I feel very androgynous, but I'm confused.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WydenEmmie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    *I haven't gone to see a gender therapist yet, but my mother is supposed to call a place that my doctor gave her which has them.

Anyway, I've been thinking about my gender issue. If any of you remember how I said I'd be fine with having a vagina if I didn't menstruate and breasts if they were so small i didn't know they were there? Yeah, I still feel that way. But I'm not completely disgusted with having a vagina. I don't care that it's there, but I hate that it's so high-maintenance. Like, I want a penis because I feel like I don't have to pay any attention to it.

I feel like I'm very androgynous mentally. I dress androgynously. (Though I still don't wear dresses/skirts/make-up, etc.) I want my body to be androgynous, too. Like being a bi-gendered person, with a vagina (that doesn't leak blood) and no breasts. Kind of like being in-between both sexes. Then I could also still list myself as female on any legal stuff (college/job application etc.), right?

I'm almost postive this is how I feel. Does this make sense? Is it possible to be like this? Physically and mentally in-between? Just curious.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

2. DhammaGamer

It's very rare but a true androgyn is a real thing. I'm pretty sure androgyn's are a little different from bi-gender people because they do not specifically express themselved as either male or female. Bi-gender people swing back and forth between the genders. Androgyns are more a mix of both genders at all times. Genderqueer people have no gender or express their gender as something seperate from the male-female spectrum.

It's like:

Male<------Androgyn------>Female
    Bigender->____________<-Bigender

(Genderqueer)

Or something like that lol

3. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I found this off of a website*. This is exactly what I feel like. I'd opt for a a partial change (top surgery) to look more androgynous. Would that make me [an] androgyne?

Thanks DhammaGamer, you're advice pretty well matched what I found on that site.

*The site: http://http://androgyne.0catch.com/

4. Fiddledeedee

How you feel does make sense. I am genderqueer in some way (agendered?), I think, and also physically female. For periods (and constant/unpredictable leaks if you have them), could you go on the pill? The estrogen-only one will stop your periods altogether, but when you go to your doctor/therapist you can discuss different types and they should be able to prescribe you something if necessary. Plenty of women go on the pill just to prevent periods, and it can be offered to minors, at least in England.

There are ways to dress to conceal your chest, I think by wearing a couple layers of baggy tshirts and then maybe a button one, and when you are older you could try binding. At our age, though, I don't think surgery is allowed and it could damage the tissue to bind.

#4 Fiddledeedee, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure. I'll check with whatever gender therapist I get when my mother makes the appointent. Though, I think I've got it 3/4 figured out thanks to EC. If I can get on a pill that isn't going to cause health problems in the long run from constant use, that would be awesome! The only surgery I'd like to have to get is top surgery.

EC has been a very helpful cyber gender therapist! :slight_smile:

6. Veronica

Androgynous is not the same as intersex, it can be, but doesn't have to.

Androgynous just means male and female at the same time. Which can apply to how you feel, how you present yourself or how your genitals are, or all of the above.

7. Homo Novus

Have you tried wearing chest binders? You know, to experiment and see how you feel about your appearance while wearing one? There are some pretty high-quality ones out there that can give you an awesome dude chest. They even work for me, and I'm a DD. Haha. Just a thought.

8. Ianthe

As someone else mentioned, binding can have health risks for someone as young as WydenEmmie. That is, it's best to be sure your breasts are done developing before binding them.

9. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    @Homo Novus, the most binding I've done is sport bras and a compression shirt. So, professional binding, no. Wearing normal clothing that binds the breasts, (not necessarily intentionally on the manufacturer's part) yes. Personally, I love the result, despite it not being as close to a male's chest as I'd like.

@Veronica, I think I'll have to go with all of the above, even though I'm still currently physically female, I want to be physically androgynous. But I'm no professional on dissecting thoughts and feelings.

@Ianthe, true, true. Which is why I only bind with normal clothing that most athletes wear on a daily basis anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :slight_smile:

10. DhammaGamer

If only you could just give me your body and you could have mine, eh?

11. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    If only, I agree.