1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any WRITERS Here on EC?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Messed Up, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write short stories. I can never write novels, I get a bit into them and start picking them apart then delete the files (and in one case, set fire to the papers I was writing on and throw it in the river near my house).

I quite like my short stories though. The tend to be quiet empty, and sad, with lots of space (if that makes sense) and not very much dialogue compared to description and actions.

I think the favourite thing I've ever written was my A-Level English coursework. It was called 'The Hostess' and it was about a woman in her 30's who married an investment banker she met at university and now finds her life as a housewife unbearable. It starts with her make-up all smeared and then she comes downstairs and tidies her house and decorates a tree for a Christmas party.

I submitted it for my coursework and got 20/20.

My poetry was whiney and shit so I stopped writing.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>My poetry was whiney and shit so I stopped writing.

Isn't EVERYBODY's early poetry whine-y and shit? :slight_smile: It seems everybody starts out writing poems not about sunshine lollipops and rainbows, but about existential angst, and the meaningless of life, and how life is a joke. There was a comic I used to read where one of the characters (who was a poet/writer) would go to open-mic poetry slams. Not to read his own work, but because "hearing everybody's first attempt at poetry is so painful, it puts me in the perfect place to compose my own work". I always thought that was great. :slight_smile:

And I wrote plenty of fanfiction. Much of it about cartoons. And much of it written past my 30th birthday. And I'm not ashamed of any of it. :slight_smile: I think it helped my writing a lot, and I still think most of my stories stand up today. (Most, not all.)

Lex

3. Haberdasher

Actually, I could only ever write joke poetry in the vein of Shel Silverstein and Ogden Nash. Dark as I could ever get was some gallows humour. Unlike theirs, however, mine was not actually good.

Currently I am working on a comic. It is slow going though, I think I am more an artist than a writer.

4. Kohut

Kohut Guest

Hi! Writing is like a necessity to me. I keep a journal were I write what happens in my life, and my favourite part about it is that I can remember every date and when a certain event happened in my life. I can see how I failed in the past and it helps me to avoid making the same mistakes again. I also think that it is very important for any writer. A journal can be very boring, specially if you don't practice and don't write in it regularly, but it can also improve your writing.
    In addiction to my journal, I write on my blog, though it's not as personal. I like to write there about some dreams I have, describe the world around me as I see it and some particular parts of my life that I find interesting to share. I love to write and it's one of my great pleasures [necessities] in life.

5. Noir

Yay!! Another writer!! I'm actually studying to be a writer as a career and major in it in college. I've already got a recommendation from my school's creative writing teacher and she thinks I can be a professional. ^-^ I write psychological thrillers. *grins*

It's no fun to be stuck for ideas, but I've always carried around a notebook. I love paper and materialistic writing. Unless I want a final draft of something, everything's on paper. I can just browse by flipping through the pages and seeing what I've written so far, but I have figured a trick or two for people with writer's block. If you're a tech person and type on a computer, turn the monitor off once you've got a blank Word doc open. Otherwise, a pencil and paper is just fine. Once the screen is blank you won't worry about typos that slow you down, and write for five minutes or so your stream of consciousness.

Whatever pops into your head, that's what you write, uncensored. It's really fun, creative, and most of the time I can pull an idea for a story from it once I've turned the monitor back on and look at what I've got.

For poetry inspiration I make three columns, one for adjectives, one for nouns, and one for verbs. I look up a random word generator and set it to the type of word I want, and whatever I think sounds interesting, onto the list it goes! When I'm done I line up what three words make a line and it turns into a really creative, silly poem! (This really works--once I used this method for a poetry project and after tweaking the lines a bit it sounded awesome! xD)

Have you considered joining an online roleplaying website? Two years ago it was all the rage among my friends to RP and so I signed up with one of my friends to join a writing forum. I was the girl who talked very little but wrote more than any other student, past or present, that my middle school English teacher had ever seen. The catch was that I would rather have swallowed my tongue than to share it with others. For years I only wrote among myself and my friends, so I never really improved. I don't do fan fiction, but for my RP's I would create a completely original story that helped me grow in two years as a writer more than about...eight years, I think, of writing by myself. You get so many different view points and styles to reflect off of and improve yourself with. I can't tell you how much it's helped me! (Plus, you have at least one more person to help you if you get stuck on what to write!:icon_wink)

6. Daisy1

So many writers on EC! I'm sporadic - I tend to get committed to a topic and write frequently, and then stop for a while. My current focus is a wine blog. PM me if you'd like the link.

7. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello. Nice too see a post like this. I am an author, and I have a book about to be published.

I write on a desktop computer not connected to the internet, that way I can't have anyone hack me like they did to Stephanie Meyer. My friends have written fan fictions, and they all get really good reviews, I can ask them if you'd like? PM me if you want a link to their fan fics XD

8. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy writing ^.^

I usually swap in between my laptop and paper+pencil, paper for when I have ideas and need to write them down and my laptop when I'm finalizing everything and adding detail.

Most of my character ideas are projections of myself (as corny as that may seem), and each character embodies part of my personality.

If I put my mind to it I can crank out several pages a day but I don't always feel up to writing. It kills my progress =/

My advice would be to find a nice quiet place where you won't be bothered by loud noises and where you feel comfortable and then just pick up the pencil and start writing everything that comes to mind. Then when you have a page full of ideas take the one you like best and just start writing about that, it doesn't even have to make any real sense because you are just getting the idea down. From there you can continue writing and ironing out the details ^.^

9. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I write my stories on a notebook with pen. In hopes of typing it one day hahaha
    When I write, it may not be wise. But I makeup things as I go. So its as if I really am the character and making decisions that affect my story. To me, it feels more...natural

10. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Really? With my stories they have beginnings, middles, and ends but the in-betweens are impossible to get to. How do you start in the middle? That sounds like an intriguing idea. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2011 at 10:42 PM ----------

Same with me but I always neglect to digitize them and in this digitized world that’s where we spend the most time. So, when I write things down in a book it just seems like it stays there until I come across it years later :s I usually carry a sketchbook with me at all times but that’s a different story (and medium hee hee).

I think I should start creating plot diagrams and rising action triangles again much like how you’ve reminded me :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2011 at 10:46 PM ----------

One of my besties and I are getting in that stage in our friendship- we share our pieces and ideas as aspiring writers/creative people and ask for critiques. I think we’re going to develop that more as our friendship grows. She’s writing a play based on my artwork and I’m so honoured!

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2011 at 10:47 PM ----------

And my characters are ALL based on me or ways I would love to be. I’m writing a bad-ass gay character who doesn’t give a shit about people and I WISH I was more like him LOL!

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2011 at 10:50 PM ----------

my writer bestie encouraged me to do the EXACT same thing! She told me about this and it’s amazing you brought it up!!!

11. ukeye

ukeye Guest

:smilewave

you got me - love to write, have done so for the past few years.. I, like a lot of us start things and never return.

There is nothing more therapeutic than putting that pen to paper to get your thoughts out. I like reading a lot, so a lot of the time I will focus on that rather than writing.. but one day, one day I will complete a story I'm sure :icon_bigg

12. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

"With standard fiction, you're starting with a blank page. That's nice if you like creating from scratch, but it makes it hard to know where even to begin.”

That’s my problem. I started fanfiction-ing when I was a child- mostly continuing stories of the Oz characters from the books, not the film. Now, I do comic books for fun, mainly with X-Men characters as art is my strongest suite, and writing a secondary one. But, being original is very difficult. I have these great original characters in me but how does one flesh them out is my problem :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2011 at 11:21 PM ----------

"Whatever pops into your head, that's what you write, uncensored”.

- I need to do this more often because I often have a KILLER idea (especially after a dream) and then it disappears. I do have a dream journal. Makes for great artistic/creative imagery.

"I write on a desktop computer not connected to the internet”.

A GENIUS idea! So simple yet so effective! How easy it is to just Facebook and get so easily distracted! I think I should do that! And unplug the TV too, but my non-creative family might get pissed! LOL!

13. Fusileer

Fusileer Guest

I also write, although I haven't in a very long time. Major case of writer's block. :frowning2:

14. toaster

I enjoy writing as well but always left it out when I am losing my ideas and passion. The only work I finished it was a short love story dedicated to my best friend. Everyone liked it ( I guess so )

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone going to do Nanowrimo this year? For those that don't know, Nanowrimo is 'National Novel Writing Month' where you write 50,000 words of fiction across the entire month of November. I've never done it before, but was thinking of doing it this year as I have an idea for it. :slight_smile:

16. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of it before but it was mentioned in this thread a couple of times so I just signed up

I already have a few ideas

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I usually start my stories right in the middle of a conversation between characters and just go from there. When you only have 45 minutes to write you really don't get the luxury of a gentle beginning and stuff. Opening a story with conversation throws open all the doors for you too, without the story moving at a slow pace right from the start with a lot of description. I think it's easier to write that way, but maybe I'm just weird like that. xD

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write on my computer, but I don't always write from start to finish, I might write certain parts then fill in the gaps, depends on my mood

19. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    I have always wanted to write and have a children's book practically written in my head already as well as a unique (I think) idea for a series. The series needs a group of people to collaborate, and unfortunately I haven't found enough like minded people yet! It is one of my goals to finish a book one of these days.

20. LegitRomance

I'm actually finishing up my first novel (hoping to publish it before I turn 16, that's be an accomplishment)
    As for your questions, I do both notebook writing/laptop document writing, I develop character through certain characteristics I see in different people from day to day and the only advice I can give you is to not give up, if you really want to write then push yourself and take workshops to enrich your writing technique. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: