that uncommon either, and I've seen a few colorful pants. I guess minus the haircuts and pink (but i do wear yellow and maybe some light blue), i sorta fit it, but then again, so does everyone here! The only time the stereotype has sorta worked, is with the big gay community center here, the "Rosa Villa" (rosa=pink in german) whose entire 5 floor façade is painted in hot pink (very easy to spot from the metro) So yeah, with people they don't work, with buildings they do!

3. Hexagon

Although I'm out as bi/pan on fb, no one has checked it yet, so I take that to mean I haven't raised suspicions. I don't really care tbh. I'm not stereotypically anything, although I do play a lot of computer games, which i think isn't 'gay'.

4. Dalmatian

If I am anything stereotypical, that would be opposite of gay. Or at least I think so. With my height and weight I dare say people probably don't like crossing paths with me after midnight :slight_smile: But, everyone I know would describe me as a kind and relaxed, friendly person, so just as FJ Cruiser said, although they wouldn't guess by themselves, people are usually not surprised by my homosexuality. Maybe that's a stereotype though.. that gay people are kind.. hmm.

5. Ichi42go

Usually when I come out to people they:
    A) Laugh because they think it is a joke
    B) Cock their head to the side (Maybe looking for my "Gay" angle?...) or
    C) Start wondering about all the other people around they think are straight as their perceptions of reality seem to be turned on edge.

So, I guess I am a "straight" guy who is attracted to men. And, might I add, I was ALMOST an Engineering major, but instead I am Undeclared. I still might lean that way.

6. Mister Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not really...I own guns, dress straight, I have a science degree, into outdoorsy stuff. I used to be mortified that people, especially other gays, would be able to tell I was gay.

7. Jim94

I think Im normal , I guess the only way they could suspect something would be the way I dress , not faamboyant or something but I just dont dress the same way as my brother and my friends , I dress in rock style without trying to , dont know why.
    Another reason could be the lack of interese in girls , when we are out my friends are like : wow , did you see that chick , me : yeaaaah (trying to look back and see if I can find wich girl they meant)

8. Dalmatian

As a person dear to me said: "they asked me if I saw that hot girl and of course I didn't. So I looked around and saw just one girl who was objectively pretty, turned to them and gave them the thumbs-up. I know how to play that game" :slight_smile:

During the last ten years I never had any interest in women and still nobody thought I was gay. They just assumed I was acting Mr. Righteous, not wanting to stare at boobs floating around :slight_smile: Oh well..

9. Aya McCabre

The people who know I'm gay either insist that I'm "such a lesbian" and it's really obvious or insist that I'm not gay enough and make fun of me for not knowing how to fix a tractor. (Strangely, these people usually start looking confused when I talk about the mechanics of quad skates.) The people who don't know I'm gay tend to assume I'm bi.... I get comments about looking bisexual. How exactly does one look bisexual?

10. Weswi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people almost immediately know that I am gay, but are useally suprised that I love videogames...

11. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think I'm pretty easy to spot but at the same time I'm not stereotypical because I'm entering a very 'masculine' field, criminal justice, and I can hold my own against any idiot jock and that surprises a lot of people, especially since I look like I could realistically be 15. I queen out over the best and worst dressed lists but I'm probably braver than your stereotypical het, so...

I think it takes a lot of guts to be flamboyant and gender nonconforming, honestly. Anyone who says feminine gays aren't 'manly' are just delusional.

12. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont act feminine or anything, but the music I like is very "gay" my friends joke about it and call me gay, but they dont really think Im gay.

13. FloatingPiano

I don't really fit any of the stereotypes people usually think of lesbians, except for 2. I do wear my fair share of flannel shirts, and I have a bit of a Gaga obsession. XD

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fuck dudes, other then that no

15. Markio

I think the timbre of my voice sounds kind of "gay." I'm a tenor. However, I don't use words like "bitch" and "slut," nor do I talk loudly or often. When I'm joking around I probably sound more stereotypically gay.

Sometimes people don't know I'm gay, but it's like whatever.

16. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    XD This is my favorite response.

17. J Snow

Well, no one's ever really suspected me of being queer to my knowledge.

In fact, I was in an "intro to queer studies class" and I talked to this girl for the entire class, and she swore she thought I was straight through the whole thing. IN A QUEER STUDIES CLASS *facepalm*

18. Jim94

Lol , your nice , your gay , done!
    Just kidding.
    My self I dont look inviting , I dont look like "You can come and say hi to me" , my brother always tells me how cold I act with some people.
    Of course Im nice to people but I just dont open my self(better that way) and I give people the feeling that I dont trust them.

19. FleetFish

Sort of. I pretty much always wear a t-shirt and jeans (never a dress or skirt- *barfs*) and I like outdoorsy stuff. I hate clothes shopping, and I only own three pairs of shoes. I abhor makeup.

But I also keep my hair long, and I love it that way. Long hair is basically the only 'girly' thing about me.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A running joke with me is that if you're straight, signs that you're gay are just "quirks". But if you end up being gay, they're now "proof". :slight_smile:

"Proof" that I'm gay:

Sometimes when I laugh, it ramps up into giggle territory.
    I like sitting with my legs crossed.
    I do this weird "wrist-flourish" when I point at something.

That's about it, though. I've got a deep voice, I like sports, I love rock music, I dress in sloppy T-shirts and jeans, what have you.

Lex