1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FB 'Interested In' status = gay/unsure?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bi As A Kite, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Bi As A Kite

I know this is kinda similar to my 'having the guts to change FB info' thread, but i'd like direct discussion on this particular thing.

Why else would someone hide it, and keep all the other details visible, eh? Sure it at least confirms that person is questioning. Discuss!

2. Artemicion

Hahaha, yes it's possible. I had mine visible before...but that was when I was till in denial. But after a while I made a huge change to my privacy settings...so...pretty much everything is blank for me now and...hidden.

But then again there's always those privacy/paranoid people and only allows certain people on to their friends list etc.

Pretty much you can't tell for sure unless you ask them.

3. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I didn’t put ANY info regarding Facebook personal details on my profile. Not because I don’t want people to ask questions, but because it’s no one’s fucking business. I am a proud Christian however I did NOT put in my religious views. I’m a staunch liberal but I did NOT put in my political views. I like cock and vag but I didn’t put in my “Interested In” for my sexual views.

Why?

Because it ain’t no one’s fucking business.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Why? Because it ain’t no one’s fucking business.

But it certainly appears it's only the non-straight folks who ever feel this way. In short, it's telling them without telling them. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. whatsnormal7

thats what i think- but i asked a straight friend and she said she doesnt see it that way so idk.. but if i see someone and it doesnt say i think they r not straight because thats what mine is

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My sister is straight, and her "Interested in" field is blank. It's a nice thought, certainly, if you're looking at the profile of someone whom you think is attractive and you see that that area is left blank and you assume that that means they're in hiding, but you really can't be sure.

7. Sadepeura

Most people are probably not using facebook as a dating site so it doesn't really matter. Many people leave it blank because they don't feel the need to tell everyone which sex they are interested in. Especially because they are not looking for anyone on facebook.

Many of my facebook friends have it blank - both gays and straights. And bisexuals too.

So if I see someone having it blank, in my opinion it just means that they don't feel that it's necessary to publicise it on facebook. It's completely irrelevant information. Only stalkers want to know it. Sure, it's possible that they are gay or bisexual but they could just be sensible straight people who don't feel that it's necessary to tell the world of facebook that they are straight just so that no one would think that they are gay.

8. Beachboi92

You have to look at it within the context of what you know about the person. For example the other day i met someone for the first time. They gave me a vibe that lead me to think they may be gay. We barely talked at all but they added me on facebook. I noticed they did not have their interested field up, so i think the chance of them being gay or bi is probably a sure thing xD

A different guy i know has his field filled out with the interested in only on women. However i have talked to him and learned he is bisexual or pansexual (he simply thinks he is straight but different or something xD). Obviously this kid is attracted or capable of being with both sexes.

My 12 year old cousin is incredibly christian, home schooled, and sheltered. Her interested in is not filled out. Pretty sure she is straight and simply is to sheltered from those things but i guess it has yet to be seen xD she has not given me a reason to think she is a lesbian though.

9. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    About 90% of my friends on Facebook don't have their 'Interested In' section filled out, at least publicly. I know they're not all gay/bi/questioning.

Personally, I don't have any information public on Facebook.

10. FJ Cruiser

About a month ago I actually stopped lying and changed it from "women" to blank. I then deleted the announcements that I had changed it (that would have been a dead giveaway, which I'm not ready for at the moment).

I have to admit that if I get vibes from a guy, I check their box and take it as a possible sign if it's not filled out. Though most of my friends have it filled out, there are a lot who don't and I know they're straight. I think most people don't read much into it.

11. maverick

I only assume people are gay if they are a) male with "interested in men" checked, or b) women with "interested in women" checked.

Everyone else is a toss-up.

12. Mad Man L

^ this. If "Interested In" is missing, it can mean a few things:

1. They simply cbf putting their 'Interested In' down. But typically, if that is the case, a lot of other things on their profile have one-word responses, an 'I lik dik' from that hack from a few months ago (for men) or have very little info full stop.

2. They don't wish to list it. Some people just don't want to put their life story on Facebook.

3. They're closeted. The least likely of the three. That being said, someone could still list 'Women' (assuming they're male) and still be closeted. I know I did that, and just quietly added 'Men' (so now my interested shows "Men and Women").

13. needshelp

unless you're out the closet and everybody that you want to know knows, then you better leave that interested in the opposite sex box checked. i know i still do even though i'm in the same boat as you, man.

14. Nollaig20

Too be fair, mines was always listed "Interested in women", I only recently changed it to "Blank" because I only started acknowleding these feelings in my head. If I was to come out, I still wouldn't list "Interested in men", not because I was hiding it but because its no ones business. I know what you are thinking, "He didn't have a problem telling people his business when he was interested in women" right? Yes thats true, but that was deep denial where I was consumed with wanting people to know I was "Straight".

-- Aiden

15. x2x2x2x2y2

If a person doesn't have their "interested in" section filled out, I assume s/he's gay/bi and in the closet.

16. sanguine

thats a really weird assumption

oh im a parawhore too :grin:

17. Uniboth

My interested in is set at Men and Women. I've always thought that people of both genders are interesting. Sexually, I'm pretty much of the singular-gender orientation...

Wouldn't it be nice if what you say is the case, but I think it's just some people and their need for privacy.

18. BasketCase

Pretty much everyone on my friends list has their 'Interested In' field blank.

While I would dearly love to believe that they are gay/bi it is inconceivable that even 5% of them are. A blank interested in means nothing IMO.

19. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really sure what to make when I see a person is blank. I get when people don't want others to see for privacy or something but when they fill out everything except the 'interesed in' field I start to wonder. It could be becasue they are gay/bi but maybe it's becasue they assume everyone knows they're straight so there is no reason to fill it out.

Personally, I like believe that it's a sign but most likely they're straight and just didn't feel the need to say anything. At least from my experiences.

20. Bosco

I personally feel like, unless you're actually unsure about who you're interested in (or you're uncomfortable with everyone knowing), you should fill that bit of information in.
    It really helps to save a lot of people from false hope and unnecessary disappointment :frowning2:

But yea, to be realistic it's not safe to assume anything about anyone.