1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of place do you live in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Where do you live?

1. Capital City

14.3%
  2. City

34.7%
  3. Town

35.7%
  4. Village

7.1%
  5. Traveler

1.0%
  6. My house is isolated

7.1%
  1. Mad Man L

(Capital) City. State Capital, that is. :grin:

I live about 10-15 minutes from the Brisbane CBD, in quite a wealthy 'white' suburban area. Everything is close, which is great, some of my friends live closer to Ipswich or Logan than the CBD (For those in those other capitals: Think Paramatta relative to Sydney).\

Brisbane is boring, though.

2. Porphyrogenitus

^ same city as him. Except that *Brisvegas* is wayy not boring :grin:

3. lostinthought9

As a college student, I have two places as well. So, I'm not sure where to vote on the poll. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I attend college in Baton Rouge, and it's a nice-sized city.

Back home, I live about 10 miles outside of a small town. My house is pretty isolated (dirt country road). xD

4. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I can be found 200+ kilometers away from the capital or at least a 4-hour trip from there O.O. I know, it's just so ridiculous but it's true. Civilization seems to have not reached this place that much yet. I at least know that I'm one of the most updated people in the next 5-kilometer radius (~o~)

I really came from a distant famous city in my country, which is a day's trip to get to. I'm an urban person, later converted to a rural one because of stupid family problems ~3~ And I hate it very much....

5. FJ Cruiser

I'm going to school in central Austin, which has the whole bohemian reputation, but it's also yuppie and undeniably Texan. It's progressive, urban, and scenic by my standards, and the music scene is amazing. I love that I can bike to all the weekend festivals, and outdoors activity is very closeby.

I'm from a small city of 250,000 out in the middle of nowhere which is known for its hyper-conservative politics, the average state university there, and its being surrounded by flat, treeless plains. It wasn't terrible growing up there (it's actually nicer than you'd think), but I'm glad I got out.

6. Jim1454

I live in Newmarket Ontario, which is 55km north of Toronto - Ontario's capital. Newmarket has a population of about 80,000 but really most municipalities in the Toronto area make up one big metropolitan area with a population of about 5 million people. I've always lived in the Toronto area, and love it. There's no reason to leave. It's one of the most multicultural places in the world, and I think one of the most tollerant. It's a great area to live in many respects.

Commuting is hell though. Traffic is awful, and I have a 65km commute (one way) which sucks. But I live close to my kids - which I'd rather do than live close to my work. Life is full of trade offs.

7. Hot Pink

I live in the middle of frickin' nowhere. We're fairly isolated out here. I live nearby a village and I'm roughly eight miles away from a town. I have to travel 40 minutes by car--30 of those minutes on the interstate in either direction--to get to a small city. If I want to go to a large city, that'll take roughly two hours.

8. Vesper

I live in the capital city of a state in the USA, so I chose capital city. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect size and location.

9. starfish

That is the main thing that I liked about Toronto. It was so diverse. I remember walking down Dundas St and walking through several ethnic neighborhoods.

Now a 65Km commute. That would suck.

10. Noahroxursox

The town I live in is pretty small, two or three streets behind my house is a different ZIP code, and maybe half a mile, three quarters of a mile in front of my house is a third ZIP code... The town is pretty densely populated though, with about 6,500 people. The sad thing about my town is that the name always makes people think of a time in Vermont with a lot of drugs and hippies

11. Haberdasher

I live in a rural community known for raising race horses and such in Florida. Mostly full of old people or farm workers. Step up from where I was born which was a nearby mill town that always smelled awful. Like Hot Pink it's 30-40 minutes to get to a city of reasonable size and two hours to get to a large city.

12. Harve

I like on a farm near the highest village and town in the UK. Though at a rather pathetic 450m, they're still not very high by global standards. But living in a National Park is amazing tbqh, although not very exciting at all, I don't think I'll get bored of where I live and it doesn't get any less lovely with each year of living here, especially when I have to commute to a DULL neither-here-nor-there town each day.

[​IMG]

It can snow from mid September (apparently!) to early June. Except chances are, it'll be 5C and drizzling.

#32 Harve, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  13. blikeo

im in Raleigh. It is North Carolina's Capital City

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2011 at 05:51 PM ----------

Lubbock?

14. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I live in a strong religious suburb, the center of our neighborhood is a huge Catholic church, and if you go far enough south (not much) is a medium size industrial park. our neighborhood is made of middle-upper to upper class, it's mostly quiet but we don't have any GLBT support

15. Nodnarb

Here at college, I'm living in a town of about 60,000. Half of that is made up of college students. Pretty typical college town, I guess. Younger, wealthier, more highly educated, more liberal, and much more racially diverse than the rest of the state. The Townies have done their best over the years to prevent any progress or growth. Very frustrating. But it's a nice town in spite of them. We're about a 30 minute drive north of Des Moines, the capital of Iowa. The DSM metro is around 550,000 people.

Back home, I'm from a small, conservative town of around 5,500. We're part of the Omaha, Nebraska/Council Bluffs, Iowa metro area, which is around 900,000 people.

Just what I was going to ask. Calling Tech "average" would be a big compliment. They're essentially a glorified community college. But I digress...

16. J Snow

Well, I live in Clive, which is a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa. I can be downtown in less then 10 minutes though I just put capitol city...

17. FJ Cruiser

Indeed.

Tech really is a decent school, but seeing as how Iowa State completely rolled over them tonight, I can see where you'd think otherwise.

18. Nodnarb

We're practically neighbors!:lol: I stop in Clive to get gas every time I drive home from Ames, actually.

They're generally ranked at the bottom of the conference in academics (along with K-State and Ok State), so that's where that comment was coming from. And beating their football team 93-45 over the past two seasons has been pretty awesome:grin:

19. RedKnight

Upper Hutt is the smallest city in population in New Zealand but second largest in land area per council.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a suburb about 1 hour and 45 minutes away from Chi-Town (Chicago)