1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my religious father

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Homo Novus, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Homo Novus

So this actually happened a while back, but I just haven't had the time to log into EC very often and hence haven't gotten the chance to share the story yet.

So I've been out to all of my friends and peers for the longest time, but I was still apprehensive about coming out to my family. However, I wanted to do so very badly, but am just not good at stepping up and just doing it. I always end up getting cold feet and procrastinating. So anyway, here's how I ended up coming out to my very religious father, whose reaction I was very worried about:

First of all, I was already out to pretty much everyone, and wanted to be open with everyone, including my family. So I simply changed my relationship status on Facebook to "in a relationship" (I have a girlfriend that I've been seeing for quite some time now). Then, I got a call from my dad the next day, and he happily informed me that he noticed my relationship status, and asked who the lucky "one" was... Note the gender-neutral tone! I was scared to death, but told him, "about that, there's something I've been meaning to tell you..." and he stopped me there and said "I think I know who it is." So I replied, "Oh yeah? Who?" and he responded with my girlfriend's name! He was totally onto me and never let on. Anyway, he was super cool with it. Gave me a hug, said he loves me and is proud of me, and said he's glad that I'm happy. He even invited my girlfriend and I to have dinner with him and his fiancee one evening, which went very well. :slight_smile: My girlfriend and I were both very appreciative of his understanding and acceptance. He treated my girlfriend as part of the family, and afterwards even told me that he welcomes her into the family as he thinks she is such a great girl. We're both so over-the-moon that we're open about us with him and that he is so cool about it!!! (!)

2. ICTOAUN

Haha whatt? That sounds like the perfect coming out story. Jealous.
    This deserves a dancing banana(!)

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Congrats! Sounds like it went super well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm really happy for you that he took it so well

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! Sometimes people don't react the way that you expect then too.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like it went great! :grin: I'm really glad to hear that it went so good for you. Reactions can be a surprise sometimes, and in this case a good one.

6. Sadepeura

Haha, that's awesome! I'm so glad your dad was so supportive and welcoming to your girlfriend. :slight_smile: And it's great that he had realised that you two were in a relationship without you even needing to tell him.

7. jimL

OMG that is so cool. I'm so glad that he reacted so positively. I was scared as could be when I told my parents and my dad told me that he suspected over the years, which made it easier for everyone. I am just so happy for you and your gf. Congratulations.

8. EM68

Aww that is such a nice coming out story. Congrats!

9. seeksanctuary

Congrats! That's amazing. :]

10. YeonAh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This just makes me smile, I'm so happy for you :slight_smile: Still struggling with myself to come out to my own father (the only one I'm still hiding it from apart from grandparents, who would have a heart attack), so this really hits home with me.

11. breakdown38

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's such an awesome story! I'm glad your coming out to your father went so well! :slight_smile:

12. Eleanor Rigby

That's awesome ! Your dad is wonderful :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing !

13. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, right now you sound like the luckiest girl on the planet to me. Literally.

Congrats! :slight_smile:

14. george678

:eek: Well done! I'm so happy for you. :slight_smile:

15. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing! I am so scared about telling my father, he's my best friend, but has openly voiced his 'dislike' for gays. I think my Mom knows, and I think my Dad is starting to guess... but wow! You are so lucky! Thank you for sharing, this gives me a little more inspiration to tell him...

16. Vesper

Glad he took it well! It must be a huge relief.