1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Stroke Turns a Straight Man Gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by British Lad, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember hearing about this a while back but i'm really not sure what to make of it. I'll definitely check out the documentary, it should be interesting - thanks for posting that.

2. Lewis

Naaaaah! I say he was gay the whole time, but the accident made him realise that he had to fulfill who he is and that life is too short.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    on what basis?

Essentially, that's calling him a liar. That's a big thing to do, without knowing him or having any evidence as backup.

4. Beertruck

Don't quote me on this, but I think there have been cases of complete personality changes after strokes.

Anyway, the point is - whether the change of his sexual orientation and personality was because of the stroke, or he had a crisis where he finally decided to come out, you have to admire how completely he's adopted his life. That guy clearly is going to live his life as he wants to, without worrying about what anyone else thinks, or about the baggage from his previous life. I wish I had the courage to do that.

5. qboy

After watching it last night (rather well done for a BBC Three documentary it has to be said) I was left with the impression that the personality changes are pretty normal for people who have had a stroke and my impression from the documentary was that this part of him really was caused by the stroke - and as part of those personality changes his view on himself and life meant he realised he was gay, something he would have probably worked out after getting married and having kids if he hadn't had a stroke.

However Beertruck said it best
    - and I really hope he is able to reconnect to his family and friends, it's a shame that at the point in his life he probably needs them the most he has become alienated from them.

6. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Very.... odd.... I don't know what to say. Somewhat reminds me of total recall.

7. Lad123

I saw the recent documentary too, and I believe that the stroke turned Chris gay. Well, maybe it just activated something in his brain, who knows. Once you get to see him and all the stuff he has been through, it really does make you think differently than just assuming from first impressions that he was just using the stroke as an excuse to live a gay life.

8. sanguine

LMAO im glad im not the only one who thought this.

and i dont buy into the documentary, the point of a documentary is to persuade with evidence, it can be and is mostly bias to bring across a point of view, and leaving out important factors which may at times be annoying and against the majority.

i seriously doubt a stroke made him a homosexual, if anything i think this just fuels the fire for those who hate being LGBT, a chance to think that maybe they too can miraculously be cured if this guy had really turned gay.

personality change may be true for stroke patients, but sexuality is not a personality.

i seriously didnt like the documentary either, imagine all the narrow minded straight people watching this thinking, 'hey its alright hes gay because he had a stroke, maybe something happened to you that left your brain damaged'.

9. Level75

I was also inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But after reading this, it does strike one a little strange. Going from being a hard-working family man with strong ties to the community to being a bum who doesn't want to work and gets mad easily is one thing. And has happened before.

But outright change in preferences from sports to, coincidentally, hairdressing? "I had a stroke and lost my interest for chemical engineering and started channeling my efforts into designing go-kart race tracks and playing Chinese checkers!" I don't even...that's just so...um...

10. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yea, what he said. i find the media dodgy and as paranoid as shit, seriously. wont believe anything they try to perpetuate into our minds.

11. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I heard about this on the radio a couple of months ago. I want to keep an open mind on it but sometimes the media can't be trusted.

12. Lewis

And I do think he's a liar, even his family and boyfriend think he's a liar! Even medical professionals have said that it's not possible! I'm sorry, but I find it insulting that he believes brain damage has made him gay. That could ESSENTIALLY mean that we are all somewhat brain damaged for being gay.

This is my general opinion on the subject of someone 'turning gay', yes TURNING gay. Don't we all try and persuade people that you don't turn gay? That's it's a natural. I do seriously believe it's all for publicity. The whole documentary made me feel like being gay is due to some trauma to the brain, that I'm defected in some way. It was insulting to watch. He makes it seem like we're all hairdressing interior designers with shitty hair styles.

I'm not the only person that has said it's bullshit, others have too, so please don't try make me out to be the bad person. It's my opinion. I apologise for coming across a little erratic, but yeah, I don't know for definite, but this is the impression I get from the whole charade.

#32 Lewis, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, your reaction is emotional, irrational, accusatory and potentially very harmful.

14. Just Adam

Im so glad it aint just me who called bull on this. The documentary was bad it was literally him being told over and over its extremely unlikely it " made " him gay and at most brought a trait that was always there.

I hated how he was so caught up on why he was like this and what made him like this instead of just being thankful he was alive and had somebody who loved him. What i also found sad the whole scenario. It may be true but i doubt it, however it almost feels like all this trying to prove a stroke made him gay is like an attempt to show his mum and all the people whos relationships have broken down with him that he wasnt really gay himself that something changed him like that doesent make him really gay.

Its a massive shame though that he wasnt just happy. I really hope he hasnt used somethng as serious as a stroke as a means to come out hoping for minimal damage hoping even those that believe being gays a choice might believe its because of his accident.

All in all i dont know if hes telling the truth or not but it seems wrong. Im bias tho i guess in hoping this was him trying to come put or making a few quid because if its true it means if somethin can make you gay then somethibg can make us straight.

At the end of the day the immediate thing that upsets me is how now hes gay hes suddenly turned into a walking stereotpe. I mean wrf ! From clothin to hair to profession even to the minitire little dog ... Its like why ? This isnt because your gay this is tryin to conform to a stereotype thats stupid. Gay people dont need to all have bleached hair and a lisp. If its who you really are that great express it. If you decide to be this way just because your gay then your helping to polarise all of us in the public image.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

@pseudo

Theres nothing wrong with being emotional if focused. Its deffinatly not irrational. I fully understand the argument that it can be seen as him saying brain damage has effectivly made him gay and thatsays something about all gay people.

Everyway i look at this its sad.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This doesn't even make sense?

It's completely irrational, both your and other denials are based on desire to disbelieve rather than any real evidence to the contrary. Some of the replies in this thread have been paradigms of irrationality and emotional kneejerk reaction.

16. FuryOfFirestorm

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing I'm worried about is that this will encourage "ex-gay therapy" frauds like Marcus Bachmann to induce strokes in gay people to "turn" them straight.

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a genuine concern, but those people pay so little attention to science in general that any attempt to do so in this case would be transparently straw-clutching and desperate.

18. TheGreyMan

Huh. I really do wonder.

I mean it's most likely that he just decided to come out after that experience, but could a stroke cause some sort of change in the brain which could alter your sexuality? It's weird to think about it.

Welp. I didn't even think about that. That is absolutely terrifying.

19. Jake21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I heard about this. I would hope this would prove to the world that you don't choose your sexuality. You're the born with sexuality.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt that happened. I mean, he was probably gay to begin with, but something about the stroke did damage to whatever part of his brain deals with shame or inhibition.

That's just my Occam's Razor talking though. It's possible that it could have made him gay, but that's a hell of a lot more circuity to rearrange than what I suggested above.